Removing Odors From Plastic Containers

I buy coffee from the warehouse store in very big plastic containers. I'd love to re-use these containers for food storage, but even after I wash them on the top shelf of my dishwasher, they still smell like coffee. I'm afraid that anything I store would pick up the coffee smell. Any idea how to get the smell out of the plastic container?

Sharon from Yulee, FL

Removing Coffee Odor From Plastic Coffee Containers

I agree with the previous post. Use WHITE VINEGAR, but if your containers are really large, you may need to use more vinegar than stated, maybe even 2 cups then soak overnight.

Vinegar and Lemon Juice are natures disinfectants, and odor removers. (09/13/2006)

By Cyinda

Dawn Ultra dish detergent has a new product to erase odor in dishes. It is a splash of lime odor eraser. (09/14/2006)

By Hannah01

Try stuffing it with lightly crushed newspaper and putting it in the sun for a few days. (09/14/2006)

By Linda

I use white vinegar about 1/2 cup or less and let it set out. It has worked or I used baking soda alone

and just shake it once in a while and it also works.
good luck (09/14/2006)

By meoowmom

I have not tried this but try placing the can in the sun for a day. This is supposed to remove tomato stains from plastic containers and odors from plastic containers. (09/15/2006)

By Gvoisard

Add 1 tablespoon of liquid household bleach to a gallon of cool water and pour into the container.

Let the solution remain in the container for 10 minutes, then pour out.

Rinse the container with purified water. Pour out the rinse water and let dry. Do not wipe dry with paper towels, hand towels, etc. These may harbor germs which will leave bacteria in the container.

You now have a completely sanitized container!

NEVER use hot water! Hot water weakens plastic and may cause it to warp or become thin in some areas.

Never reuse "one-time" use containers such as plastic water bottles, party cups or plastic cutlery, unless the label says "safe for reuse!" These items are not designed to be be reused, nor can they be completed and safely cleaned since they cannot withstand a hot enough water temperature to be sanitized. They have been manufactured with small imperfections (ridges, rims, inconsistent surfaces) which harbor germs and can make you sick! (03/01/2007)

By ivy

I have used bleach many times it does not work well. I will try the vinegar now. Will let you know if it works. (02/08/2008)

By Cathy

I have to trim the cone coffee filters to fit my little maker so I use the trimmings to keep odors out of everything! I'm sure any kind of coffee filter would work=I always put em in my tupperware with the lids on and don't have that plastic smell when I go to use them. Of course I'm lucky enough to have the space to store em like that. No more searching for lids! (01/10/2010)

By nancyintx

Try using used dryer sheets to absorb the odor inside of the plastic coffee cans

Reusing Plastic Coffee Cans, A plastic red container of ground coffee.
Reusing Plastic Coffee Cans
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Uses for Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Thai food in a plastic container
Removing Odors from Plastic Containers
Uses for Plastic Dog Food Containers