Removing Odors From a Mattress

Through normal usage a mattress can develop noticeable unpleasant odors. This is a guide about removing odors from a mattress.

January 21, 2016 Flag

30 years ago, I started using Avon sprinkle bath powder to sprinkle on my rugs for them to smell fresh. After leaving on a few minutes, I vacuumed it up. I also have sprinkled my favorite Avon bath powder on top of my mattress cover rubbing in the powder before putting on the sheets. I also sprinkle a little on the pillow before I put back the slip cover. The room smells great and so does the bed. Years later, a spray came out to spray on your covers, couch, etc. However, it left a wet film. The powder doesn't.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 5, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about remove urine odors from a mattress. A strong smell that can be difficult to remove from a mattress.

Mattress

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 8, 2006 Flag

I am renting and my landlord gave us a kingsize bed. My problem is that the mattress smells from body odor and where ever it was stored. How can I get that odor out? I have tried Febreze and Lysol. It is driving us crazy.

Thanks,
Cwazywabbit from Ripley, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Regardless of how much of the odor you can remove I would encase the mattress in plastic and then put a mattress cover over top of that before putting your sheets on. You are then protected from anything distasteful left on the mattress as well as any lingering odor.

Best Answer

I would sleep on an air mattress before I would sleep on a mattress that smelled of body odors or any other kind of odors. But if you insist on keeping the bed, you could dilute white distilled vinegar with water in a spray bottle and spritz the mattress. Don't soak it, just spray it on lightly and allow to dry. I read this in a little book on many uses for vinegar.

Save your money and buy a new mattress.

Best Answer

baking soda and borax should do the trick, but as others have said, best to get a mattress cover.

Best Answer

Put the mattress out in the sun. The sun has ultraviolet rays the kill bacteria that causes smells. I do this regularly with my pillows that I can not wash as they are latex. Pillows smell much nicer after a day in the sun!

Best Answer

Walmart has the mattress covers for $8-$15 bucks, then go to overstock.com and buy yourself a 2inch memory foam topper for under $70. Now your sleeping on a new bed with no smell since the vinyl mattress cover is stopping the funk

Best Answer

I realize I am a little late on this. A very very good vacuuming with a beater bar is first. Then I would go buy an enzyme cleaner (like for cat and dog urine). Spray the mattress good and let it sit for a good 10 minutes. Then blot with towels or if you have a shop vacuum suck it up with that. It that does not do it. Then I highly recommend getting rid of the mattress.

As for the memory foam mattress. I would call the company, especially after only 6 or so months and raise hell. That mattress cost a fortune and I would want them to take care of it.

Good luck!!

If the smell is your only concern, tuck a few fabric softener sheets under the edges of the mattress.

I found out that a spray bottle of vinegar seems to do the trick. Allow drying time before you do this. Just spray it on and then when damp apply baking soda. Take a scrub brush and brush it into the mattress. When almost completely dry, take a vacuum with a beater bar and sweep off the excess. Again, open some windows, you will smell the vinegar. Once it's dry, you won't smell the odor or the vinegar. Then get a mattress protector at walmart--$7-15 and just regularly wash the sheets. I found out with bed wetters this was the simplest and inexpensive way to clean the odors out. When you wash the sheets, wash them in a soap with enzymes and about 2 cups of white vinegar--they will be fresher than ever! Good Luck!!

Corn starch is the answer. Everyone always forgets about it and uses baking soda. First spritz the mattress all over with vineger in a spray bottle ( lightly spray..don't soak it) After about 2 hrs sprinkle the corn search all over the mattress. Let sit at least 4-5 hrs. I left mine on the whole day, so the longer the better. Then vaccuum up the corn starch. If that don't get your stink out, nothing will.

This was a tip from Heloise in a magazine I get. I'm sure most of you know who she is. I inherited a mattress that smelled like "old person" tried everything I could find on the Internet to remove the smell and nothing worked. Saw the magazine article....tried it...old person smell gone. Heloise said its possible you may have to repeat the process several times to remove strong odors. Good luck!

Right now any size bed re Concierge Collection Mattress cover is on sale at HSN. Just got mine for m CA King Size bed for $59.00 on flex pay and wow, what a bargain and water proof too. June 10, 2016

May 29, 2007 Flag

When I walk into our bedroom I am hit almost immediately with a foul musty smell. It is coming from the bed. I change the bedding on a monthly basis. How can I get rid of the smell and where is it coming from? Should I buy new pillows, etc.? Any help will be much appreciated as I am quite ashamed of people coming to our home in case they go in our room and smell it. Its definitely the bed, nowhere else.

DONNA from UNITED KINGDOM

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Strip down the bed completely and wash everything. Vacuum the matteress and under the bed. Then either spray with Febreze and let air for awhile, or sprinkle with baking soda, let sit for at least an hour, and then vacuum again. Our bodies shed about a gram of skin a day. Dustmites feed on that and they poo about 20 times a day. It is also very important to replace your pillows every few years.

Best Answer

I change our bed at least once a week. Maybe this would help.

Best Answer

It sounds as if you have mildew in your mattress, which is a serious health hazard. You probably should replace the mattress with a new one; then purchase a damp-proof mattress cover which completely covers the new mattress. Change your bedding weekly and make sure your bedroom is amply ventilated. If the area you live in is damp consider a dehumidifier. If you see black mould on your walls, however, you need to get a professional in to take care of it promptly. My granddaughter was infected with mould that was growing within her bedroom wall and not visible and has permanent lung damage as a result.

Best Answer

Take everything you can out to the yard on a sunny day and leave it in the sun for as long as you can. The ultraviolet light in the sunlight will kill the bacteria that is causing the smell.

Have you seen those shows on TV where they show some of the mattress factories reusing old filthy mattresses as a base and putting new material on top, then selling them as NEW? There is absolutely no way of cleaning that up unless you tear the whole thing down and start over. The TV shows were telling how some of the customers were getting lung diseases, etc. from these mattresses. Thing is, you don't KNOW unless you poke around your mattress. Yuck.

try changing bed sheets spray with lysol

Get rid of the matress and get futon (foam matress pads, Japanese style). You can hang these out to air several times a year and have no problem at all. (I live in Japan and this is how everyone keeps their matresses smelling fresh in this humid country.)

Cantate

try baking soda and letting it sit on Mattress then vaccum it out my Grand Mother did this regularly because someone wet the bed years ago on the bed she told me. And it did not smell any more.

I strip my bed in front of an open window for at least 30 minutes every day and change bed linens weekly. Once a week, I also put my pillows outside to air and get some sun. Pillows need to be washed regularly; say every six weeks.

Good luck!

I have the same problem California. I tryd everything! Just have to buy a new Matt and a good bed cover.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsApril 6, 2016
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cleaning a Mattress
Cleaning a Mattress
Mattress
Remove Urine Odors from a Mattress
Mattress Cover
Repairing A Plastic Mattress Cover
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 10:29:16 AM on 10.0.1.21 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.