CarpetCleaning

Removing Old Dog Pee in Large Carpets

Does anybody know what I can use in a carpet cleaner (shampooer) to get old dog pee smell out of 3 very large carpets? When I got my first dog and I live in a upper and it was very hard for me to get out of the house to get him outside to pee. I found out about pee pads and use them, but now I want to train him the right way to go outside and my house stinks of dog pee. I have used the vinegar and water in the carpet cleaner and that didnt work. My landlord put really cheap carpet in my place, but I really can't afford to replace it. I have too large of carpeting to use the blacklight and the towels. So can any body help me out on a solution to use in carpet cleaning machines? Help please.

By Melody S from Milwaukee, WI

I love this recipe: just be sure to test an area first, preferably where it won't be seen.

First soak up any pee that you can with rags or paper towels.

Then use this recipe.

2 cups hydrogen peroxide

2 drops (not squirts) liquid dish soap

2 teaspoons baking soda.

Mix thoroughly and pour onto carpet. Remember, pee sprays! So make sure you cover not just the spot, but the surrounding area. I doubled the area each time I used it. Let it sit for 24 hours. Do not soak it up with paper towels or rags: it needs to be left alone. Do not cover the area, let it air dry.

I have doubled and tripled this recipe and used it on carpets, walls, furniture and once a brand new bed! The formula needs to reach all the pee, so with the bed I had to triple the recipe because the pee had sunk deep into the mattress.

Do not store any leftover mixture; get rid of it. It apparently cannot be covered or bottled up because it works just like those volcano/lava experiments kids do at school! Make sure you test product first on an inconspicuous area. I love this recipe and it has not failed me. I have had people tell me it didn't work but then when they made sure they covered a larger area then they thought they needed, or doubled the recipe it always worked for them.

Good luck! I have had many puppies and one cat (peed on the bed when frightened) and this has saved many items in my home.