Removing Permanent Marker From Photos

My mother wrote on the back of several portraits with a permanent marker and then stacked them on top of the other before the ink was dry. Hence, there is now smudges of the ink on the front of several of the pictures. I tried using a damp cotton swab to gently lift what I could, some "lightened" but didn't remove the ink completely. Does anyone have any advice as to how to remove the ink without damaging the photos?

Robbie from Knoxville,TN

Removing Permanent Marker From Photos

Melaleuca Company has a product called sol-u-mel. It is all natural and you can apply it directly to the photo with no harm. It also has many other uses as well. Check out the website (10/26/2007)

By Jill.

Removing Permanent Marker From Photos

Thank you so much for the tip. I haven't tried it yet, but know about Sol-u-mel. I accidentally got permanent marker on some photos of my sons and I that were taken just before my oldest shipped off to basic training, and have tried everything I can think of to remove it to no avail. I'm praying this works! (11/14/2008)

By Brenda

Removing Permanent Marker From Photos
Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic