Removing Permanent Marker (Sharpie) from a Couch

Category Furniture
Accident or budding artist, either way permanent marker on your couch may require a series of attempts to remove it. This is a guide about removing permanent marker (Sharpie) from a couch.

My daughter used a Sharpie marker on my couch. Any ideas on how to remove this?

By Jaime from Plain City, OH

Answer Was this helpful? 4
Best Answer

I would put hairspray on the mark then put salt on it then rub it in circular motions.

Best Answer

I have used lighter fluid to remove magic marker when my kids were little. Just make sure you do a color fastness test on the back where nobody will see it.

Best Answer

I have used WD40. Make sure you test a spot to make sure it won't affect your couch color.

Best Answer

I just successfully removed deep blue Sharpie marker from our brand new couch fabric by pouring rubbing alcohol on Bounty paper towels & blotting (not rubbing) the stain. I also used a little aerosol hairspray directly on the stain. Unbelievable results - so thankful to this site for the ideas!

Best Answer

I just have to say thank you to all that posted on this thread. My kids took a sharpie to my suede/microfiber couch today, while I was putting away Christmas decorations. The rubbing alcohol worked wonders, and I tried rubbing salt along with it, and it came right out and saved my new couch. Thanks again! Missa

Best Answer

Alcohol suggestion worked perfectly. I had dark purple sharpie on my gold colored ottoman and it came right out! Thank you for the suggestion 

Try a product called "Simple Green". I believe you find it in the automotive section of Walmart, Sam's Club, etc. I knows it's removed Sharpie marker from hard surfaces for me, just don't know about material. You might look on the back of the label for uses or call the manufacturer. Good luck! Susan

Anonymous

Hot water and dawn plus gain got my marker marks out of my light colored couch

Use nail polish remover

Anonymous

Nail polish just tears up furniture.

I was just doing my homework and outlining a project with a permanent black Sharpie. I accidentally made 5 errors on the paper, and I moved my hand when the marker made a line on the arm of a couch. After that I made a second line and now I'm busted. The couch is made of some kind of fabric and I cannot purchase any cleaning supplies because I would get caught and in trouble. Any solutions? Will dishwasher soap help?

From Good Housekeeping:

Using a clean white cloth, sponge the stain with the detergent/vinegar solution, blotting frequently with a dry cloth until the stain disappears. 5. If the stain remains, sponge the stain with rubbing alcohol. Blot to remove the stain.

I tried just about everything mentioned here. Nothing worked. Did my old trick. Cute tip dipped in chlorax dab on mark pour water on it right away as to not make a hole. It's chancy but worked for me.

Over the past couple of months, I've been working with my brother and sister-in-law to design their home and it has been so fun. It's really coming together. Only a few accent pieces to go. The major items we added were a new sofa and area rug.

Last Tuesday, about a week after the sofa was delivered, I got a call from Erin and her voice was shaking. Apparently, her darling 2 year old (really, he's darling) had just written all over the couch with Sharpies. (Why were there Sharpies hanging around, you ask? Erin, like all mothers, is diligent about hiding the Sharpies. This was a total freak accident and not even worth explaining.)

I immediately called everyone I knew with microsuede furniture and had them call Erin with cleaning instructions and the instructions were universal: just scrub it. Just scrub and scrub and scrub and it will come out.

Amazingly, it worked. There is no sign of the Sharpie. I was there and participated in the scrubbing and am a witness that micro suede is the ultimate "family" fabric. I am way impressed.

On a related note: I know it all worked out, but I'm still wondering, what kind of world is this, when a new couch can't remain Sharpie-less for even a whole week?

By John from Pittsburgh

Answers:

Removing Sharpie from a Couch

Hide all the Sharpies. Only give her erasable markers. PS. The Magic Eraser also works on fabric. (05/12/2009)

By kimmcg

My son got permanent, Sharpie marker on my friend's couch. It is a light green cloth material. We put hairspray on it and it seemed to dull it but did not take it away. Do you know anything that will take it off? Help. Thanks in advance.

Jill

Answers:

Removing Sharpie From Couch

Hi missp,

Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional advice.

With that said, I think your best bet is to go with what the Sharpie site recommends - AMODEX STAIN REMOVER. In addition, I've provided information from Message Boards in regards to removing permanent ink stains from leather/vinyl fabric. I do wish you good luck!

http://www.sharpie.com/sanford/consumer/sharpie/hom...

"How do I remove a permanent marker stain?"

The successful stain removal of ink stains differs from case to case because of the many types of fabrics, colors, inks and time elapsed before stain removal. We cannot guarantee stain removal since many variables can be involved. Testing first is always recommended as well as following both the stain remover and clothing manufacturer's instructions. Following these steps should result in partial or complete removal.

General Rules:

1. Treat stains as soon as possible. Fresh stains can be removed more easily than old ones.

2. Check manufacturer's labels as to fabric content and any special instructions

3. Always test stain removal solution first on a hidden part of the article or on swatch of fabric taken from seam allowance to insure no color loss or damage will occur.

4. Where possible, lay stained article face down on paper towels or clean white cloth and apply stain removal solution to underside of stain so that stain can be removed from the surface instead of pushing it through the fabric. Replace towels or cloth as they absorb stain to prevent stain transfer.

5. If enlisting the aid of a professional laundry or dry cleaner, be sure to indicate what the stain is and the type of fabric.

6. Do not iron stained garments or put in dryer as this may set stain.

Also try AMODEX STAIN REMOVER for permanent ink: Amodex Products, P.O. Box 3332, Bridgeport, CT 06605, Phone:(203) 335-1255

Contact Sharpie http://www.sharpie.com/sanford/consumer/sharpie/home/contactus.jhtml

You can also call our Consumer Affairs staff at Sanford Corporation between the hours of 7:30 am 5 pm CST, Monday through Friday at 1-800-323-0749.

By Racing against thimerosol

Removing Sharpie From Couch

My son did this too. I think I scrubbed with toothpaste right away. My husband used turpentine for the walls. I suppose if you tested some hidden area of the couch first, you could try the turpentine.

Good Luck! (10/31/2004)

By Lee-Ann

Removing Sharpie From Couch

You might try using nail polish remover. When my son was little, he drew on my white cupboards with black permanent magic marker. Nail polish remover was the only thing I could find to take all of it off! (10/31/2004)

By sjackie2000

Removing Sharpie From Couch

Thank you so much! I have received lots of helpful hints. My friend has not tried anything else yet though and now I am afraid that it may have set too long. I wish she was as worried as me. It is all over the front of her couch and on one of the throw pillows. I feel terrible. I have called every night to check on it since it happened and she and her husband keep saying, 'we haven't tried anything yet'. I am going to give her all of the suggestions tomorrow and then I am going to drop it. I told her to tell me if it was ruined and I would replace the couch. I guess I will leave it in her hands after this. Thanks again. Jill (11/03/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Removing Sharpie From Couch

I have always used a clean rag and hair spray. Keep spraying the hair spray on the spots and blot, let the rag absorb the ink, don't rub. Keep going back to the stains after the hair spray dries until all the stain is gone. (11/04/2004)

By Heather

Removing Sharpie From leather

Baby wipes work great on leather. Try to get to it fast but if it is dried it may take some elbow. I was able to remove 98% of red sharpie off yellow leather sofa. (12/19/2004)

By susan

Removing Sharpie stain on wood

My daughter was using a Sharpie marker and made a stain on my boyfriends great-grandfathers home-made hutch. How can I remove the stain from the wood? (02/08/2005)

By Dawn

Removing Sharpie From Couch

Hi Dawn, for wood, I'd run out and get a Magic Eraser and try that first. If that doesn't work, then try rubbing alcohol.

By Susan from ThriftyFun (02/08/2005)

Removing Sharpie From Couch

First, know what to use before it happens, and have it on hand! Time is of Essence! I used Aerosol hairspray, pump hair spray did not work as well, and it seemed to work, also rubbing alcohol, magic eraser did nothing, Amodex is not at stores, so order it for the on hand part, and I had a red sharpie on an antique pine dresser--sort of came out, but, again, wish I had everything on hand. Yes nail polish remover helped, but harsh on wood. Carbona Ink and stain for fabric did not work, just a desperate try on my part. At least most of it is on my two year old, and nail polish remover does take it off skin, that and bath.(11/08/2005)

Removing Sharpie from piano keys!

My two year old just took a black Sharpie to all but one key on the piano! I immediately scrubbed at it with Windex and then with Sebastian Strong Hold hair spray. I am AMAZED and THRILLED to say that there is no trace of the ink and the piano keys are still intact! Thanks for the hair spray tip from this board! (03/22/2006)

Removing Sharpie From Couch

Well, I had a two year old write on my cream colored leather sofa with an ink pen. After reading the commends on Sharpie removal, I tried Dr. Tichenor's mouthwash because of the suggestion about the effectiveness of the alcohol and I couldn't find anything else around the house with that much alcohol in it. Well, it worked great. Thanks for your help. (12/05/2006)

By Chandra

Removing Sharpie stain on wood

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and a little elbow grease worked wonderfully on the sharpie marker on my dining room table (12/31/2006)

By JoJo

Removing Sharpie From Couch

I tried rubbing alcohol and it works. Thanks (02/21/2007)

By Annie

Removing Sharpie From Couch

Aerosol hairspray got blue Sharpie out of a very expensive wool rug. I tried Magic Eraser, hair spray, and baby wipes on a vinyl chair and it faded it but did not remove all of the marks. Any tips on a 2 year old that says he wrote on the chair because it was too hard to draw on the rug? (03/01/2007)

By Kim, mom of 2 year old

Removing Sharpie From Couch

Don't use the magic eraser on every leather couch to get off Sharpie marks. It erased the brown color in my couch. I paid $1,800.00 for that couch. I thought it was ruined but brown shoe polish help put the color right back and it looked great! FYI!

I also used 100% acetone nail polish remover on the glass door and it worked out great! Just don't use it on anything with paint or wood stain. It will ruin it! (05/04/2007)

By M.Townsend

Removing Sharpie From Computer Monitor

My two year old decided that it would be fun to color with black sharpie all over my computer monitor. After trying a few things that didn't work, Regular nail polish remover with a cotton ball and then a little hair spray did the job! No traces of sharpie anymore. (05/21/2007)

By Maureen

Removing Sharpie From Couch

WD-40 just worked on our piano keys. (11/15/2007)

By Daddy of twins

Removing Sharpie From Couch

I used spot shot, and it pulled purple sharpie marks right off my brown couch as it dried. I let it sit for awhile, and when I went to check on it, it had dried, and lifted the stain out! I am trying it on a white couch today. My 18 month old made huge black sharpie zebra stripes on my white couch. I tried the aerosol hairspray, which lightened it, and made it run a little. We'll see. (02/03/2008)

By jess

Removing Sharpie From Couch

Well I recently accidentally put sharpie marks all over my wall and I used Clorox and the stains came off. DON'T DO THIS ON ANY CLOTH MATERIALS UNLESS THEY'RE WHITE. (06/26/2008)

By JMiguel

Removing Sharpie From Couch

I just used white board cleaner. After it sat for 5 minutes, the sharpie came right off. I hope this helps someone :) (10/28/2008)

By mpg first base

Removing Sharpie From WOOD

Here's what worked for me when my daughter got sharpie ALL OVER real wood table and floor: floor was more highly polished, so EXPO dry erase fluid took it right off.

Table was finished but porous. Sharpie had gotten into the grain. Initially I was discouraged because it did not seem like the EXPO was working at all. One coat of the fluid let sit a few seconds, wiped off, then followed by DW40 in the pen (it is a felt tip pen filled with DW40) worked great. I really had to work the oil into the wood. I did this because I knew that I could get it refinished very easily - my dad is in the business - but there is no need. It did not remove the finish.

I made sure I did not leave the EXPO on too long and when I wiped it off, I did so in long even strokes. I followed with a rubbing of the whole surface with olive oil. I am going to move those $and^#$$$ sharpies into a locked cabinet! (11/17/2008)

By Andrea

Removing Sharpie From Wood Floor and Plasma TV

Toothpaste took the black sharpie right off the plasma tv screen and the metal parts of the the tv also. I used a pencil eraser on the wood floor. That also worked pretty well. I'm going to follow up on the wood with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser when I pick more up from the store. (11/20/2008)

By Carrie R.

Removing Sharpie From Couch

I used a professional company to clean my microfiber couch and tried http://www.folexcompany.com/ on the red sharpie stain I had, as well as red wine. IT WORKED AMAZING and you can get it at home depot.

Good luck! (11/25/2008)

By SUCCESS!