Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture

How do I get permanent marker off wood?

Michael from Auckland, NZ

Off Bug Spray

I had blue sharpie marker on the white textured surface of my fridge. The magic eraser faded it, the rubbing alcohol faded it more, and using a white gum eraser didn't do much. Thought for sure it was there to stay.

I am amazed! The Off Bug spray took it right "OFF!" I sprayed it and let it soak for a few seconds before simply wiping it off with the magic eraser. Thanks for the brilliant idea. (09/07/2006)

By Flo Mama

I can't believe it but Off took black Sharphie marker off our newly refinished hardwood floors. Rubbing alchol didn't work at all but Off worked easily and quickly. I wouldn't leave it on too long - looked like it was going to eat the finish. (09/11/2006)

By Kelly

Glad I found this site, my wife and I had just bought a white night stand and "I" laid a home made CD face down on it and the words that were wrote in sharpie marker on the CD rubbed off onto the wood. I took the magic erase and nothing else, it rubbed off fairly easily with no signs of stains or anything!! (09/14/2006)

By Preston Bell

70% Isopropyl Alcohol works THE BEST. I can not believe it, but it amazingly worked on a painted wooden window where markings were done with black ink permanent marker (09/15/2006)

By Telesync

I really didn't expect the off to work. I live in a house that has twin 3 1/2 year olds and a 1 1/2 year old. They seem to get into everything! When I found my good wood furniture colored all over I was very upset but I found this site which suggested trying off! There is not a single mark left on my stuff. Thanks so much! (09/25/2006)

By L B

A colorful wooden dresser.
Cup Stain on Wood
Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic