Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

How do I get rid of old urine dog smell from broadloom carpet?

By the riv from Toronto, Canada

Answers:

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

I recently moved into a house that was completely carpeted (ugh). The previous people had small dogs and a male cat they apparently let potty all over the place. There were leg-lift marks against the woodwork in almost every room. Horrible odor! They'd paid a professional company to steam clean and do an enzyme treatment, but it was a poor job if anything.

I had used everything, including vinegar, prior and let me tell you, I would be nauseous from the smell and just couldn't handle any more perfumey things like carpet fresheners, air fresheners, scented candles, and so on.

I rented a Rug Doctor from the local Big Lots, bought a large gallon of OdoBan, a large container of bleach and a container of carpet shampoo with an oxygen booster.

I filled the 3-gallon tank with water as hot as the tap allowed (which was pretty hot), a quarter cup of bleach, a third cup of OdoBan and just a couple of tablespoons' worth of the carpet shampoo. You could use dish detergent, too.

This worked like a charm! There was too little bleach to lighten the carpet (even though it was the "standard" beige in most places), and too little to also react with the ammonia in the urine. The soap in the carpet shampoo or dish detergent also helps with the latter. Also, OdoBan kills viruses and bacteria as well as odors, and it's an amazing product.

It's been almost a month now, and though it' steadily hotter here in aouth Florida, even the humidity and heat haven't brought out a whiff of the odor. Give it a try, and good luck.
(05/07/2010)

By MelissaLee

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

I foster rescue dogs and recently had two unaltered males who hiked their leg every chance they got. They also left huge urine soiled areas on the carpet, which caused our 3 year old male Boxer to follow suit.

I simply poured straight solution of white vinegar onto the soiled areas, saturating the carpet enough to go through to the padding. I allowed it to dry. Then cleaned the carpet with a mixture of a carpet cleaner with enzymes and poured in some baking soda and a very small amount of bleach and the smell is completely gone! I was pleasantly surprised after reading the comments on here.

It seems vinegar works well for some people, not so well for others. The odor was gone right after the vinegar had dried, but to be sure I still wanted to use baking soda and a little bleach with the cleaner because I was so tired of that smell. The key may be to use full strength and literally soak the pee spots on the carpet. The stains are also gone. (05/23/2010)

By Deedee

A chihuahua on a white carpet.
Cleaning Dog Urine Odors from Carpet
big cat in a car
Removing Cat Urine Smell From Car Interior
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Dog laying on beige carpet next to a vacuum
Cleaning Urine Odors from Carpet
🎉
🎄