Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

Does anyone have a suggestion for removing urine odor from my home? I had a male dog that could not stop urinating inside (gone now) and an elderly father who lives with us, that has an incontinence problem. I clean and clean, but the odor comes right back. I know the carpet has to go, but until I can afford to replace the carpet, is there any relief from the odor?

By Aunt B from Louisville

Answers:

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

What are you using to clean? When one of my cats has an accident on my carpet, I use an enzymatic cleaner. I got mine at Petsmart, but I've heard that enzymatic cleaners can easily be found at other stores like Walmart and Target. It helps break down the odors/residue, so the animals don't keep coming back to the same spot.

I also had to use it on my couch once -- when one of our cats was a weak little kitten, he had a pee accident. I saturated the area with the enzymatic cleaner and used my carpet cleaner to pull up as much moisture as possible, and repeated a few times. I gave one more spritz of cleaner to the surface, and let it air dry. My cats checked out the area while it was still wet, but once it was completely dry, they acted like nothing was there!

If your stains are very old or extensive, you might might need several applications, but I believe it will help at least reduce the smell. Best of luck! (09/05/2010)

By mrs.story

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

Get a product that is called XO; it's available from QVC.com; works fantastic and they use it in nursing homes! Will take care of both human and animal odors and all others as well! (09/05/2010)

By MzScarlett

A chihuahua on a white carpet.
Cleaning Dog Urine Odors from Carpet
big cat in a car
Removing Cat Urine Smell From Car Interior
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Dog laying on beige carpet next to a vacuum
Cleaning Urine Odors from Carpet
🎄