Removing Pet Urine Smell

My small dog keeps peeing on my couch, clothes, anywhere possible. The problem I have is I'd like to get rid of the smell and deter my dog from peeing inside. Can anyone help please.

By Tabatha

Best Answer

Often animals pee on your clothes in an effort to blend their smell with yours. This behavior can come from anxiety. Make sure you spend enough time with your pet so he feels confident in your relationship.

Might be a good idea to have him checked for a bladder infection too. Natures Miracle enzyme product can get rid of urine smells. If it is something you can wash, put 1/3 cup Borax (Borateem) in your wash.

Best Answer

You need an enzymatic cleaner. Pet stores sell enzymatic carpet and upholstery cleaners just for this purpose. Use a small black light to be sure it's clean. They sell these as well. In the laundry, use an enzymatic cleaner such as OxyClean.

I found out just by accident that squirting a little coconut shampoo into the wash with the urine soiled items got rid of the odor better than anything else I had ever tried. Coconut does have deodorizing properties. I don't know if it will make the odor undetectable to your dog, but things will smell much better. It's worth a try.

The dog needs to constantly go outside. And right before you go to bed put him out. Is it a puppy?

Have the pet neutered.And whenever it pees inside put it in its crate and tell your pet that's a bad dog As soon as you take him out of crate take outside.Also take pet out ever hour if the pet is a puppy only make food and water available when you are able to take out after about 30 minutes. Get you pet used to a routine.

I'm a certified trainer, and you NEVER use the crate as a punishment. Never.

Anonymous

Absolutely do not do this!!! The kennel is supposed to be a safe place. If a dog pees inside you have to catch them in the act. Tell them no and run them outside immediately and wait until they go again and then let them know how great they just did by peeing outside. Making them terrified of their kennel is the worst thing you can do!