Removing Rubber Carpet Back From Cement Floor

I need help. I want to change the flooring in my basement, but when I pulled the carpet up, I discovered that the previous owners laid rubber back carpet on the cement. It has left the rubber on the floor in huge patches that I have, as yet, been unable to remove. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to remove rubber backing from a cement floor? Thanks in advance for any help.

Mel from NS, Canada

Answers:

We remodel a lot of homes. The only way I have had luck is by scraping. I bought a 4 inch razor blade scraper at the lumber yard and it worked great. It had long handle on it, also. They aren't too expensive. (09/14/2007)

By Ledda

Maybe there is adhesive under that rubber. Goo Gone makes a spray that you can put on adhesive to remove. Then all you will need to do is scrape it off. Check your local home improvement stores. Will make the job a lot easier. If you think it is just stuck, then I think I would try vinegar and water to soak a bit and then scrape with a putty knife. (09/15/2007)

I had the same thing happen to me, I used water. You can't hurt the concrete floor with water, so just pour the water onto the sponge and let it soak up, leave it on for 15 minutes. You can work in patches going back and forth. You still have to scrape, but it is much easier. If you can find a long handled scraper, the kind they use to remove tile, it will save on your back. (09/16/2007)

By PICO

I recently borrowed a little portable steamer from a friend to remove masking tape on wood floors. The tape had been along the floor moldings I painted years ago. It lifted the tape up great and then I scraped with a putty knife. I used Goo-Gone for the sticky residue. This may be your answer if the foam is rather thick and hard to remove. (09/16/2007)

By frugalelf

Water worked a treat, following the initial scrape, water softened the residue and we were able to virtually brush it off with a broom. Thanks for the tip PICO. (02/14/2009)

By VickiH

Stains on Cement
Removing Stains on Cement
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
A crafter using rubber stamps to decorate a handmade card.
Cleaning Rubber Stamps
Pile of Colorful Rubberbands
Using Rubber Bands to Make Stamps
🎄