Removing Rust Stains on a Wedding Dress

Rust on a wedding dress can be difficult to remove because of the fabrics used. This is a guide about removing rust stains on a wedding dress.

When I was unpacking from our last move (we're military) I found that the packing company had thrown my wedding dress in a box with metal hangers that got wet and have left stains all over my wedding dress. How do I get rust stains out of white polyester fabric?

Suzanne from Fort Dix, NJ

I sell vintage clothing & I can attest that this works on rust spots--- lemon juice--basically any kind, fresh, bottled, etc. and SUNSHINE! Dab the spots w/ lemon--set out in sunlight. Check after a few hours. Sometimes requires repeated application, but ALWAYS works!

Heres' the hard part.....Afterwards, you will need to rinse the dried lemon out because if stored, it will turn yellowish & leave a bigger area affected. If you can't rinse, you should take to a professional cleaner & do alert them that it has lemon on it in case there's some weird cross-action with their cleaning fluids.

I use hand sanitizer to remove stains. It should take the rust out of the fabric. Good luck.~Janette~

There is a product, Brand name Whink, Rust Stain Remover. It is located along side other cleaning supplies in Wal-Mart, and I am sure in other stores as well. I know it works great on nylon and as polyester is also a man-made fiber it should work on it as well, test on a seam or in the hemline to be sure.

Anonymous

meat tenderizer ... Make paste and rub spot. Results in instant!

I did my bridal pictures at a park and I sat on the swings and the chains left some rust on the side of my gown. How can I clean them off?

By Macey M. from Houston, TX