Removing Rust Stains on a Wedding Dress

Rust on a wedding dress can be difficult to remove because of the fabrics used. This is a guide about removing rust stains on a wedding dress.

January 21, 2009 Flag

When I was unpacking from our last move (we're military) I found that the packing company had thrown my wedding dress in a box with metal hangers that got wet and have left stains all over my wedding dress. How do I get rust stains out of white polyester fabric?

Suzanne from Fort Dix, NJ

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I sell vintage clothing & I can attest that this works on rust spots--- lemon juice--basically any kind, fresh, bottled, etc. and SUNSHINE! Dab the spots w/ lemon--set out in sunlight. Check after a few hours. Sometimes requires repeated application, but ALWAYS works!

Heres' the hard part.....Afterwards, you will need to rinse the dried lemon out because if stored, it will turn yellowish & leave a bigger area affected. If you can't rinse, you should take to a professional cleaner & do alert them that it has lemon on it in case there's some weird cross-action with their cleaning fluids.

I use hand sanitizer to remove stains. It should take the rust out of the fabric. Good luck.~Janette~

There is a product, Brand name Whink, Rust Stain Remover. It is located along side other cleaning supplies in Wal-Mart, and I am sure in other stores as well. I know it works great on nylon and as polyester is also a man-made fiber it should work on it as well, test on a seam or in the hemline to be sure.

meat tenderizer ... Make paste and rub spot. Results in instant!

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJanuary 26, 2013
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal