Removing Rust from an Iron Skillet

My neighbor gave me a stack of cast iron cookware. They had been outdoors and were covered in rust. I knew I could get the rust off with white vinegar and baking soda. It works nicely.

Use enough baking soda to make a paste with the white vinegar and apply it to the rusty area. Leave until dry then apply a bit more white vinegar and use some elbow grease to get every bit of rust off. The cookware looked like new!

It does take some effort, but well worth the results. After cleaning the rust off, apply vegetable oil to wipe off the remainder of the rust and use some table salt to polish up the cast iron.

Source: My grandparents had told me how to clean cast iron more than thirty years ago.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Removing Rust from an Iron Skillet
Steam Iron
Removing Rust from Steam Iron
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal