Removing Scratches From Wood Table

I put a flower pot on my sister's new dining room table while I was arranging flowers and have scratched her table as I was turning the pot while adjusting the flowers. There are many scratches, but not deep ones. Is there a way to fix this short of buying her a new dining room set? The table is dark wood, but there is no polished shine.

Theresa from Newfoundland

Answers:

Removing Scratches From Wood Table

If you can find a product called "Old English Furniture Polish and Scratch Cover". It is a tinted furniture polish. If that is unavailable, you may be able to sharpen a child's wax crayon that matches the wood and lightly apply to the scratches and then wipe away excess. (08/20/2008)

By Suze

Removing Scratches From Wood Table

I have used this before on dark wood. Take a pecan and rub on the scratches. Hope this helps! (08/21/2008)

By Norma

Removing Scratches From Wood Table

They sell special brown crayons to fill in tiny scratches, and they will truly be forever invisible. Any fine furniture store will know where you can get them, or just search "furniture scratch crayons". (08/21/2008)

By kimhis

Removing Scratches From Wood Table

I've used crayons before and found they are only good for a very superficial scratch. I had deeper scratches and nicks in a beautiful wood cabinet. I used a marker pen in the wood color. It looked and went on exactly like a magic marker. What worked great for me is that I filled in the scratch or nick with the marker not being careful at all with going outside the lines, filling it in well all over. Then I took a steel wool pad, but not the regular ones, the one which has little squiggly pieces and doesn't scratch at all. I put some olive oil on it and rubbed over the marker. That took the marker off any flat spot and left the marker only in the scratch or nick itself. The cabinet looks like new now! (11/21/2009)

By shirschhorn