Removing Set-In Yellow Stains on Collars

How can I remove set-in yellow stains on collars of white shirts? They have been washed and dried many times but are still in good condition.

Betty from FL

Answers:

Soak the white shirts in a mixture of water and some bleach for several hours or over night if needed. Make sure that you don't use a lot of bleach, because the bleach could rot the fabric. Or what you could is pour some bleach directly on the collar and rub lightly and then immediately rinse shirts well to remove bleach, then launder. (11/13/2007)

By MCW

You could also try putting lemon juice on the collars and placing them in a sunny window so they can get direct sunlight then wash as normal. The lemon juice will act as a natural bleach without harming the fabric. (11/13/2007)

By Tracey

Oxiclean! Works really good for set in stains soak it in a bucket with some overnight and wash they will be gone! (11/13/2007)

By Nicole

You could soak the garment in Cascade dishwasher soap. I have heard to mix some in a bucket with water, put in the clothes and let it soak overnight. Then just dump the whole thing in the washer to wash. I haven't done it, but on one web site there has been several people mention that they do this and it works. (11/14/2007)

By suzin

I have had good luck lately with Spray and Wash on my husband's old cotton undershirts that he refuses to part with.

However, I use it on the yellow underarms of the t shirt, since he doesn't have yellow marks on the collar. (12/06/2007)

By metroplex