Removing Sharpie from a Couch

Over the past couple of months, I've been working with my brother and sister-in-law to design their home and it has been so fun. It's really coming together. Only a few accent pieces to go. The major items we added were a new sofa and area rug.

Last Tuesday, about a week after the sofa was delivered, I got a call from Erin and her voice was shaking. Apparently, her darling 2 year old (really, he's darling) had just written all over the couch with Sharpies. (Why were there Sharpies hanging around, you ask? Erin, like all mothers, is diligent about hiding the Sharpies. This was a total freak accident and not even worth explaining.)

I immediately called everyone I knew with microsuede furniture and had them call Erin with cleaning instructions and the instructions were universal: just scrub it. Just scrub and scrub and scrub and it will come out.

Amazingly, it worked. There is no sign of the Sharpie. I was there and participated in the scrubbing and am a witness that micro suede is the ultimate "family" fabric. I am way impressed.

On a related note: I know it all worked out, but I'm still wondering, what kind of world is this, when a new couch can't remain Sharpie-less for even a whole week?

By John from Pittsburgh

Answers:

Removing Sharpie from a Couch

Hide all the Sharpies. Only give her erasable markers. PS. The Magic Eraser also works on fabric. (05/12/2009)

By kimmcg

The word "Forever" written in permanent marker on wood
Removing Permanent Marker (Sharpie) from a Couch
Sharpie Marker on Leather Couch
Cleaning Permanent (Sharpie) Marker from Leather Furniture
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
🎉
🎄