Removing Shells From Hard Boiled Eggs

My request is: does anyone have an easy way to peel hard boiled eggs. I want to use them for egg salad, as an example. I recently got a couple dozen eggs for egg salad. I cooked them, but they were very hard to peel. This was even after being in placed the cold water and then in cold water again.

Unfortunately my son found some egg shells in the egg salad. He was not happy. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

By redrose51 from Canandaigua, NY

Removing Shells From Hard Boiled Eggs

Use older eggs, not fresh ones right from the store. Also put a tablespoon of vinegar in the water when you boil them. Once they are done, take the pan to the sink and run them under cold water to cool them quickly.

Once they are cooled take an egg and gently hit it down on a flat surface on it's side. Then roll it putting gentle pressure with your hand until all sides are crackled. Pinch a section of the broken shell and it should all peel off very easily. The more cracks the easier it is. (06/16/2009)

By SusLuvsVintage

Removing Shells From Hard Boiled Eggs

I always put some vegetable oil in the water when I'm boiling them and they peel off super easy every time. (06/17/2009)

By JacobsMamaKat

Removing Shells From Hard Boiled Eggs

Try a couple of teaspoons of vinegar in the water you boil the eggs in. (06/17/2009)

By Curvedbar

Removing Shells From Hard Boiled Eggs

I agree "not" fresh eggs. When eggs are done drain off water-shake the pan all around till eggs have lots of cracks in them-peel under cold water. Works for me. (06/17/2009)

By joanie47

Removing Shells From Hard Boiled Eggs

Not fresh eggs, rinse immediately in cold water, cover eggs with cold water again and cover with ice cubes, let set for 15 minutes. Always put salt in pan before cooking.

Ginger (06/17/2009)

By rosina

Removing Shells From Hard Boiled Eggs

One additional hint: before cooking eggs, pierce broader end with a very clean needle or some such. Don't go deeper than not quite 1/4 inch, and if it is hard to pierce the shell, press needle tightly to desired spot and then rotate while applying pressure and it will gradually go deep enough.

Prepare pierced eggs as others have advised including thorough cooling immediately. The small hole allows small amount liquid to lubricate inside of shell, but does not change texture or taste of eggs. You may have to remove that skin that sometimes forms, but the shells slide right off after you crack shells all over.

In line with this hint, I find it convenient to keep a certain needle cleaned and ready to use by poking it through a paper napkin or some such and tucking it in a small plastic bag which I then place inside of egg carton, there is more than enough room for it. (06/17/2009)

By moonylisa

Removing Shells From Hard Boiled Eggs

The suggestions on using older eggs are correct. The reason for that is that the egg will, ever so slightly, dry and shrink within the shell (not badly, mind you). This way, the shell will not cling so to the egg. I do this all the time. I will keep eggs in my fridge for even a couple weeks after the "sell by" date. Sometimes, you can even get eggs at a marked down price if the sell by date is approaching and the store needs to get them rotated out. Then, you will have beautifully peeled eggs and a bargain to boot.

The cooking process I use is to bring eggs to a boil, turn heat off and cover pot. Let sit on stove unit for 1 hour. Drain water. Put lid on the pot and shake eggs to crack. Pour cold water and let the eggs sit for a few minutes. My eggs peel perfectly every time, only because of the older egg part.

I wish you success on your next batch. (06/17/2009)

By tnsink

Removing Shells From Hard Boiled Eggs

I put 3 or 4 eggs and salt in the water, bring it to a boil, and let cook for approximately 11 minutes. Then I get a container ready with ice and very cold water and put it in the sink. When done, the eggs are put into the cold ice water and I put a small ice pack on top and let sit until cold.

Sometimes after they've cooled off I dry them off and put them in the fridge. When I'm ready to make the egg salad I roll them on the counter to crack the shell all over and then peel, starting with the larger end.

Maybe your son could try making his own egg salad and see how well he does. (06/19/2009)

By Maryeileen

Two brown eggs, one peeled part way, on white background.
Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs
Hardboiled Eggs
Cooking Hard Boiled Eggs
Sandwich With Soft Boiled Eggs
Recipes Using Boiled Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg