Removing Shells From Hard Boiled Eggs

I boiled eggs yesterday and placed them in cold water, then drained them, and placed them in refrigerator. As usual, I rolled them on the counter cracking the sides to peel. It took forever to peel each egg. It didn't slip off. The egg had chips all over it from trying to remove the shell. What did I do wrong? How do I peel the rest of them without pitting the outside of the egg?

By Shirley from KY

Answers:

Removing Shells From Hard Boiled Eggs

If your eggs are very fresh, it will be hard to peel. If I am planning on making egg salad or deviled eggs, I buy eggs and let them sit in my fridge at least a week. (07/17/2010)

By Ginnywest

Removing Shells From Hard Boiled Eggs

After 50 years of cooking for my husband and my family, I learned how to boil eggs so the shells will come off easily. Learned this from my daughter-in-law. She makes beautiful delicious deviled eggs.

Cover eggs with water. Add a little salt to water. Do not put a cover on the pot. Bring water to a boil, cut heat down to medium and cook for 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour off water and add cold water and let eggs cool some. Peel under water while still a little warm.

I have put boiled eggs in the refrigerator and peeled them later and they were still easy to peel. I don't know if it's how they are cooked or peeling them under water that makes the shells come off easily. (07/20/2010)

By Hate Litter

Removing Shells From Hard Boiled Eggs

The older the eggs the easier they are to peel. I usually have an extra carton on hand that I wait to boil at or soon after the sell by date. (07/20/2010)

By Deeli

Removing Shells From Hard Boiled Eggs

I read this somewhere a few years ago and it really works. After boiling eggs, drain them and let them cool enough to handle. Put several back in the pot at a time and shake the pot back and forth vigorously. The shells will crack and then begin to come off on their own. At this point you can easily remove the shells. (07/20/2010)

By Bebe52

Removing Shells From Hard Boiled Eggs

I leave the eggs in cool water. Then after 20 minutes or so, I crack the eggs while still in the cool water and the shells peel right off. (07/20/2010)

By dimemist

Two brown eggs, one peeled part way, on white background.
Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs
Hard Boiled Eggs
Hard Boiled Eggs Tips and Tricks
Sandwich With Soft Boiled Eggs
Recipes Using Boiled Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
🎉
🎄