Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet

Category Carpet
shoe polish
Shoe polish can be a challenging stain to remove from carpet. This is a guide about removing shoe polish from carpet.

To get black shoe polish out of beige carpet, use Goof Off but saturate the cloth and dab on affected area. It works!

Source: I read the back of the Goof Off can and followed directions.

By Terry from Rockwood, MI

My daughter is in Sea Cadets and even after telling her umpteen times not to polish her boots in the living room, she did. Now, I have a huge black shoe polish stain on my carpet. I hadn't noticed it until today and am not sure how long it has been there. Any ideas on how to get it out? The carpet is new and I'd really hate to have to have it replaced.

Thanks for your ideas.
Darlene in Mississauga

You should try Goo Gone, which won't hurt the carpeting. I used this when I had three very noticeable lipstick stains on bedroom carpeting. I followed the directions on the bottle and kept blotting and blotting until all traces of the lipstick were gone. In addition, I changed the blotting cloth several times so I wouldn't rub the removed lipstick back into the carpeting. I didn't think the Goo Gone would work, and I thought for sure the lipstick would permanently stain the carpet. However, the Goo Gone worked great, and there are no marks on the carpet from either the lipstick or the Goo Gone. Since shoe polish is kind of "greasy" like the lipstick, maybe it will work for you too. Good Luck!

Tori

Go to Walmart and get a can of SPOT SHOT Works everytime!

Take a can of butane cigarette-lighter gas, and discharge a "puddle" of the liquified gas directly onto the stain. This will freeze it, enabling you to spot-clean the polish off using some paper towel. Do not rub too hard, or you will damage the carpet!

This works for me, on a 100% wool carpet, it also alows the removal of chewing gum that has been trodden in...

Beware: Highly inflamable, so no smoking either at the time, or for 5 minutes after in the room!

I just got a puppy who felt that a bottle of black shoe polish was a great chew toy on new white carpeting. I checked out this web site and tried Spot Shot as suggested by Beth. Worked wonderfully. It saved the carpet!

I used Ethyl Chloride (liquid alcohol) Got the idea form the person with the cigarette butane idea! It worked a treat - so easy to remove... Thanks!

Tried spot shot on liquid black shoe polish scuff cover on carpet, did not work, any other suggestions?? HELP!

The butane gas works wonders on the boot polish on red carpet. Like the man said, no need to rub too hard with kitchen roll. Leave five mins and dab with dry towel and hoover, boot polish GONE!

Thanks for that.

How do you remove black shoe polish from your carpet?

By Patsy B.

I need to get shoe polish off my truck window and tires, the "Just Married" part. Thanks.

By Lorelei from Weatherford, TX

Any tips on how to remove black shoe polish from cream carpet?

By lynsey0209 from Perth, Scotland

Answers:

Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet

I had this problem once. I used Dawn (Because it absorbs oil) to shampoo it and a lot came out. If you need to do it again. You could also try club soda and salt. Saturate the place with club soda, and then use slat to suck it up into a cloth. (09/26/2009)

By damaged05170

Try a cloth dampened with turpentine or alcohol and rub the stained area.

Answers:

Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet

Worked great for me. Black shoe polish, beige plush carpet. Blotted with paper towels first with out smearing around, than used rubbing alcohol more paper towels and cotton balls. (12/13/2004)

Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet

My husband got black shoe polish all over our Biege carpet. He tried to remove it using Resolve Carpet cleaner, this made huge smear marks, and didn't resolve the problem I thought what do I have to lose, I'll try the alcohol. It worked. All the shoe polish came up, looks good as new. Thanks. (01/20/2005)

By Grace

Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet

Glad to find this. No alcohol in the house, but my Victoria's Secret Body Spray (alcohol was the first ingredient in the list) worked great. Now my living room smells like nice fresh pears, too. (06/08/2008)

By Wendy M

Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet

Take a Brown paper bag and put it over the shoe polish. Then take an iron and run it over the affected area. It will soak all the shoe polish into the bag. (08/14/2008)

By Kendall