Browsing: Removing Skunk Smell from House

Removing Skunk Smell From House

A skunk sprayed our neighbor's dog right outside our living room window. Now that entire side of the house smells of skunk still, now almost a week after the event. I smell it in the living room, bedroom, closets on that side of the house, etc. It seems to be in everything... linens, mattress, clothing, curtains, you name it. What can I do to rid of this awful smell once and for all? It's freezing and I've been leaving all the windows and doors open but it's not getting better. Thanks so much for any advice.

Arianne

Cider Vinegar

I tried the Cider Vinegar in bowls and set them around the house & it took the smell out of the house within 4 hours. For my dog, he went to the vet and they gave him a bath with SOS (Skunk odor Shampoo). You can also get Skunk Off from your local vet.

By Becky (Guest Post)

Recipe for Smell

My cat was sprayed by a skunk at 3:00 am. No vets were opened so I called the emergency animal hotline. They told me not to put the cat in the car (smell transfers) and it wouldn't matter anyway, because they don't treat skunk smells. They don't want the animal to infect their "emergency" establishment. Most vets if any do not treat skunk sprays due to the same reason.

So, they told me to use this recipe. 1/4 cup baking soda, 2 tbls. of Dawn dish soap and a qt. of hydrogen peroxide (very cheap). Since I first used tomato juice (yucky mess) and then shampooed him after that, he still smelled the same, awful. I tripled the recipe and put it in a small tupperware container, then placed my cat into it and slowly shampooed him. He hated it, especially the rinsing part. My son put the "recipe" into a spray bottle and slowly did it that way, he was much calmer.

This recipe worked in just one shampoo. He looks better today than before. His coat is shiny, smooth and he smells great! As for the house smelling, I use scented candles and jars of standing vinegar to absorb odor and put some on the furnace filter too. I can hardly smell it today and it just happened last night. The recipe worked after applying just once. Careful around the eyes, peroxide is for external use only.

By Ev

Homemade Skunk Smell Recipe

• use 1 u.s. court hydrogen peroxide
  • 1/4 cup baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon of dish soap

Mix lightly and apply to animal areas while foaming, leave on for 10 to 15 minutes rinse! And it really works

By John Whitmmore D.V.M. (Guest Post)

Removing Skunk Odors

You will need to break down or dissolve the oil in skunk scent.

Inside house:

1. wash affected wall, floor, etc. areas with water containing either chlorine bleach or vinegar (acetic acid) or

2. Use a commercial odor-removing compound such as:

1) "Skunk-off" aerosol; get through Vet Clinic, or catalog of dog supplies through dog kennel or pet shop.

2) "Nil-Odor" made by Dow Chemical; follow directions and put couple drops in water, and put on furnace filter to circulate air through; can put on dogs as directed.

3) "Odor-Away" either liquid (use few drops) or aerosol.

4) Rexall "C-D Deodorant" aerosol, can spray furnishings, drapes, etc.

These odor-removers act to break down the oil and so remove the odor or neutralize it.

3. Spraying with aerosol or putting drops around will neutralize odor in air generally; may still smell for awhile as you put nose right down in drapes, carpets, etc. but will gradually dissipate.

Outside house, on bare wood, concrete, soil:

Get chlorinated lime water at drug store, or mix 1 cup agricultural lime in 1 gallon chlorine bleach and put on areas. BE VERY CAREFUL TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS - don't get on skin, clothing, etc. as it will burn (is a caustic solution), and will also burn grass or other vegetation.

On clothes:

Launder in cool or barely lukewarm water with lots of heavy, built laundry detergent, plus a degreaser and some water conditioner (like Calgon) if water is hard. Don't use very warm or hot water as oil will be released in steam and odor will come up out of tub.

This article was written by Anne Field, Extension Specialist, Emeritus, with references from Mary Ellen Delsipee, and Isabel Jones, previous Extension specialists.

Source: MSU Extension

Skunk in the Grass
Removing Skunk Smell from House
A skunk getting ready to spray.
Removing Skunk Smell from a Car
Skunk On white Background
Removing Skunk Odor From Carpet
A plastic basket of laundry.
Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 3:10:08 PM on 10.0.1.179 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.