Removing Skunk Smell from House

How do you get rid of skunk smell from a house?

Jenny

Answers:

Removing Skunk Smell from House

Yeah, it seems that maybe two days ago a skunk sprayed around our house. I didn't really notice it until today when I went to school everyone said they smelt a skunk. I never felt so embarrassed in my life. My clothes, my books, my backpack, it all stunk. Every class room I went in someone said they smelt something bad, and I knew it was me. I wanted to just call my mom to pick me up.

When I got home this afternoon, the smell has just completely overwhelmed the house. We have a dog, but he wasn't sprayed. We are pretty sure that the skunk is under our porch because the smell is just incredibly strong from under there. The whole house smells and I can't stand it. I have so much work to do and I can't even concentrate. If the smell doesn't get any better by tomorrow I am certainly not going to school. Is there anyway I can quickly remove the odor so it does not stink up my clothes and belongings? Opening the windows is out of the question cause it's like 30 degrees outside and I don't feel like freezing to death right now. (12/17/2008)

By Nick

Removing Skunk Smell from House

Can definitely help you with the dog. Dump a bottle or 2 of peppermint extract into the dog's bathwater, it worked on my dog's leather collar too (careful though, leather & water aren't a great mix). You may want to try wiping your floors with water & peppermint extract if they're tile or lino, it should be okay on countertops too. (12/17/2008)

By Michele

Hydrogen Peroxide Question:

Has anyone experienced or know of this hydrogen peroxide/Dawn/baking soda dying/bleaching out or changing the fur color? Our dog Sandy, a golden retriever/chow mix has the golden/reddish/orangish colored, long soft, fur (see picture) and I really want to use this treatment, but we are worried it will dye her hair/fur. So will it? Does it?

Thanks for the laughs as I sat here after 2 hours of fighting this stench (it's midnight) with a masked face and nose. A bowl of vinegar at my side, coffee/cinnamon/ginger/almond/cloves in the oven, and vinegar with apples and cinnamon on the stove. It really helped! BTW, that is not the skunk in the picture, it's Sandy's chew toy- I think a squirrel (hahaha). (12/18/2008)

By Sandys Family

Hydrogen Peroxide Question:

Removing Skunk Smell from House

My dog was skunked the first day of a 7 day power outage due to an ice storm. I had no water and it was too cold to leave him out. So he stayed in the mudroom which has carpeting. After we got power and bathed the dogs with various concoctions, I tackled the now stenched mudroom. I tried vinegar in bowls, coffee grounds and febreeze. They helped some, but what really did the trick was sprinkling Arm & Hammer kitty deodorizer on everything and vacuuming up the next day. Hope that helps. (12/23/2008)

By tld08

Skunk in the Grass
Removing Skunk Smell from House
A skunk getting ready to spray.
Removing Skunk Smell from a Car
Skunk On white Background
Removing Skunk Odor From Carpet
A plastic basket of laundry.
Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
🎉
🎄