Removing Skunk Smell from a Dog

Skunk spray is oily and can be tough to remove from your dog's fur. Luckily there are ways to remove the odor without harming your pet. This is a guide about removing skunk smell from a dog.

April 12, 2007 Flag

To remove the stink: Mix 1 quart of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide with 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of mild dishwashing detergent (make sure it doesn't contain bleach or ammonia). Rub this mixture all over your dog's coat. Prevent it from getting into your pet's eyes or ears. Then give your pooch a bath with a mild pet shampoo. Rinse well.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This worked GREAT our dog Sandie took after a skunk tonight..we bought tomato juice but read about this..THANKS

July 10, 2011 Flag

My 12 pound dog was sprayed by a skunk tonight. Immediately, I put baby powder all over him. That's all I had at the moment. I figured that would soak up the skunk oil. I ran to the store and picked up baking soda, peroxide, and dish detergent (Cascade). Most websites claimed that this would be the best solution. So, I washed him in that, but he still stinks.

He was sprayed on the left side of the face and down the neck area. I was careful not to get the mixture in his ears, eyes, or mouth. I don't know what else to do he still stinks badly! Does Murphy's oil soap really work on dogs and is it safe? I know skunk spray is an oil so it's tough to get out. Help please.

By Lauren D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Mix 1 quart of Hydrogen peroxide with 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 to 2 tablespoons of Dawn dish soap (not Cascade), which is a good degreaser. Wash dog immediately with this mixture, leave it on the dog for at least 5 minutes or until the odor is gone, then rinse. If the dog was heavily saturated with skunk spray, then you may need to repeat the wash. The tomato paste/sauce wash works, but not instantly. It will take about 12 hours for the smell to go away. I had to wash my cat this way last spring and yes it does work. There will be a light odor, but very livable, when their coats get damp for a couple of weeks afterwards.

Best Answer

Skunk Odor Neutralizer (You may have heard on BON-CC-41, same product, new name!) from BioWorld works the best! The Peroxide method will only work to an extent and not good for pets who have been sprayed around the face. Tomato Juice will only mask the odors (your nose just picks up the tomato but others will still notice the skunk). Many other commercial skunk treatments are alcohol based and can dry out your dogs skin,

Skunk Odor Neutralizer is natural and plant based. Safe to use on the dogs face (be careful around the eyes but a washcloth on the face and in the ears works great). It won't dry out your pets skin. Use dawn dish soap with the odor neutralizer for a degreaser to remove the skunk oils. Both should work great together! If the dog gets wet, the odor may return but just spray the odor neutralizer on your dog and that should help!

http://www.bioworldusa.com/household/odor-remover/skunk

Read More Answers...

March 16, 2015 Flag

We live in a rural area and our dog gets "skunked" at least once a year. This is how I have learned to handle it. I developed this method through trial and error, and unfortunately lots of practice.

Keep a box of baby wipes very handy! When your pooch takes a hit, grab the box of wipes and go to work. Start with a large wad of wipes and work from nose to tail, smoothing backward with the grain of the fur. Do not scrub, just wipe, and change to a fresh wad of wipes often. Yes this does seem wasteful, but how much do you enjoy "odour-de-striped-kitty" on your dog or in your house?

Our dog usually gets it in the face, chest, and front legs the worst. When we have wiped, frantically I might add, as much as possible off the dog we put him in the tub and go to work with a commercially prepared "de-skunking" shampoo. Usually by the time we're done with that the odor is very faint, and sometimes not noticeable at all.

The quicker you get to the dog with the wipes the better. If you let the dog roll in the grass in an effort to get the hideous stuff off him or herself he will only rub it in further, and then wipes won't help much.

Hope this helps someone. It sure has made life at our house much better smelling!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well he did it again last night! Same drill,...same results. This afternoon we can barely smell skunk on him. He should smell entirely like German Shepherd again in a couple of days!

July 4, 2011 Flag

What else beside the baking soda, peroxide, and dish soap can I use to get rid of skunk smell on my dog and the house? I have also used tomato juice/sauce and diluted vinegar. Thank you.

By A

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Bulk douche powder by the handful in gallon jug of water. Treat area, dog or car. I wouldn't put it in the dog's eyes, of course.

Best Answer

The only safe and effective product I have found for skunk spray on my dog and house is Odorxit concentrate available on the web.

Read More Answers...

March 3, 2011 Flag

Help! We need a home recipe for skunk smell remover "without" hydrogen peroxide. We understand it would bleach our Irish Setter's coat. Thanks!

By Sandy from Cleveland, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Beer helps the smell of skunk if tomato juice doesn't help.

Best Answer

Many years ago, my Alaskan malamute brought skunk spray into the house and I didn't realize it until she had rubbed it into the carpet. My (female) vet recommended a solution of douche concentrate & water - on the dog & on the carpet. I will forever be grateful to her - it neutralized the odor on the dog, walls, wood cabinets, kitchen cabinets, carpet and all the cleaning rags!

Read More Answers...

August 21, 2014 Flag

Recently one of my dogs got sprayed in her face by a skunk. Her breath was horrible, even after we repeatedly rinsed her mouth and face. I found that after the smell on her fur faded, her breath still held the smell of skunk. I tried giving her breath treats and nothing helped. Finally, I discovered that after feeding her raw carrots and potato chunks, the smell disappeared.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just be careful with giving raw potatoes. Be very sure that none are green. The green ones/parts are toxic.

September 25, 2013 Flag

Boil a handful of whole cloves in large pot of water. Let water cool. Pour on dog and let dry by itself. This is the "only" thing that has ever worked for me and I have tried everything over the years.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 30, 2009 Flag

My daughter's dog got sprayed by a skunk. Is tomato juice really the best remedy?

By Sunshine in Cincy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Listerine (brand name only) works the best!

Best Answer

I feel your pain trying to figure out what works best. I have a black lab mix who loves to mess with skunks, so I've had to figure what works through trial and error. Lots of error... I've learned tomato juice does not work. The Peroxide/baking soda mix does work after a few washes and dryings of his coat. But the best I've personally tried is something called DoggiCleen. In just one wash, it completely removes all the skunk smell. It was awesome and affordable. I love telling others about it, cause if your pet gets sprayed, you need this. I'm a believer and will always keep doggicleen on hand. You can go to the biocidesystems.com website for more info. I love it!

Read More Answers...

September 11, 2015 Flag

My dog is an outside dog, 24/7. We have a family of skunks living on our block. All of our homes are old model homes not trailer houses. My dog unfortunately attacked one and killed it and of course in the event he was spayed, probably several times. He then ran underneath the house. He will not come out and the smell is strong. I have tired the vinegar in cup in the rooms that smell and replaced window unit filters. I have fans going and candles burning. I am using air freshener daily. The dog hates water and so bathing him would be a fight. By the way he's a really quick and big dog. I don't know what else to do.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

And a responsible dog owner does not keep their pet outside 24/7 . That's cruel

I agree. And your dog will become socialized and more responsive to you if you make it an inside dog, even if he/she is big and fast. They are subject to all the ills of the world (weather extremes, storms, bugs, worms, bees, fleas, ticks, wild critters, even coyotes, if you don't let them live mainly inside your house). You'll probably have to have the crawl space under your house cleaned of skunk oil odor. When they get sprayed in the face, as often they do, it'll take about 1-2 months for the smell to leave their sinus cavities. Good luck! Hopefully the smell is gone by now. My dog got skunked at 5 a.m. in my backyard just a couple days ago. Whew! :)

Read More Answers...

October 19, 2006 Flag

When your pet has a problem with skunk smell you can use a ferret deodorizing shampoo. Ferrets carry a very musky odor and this shampoo removes the smell so great.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 9, 2013 Flag

I want to make the home remedy of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and Dawn soap. It's 10pm and no stores are open. I am out of baking soda, can I just use peroxide and Dawn soap?

By Jacq

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It is a chemical reaction between the peroxide and baking soda that makes this remedy work. If you don't have any baking soda, you could try the old tomato juice bath if you have any of that on hand. Follow with a bath in soapy water.

August 2, 2011 Flag

What do I put in my dog's eyes after she got sprayed by a skunk?

By Monika L

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Call your vet!

I am not usually one that immediately says to call the vet first and foremost. And for the rest of her body there are home solutions to help get rid of the odor.

But with her eyes, she definitely needs to see the vet. Anything from home could possibly damage her eyes and therefore her eyesight.

So please take her to a vet immediately. If you can't afford it today, then call around. Most towns have at least one vet that has enough of a heart and cares more for the animals than his/her pocket, and will allow you to make payments.

July 9, 2011 Flag

My dog was just sprayed in the face by a skunk; what can I do?

By Jamie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Handful of bulk douche powder for each gallon of water. Pour and soak. I wouldn't put it in the dogs eyes.

June 21, 2007 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 3, 2011 Flag

How can I remove skunk smell from dogs?

By Tish from Qualala, CA

Answers:

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

Old fashioned tomato juice works really well, or you can buy "Skunk Off" at your local pet store. (08/04/2010)

By K9cats

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

There is a recipe and I am not sure of the amounts, but since you wash it off, it should not really matter. It is peroxide, baking soda, and lemon juice that does it. I had a friend who had a dog that was sprayed badly, and this helped. It is a mess, those little critters are so good at stinking our dogs up! Oh good I found the amounts of this recipe:

http://www.wikihow.com/Deskunk-Your-Dog
Blessings.

(08/04/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

Good luck! Our dog was sprayed about a month ago and we tried everything!. Tomato juice-forget it. We mixed up the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and detergent. That was no help. We bought all the skunk deodorizers at the hardware store, sprayed the carpet, sprayed the dog, and shampooed everything. Nothing works. Only time will take it away. (08/25/2010)

By Marfette

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 3, 2010 Flag

I would like advice for how to get skunk smell off a dog?

By Brett from Zimmerman, MN

Answers:

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

You mix a box (smaller size) of baking soda with most of a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, and add a couple of good squirts of Dawn dish soap liquid. Wet your dog and rub this mixture in all over. Allow it to remain on your dog at least five to ten minutes; then rinse thoroughly. It does a great job! You can't use it as thoroughly on the face, but do the best you can. (06/17/2010)

By Jilson

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

In my experience (twice) you can give a dog a bath in tomato juice and it does the trick. (06/17/2010)

By Suntydt

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

I'm trying to find my old answer posted here, last times my dogs got skunked. Don't waste your time with tomato juice, it only reduced the smell as long as it's on the dogs. It's a waste of perfectly good tomato juice. I used Nature's Miracle, but I also used the peroxide/baking soda/dish soap mix and was looking for my recipe. I wish I could search this site for answers I've posted! (07/24/2010)

By LilyBarthes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 17, 2010 Flag

My dog was sprayed by a skunk and we seem to have gotten the odor out of her fur with dog shampoo, but I can't get the terrible smell out of her mouth. What do I do?

By Bobbi from NC

Answers:

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

If the dog is manageable, I would mix baking soda and peroxide and brush its teeth. Baking soda and peroxide are the two main ingredients in the skunk shampoo that we have used successfully, so they might help. It is a mixture used for humans, so shouldn't hurt the dog. Try to avoid using an excess, so it won't swallow a lot and get an upset stomach. (02/21/2010)

By Jilson

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

Try peanut butter! (02/25/2010)

By tnoell

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

I heard you can bath in tomato juice to remove the smell of a skunk. Maybe give him some to drink, It may work on his mouth odour. (03/21/2010)

By Pennypacer

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

Our dog Simon got sprayed by a skunk and we used chemist Paul Krebaum's formula to get it out. It worked great. The formula is here along with some other ideas for "additional cleansing". Hope this helps!

hubpages.com (06/05/2010)

By Dorsi

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets Dogs GroomingAugust 17, 2011
Products
Skunk-Off Pet Shampoo
A skunk getting ready to spray.
Removing Skunk Smell from a Car
Skunk in the Grass
Removing Skunk Smell from House
A plastic basket of laundry.
Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
🎉
🎄