Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Skunk Smell from a Dog

Skunk spray is oily and can be tough to remove from your dog's fur. Luckily there are ways to remove the odor without harming your pet. This is a guide about removing skunk smell from a dog.

April 12, 2007 Flag

To remove the stink: Mix 1 quart of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide with 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of mild dishwashing detergent (make sure it doesn't contain bleach or ammonia). Rub this mixture all over your dog's coat. Prevent it from getting into your pet's eyes or ears. Then give your pooch a bath with a mild pet shampoo. Rinse well.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This worked GREAT our dog Sandie took after a skunk tonight..we bought tomato juice but read about this..THANKS

March 16, 2015 Flag

We live in a rural area and our dog gets "skunked" at least once a year. This is how I have learned to handle it. I developed this method through trial and error, and unfortunately lots of practice.

Keep a box of baby wipes very handy! When your pooch takes a hit, grab the box of wipes and go to work. Start with a large wad of wipes and work from nose to tail, smoothing backward with the grain of the fur. Do not scrub, just wipe, and change to a fresh wad of wipes often. Yes this does seem wasteful, but how much do you enjoy "odour-de-striped-kitty" on your dog or in your house?

Our dog usually gets it in the face, chest, and front legs the worst. When we have wiped, frantically I might add, as much as possible off the dog we put him in the tub and go to work with a commercially prepared "de-skunking" shampoo. Usually by the time we're done with that the odor is very faint, and sometimes not noticeable at all.

The quicker you get to the dog with the wipes the better. If you let the dog roll in the grass in an effort to get the hideous stuff off him or herself he will only rub it in further, and then wipes won't help much.

Hope this helps someone. It sure has made life at our house much better smelling!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well he did it again last night! Same drill,...same results. This afternoon we can barely smell skunk on him. He should smell entirely like German Shepherd again in a couple of days!

August 21, 2014 Flag

Recently one of my dogs got sprayed in her face by a skunk. Her breath was horrible, even after we repeatedly rinsed her mouth and face. I found that after the smell on her fur faded, her breath still held the smell of skunk. I tried giving her breath treats and nothing helped. Finally, I discovered that after feeding her raw carrots and potato chunks, the smell disappeared.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just be careful with giving raw potatoes. Be very sure that none are green. The green ones/parts are toxic.

Boil a handful of whole cloves in large pot of water. Let water cool. Pour on dog and let dry by itself. This is the "only" thing that has ever worked for me and I have tried everything over the years.

When your pet has a problem with skunk smell you can use a ferret deodorizing shampoo. Ferrets carry a very musky odor and this shampoo removes the smell so great.

July 10, 2011 Flag

My 12 pound dog was sprayed by a skunk tonight. Immediately, I put baby powder all over him. That's all I had at the moment. I figured that would soak up the skunk oil. I ran to the store and picked up baking soda, peroxide, and dish detergent (Cascade). Most websites claimed that this would be the best solution. So, I washed him in that, but he still stinks.

He was sprayed on the left side of the face and down the neck area. I was careful not to get the mixture in his ears, eyes, or mouth. I don't know what else to do he still stinks badly! Does Murphy's oil soap really work on dogs and is it safe? I know skunk spray is an oil so it's tough to get out. Help please.

By Lauren D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Big handful of bulk douche powder in a gallon of water. Pour and soak.

Best Answer

Mix 1 quart of Hydrogen peroxide with 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 to 2 tablespoons of Dawn dish soap (not Cascade), which is a good degreaser. Wash dog immediately with this mixture, leave it on the dog for at least 5 minutes or until the odor is gone, then rinse. If the dog was heavily saturated with skunk spray, then you may need to repeat the wash. The tomato paste/sauce wash works, but not instantly. It will take about 12 hours for the smell to go away. I had to wash my cat this way last spring and yes it does work. There will be a light odor, but very livable, when their coats get damp for a couple of weeks afterwards.

What else beside the baking soda, peroxide, and dish soap can I use to get rid of skunk smell on my dog and the house? I have also used tomato juice/sauce and diluted vinegar. Thank you.

By A

Best Answer

Apparently toothpaste works on people, but you would have to make sure to wash it all off, so they don't eat it.

Best Answer

Bulk douche powder by the handful in gallon jug of water. Treat area, dog or car. I wouldn't put it in the dog's eyes, of course.

March 3, 2011 Flag

Help! We need a home recipe for skunk smell remover "without" hydrogen peroxide. We understand it would bleach our Irish Setter's coat. Thanks!

By Sandy from Cleveland, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

When our Pekinese had its encounter with a skunk we used tomato juice and it worked pretty well. It didn't remove the smell completely, but it lowered the smell dramatically (you had to put your nose up beside him to smell it) and after two or three days it had no smell at all.

Best Answer

Beer helps the smell of skunk if tomato juice doesn't help.

July 30, 2009 Flag

My daughter's dog got sprayed by a skunk. Is tomato juice really the best remedy?

By Sunshine in Cincy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Listerine (brand name only) works the best!

Best Answer

I feel your pain trying to figure out what works best. I have a black lab mix who loves to mess with skunks, so I've had to figure what works through trial and error. Lots of error... I've learned tomato juice does not work. The Peroxide/baking soda mix does work after a few washes and dryings of his coat. But the best I've personally tried is something called DoggiCleen. In just one wash, it completely removes all the skunk smell. It was awesome and affordable. I love telling others about it, cause if your pet gets sprayed, you need this. I'm a believer and will always keep doggicleen on hand. You can go to the biocidesystems.com website for more info. I love it!

My dog is an outside dog, 24/7. We have a family of skunks living on our block. All of our homes are old model homes not trailer houses. My dog unfortunately attacked one and killed it and of course in the event he was spayed, probably several times. He then ran underneath the house. He will not come out and the smell is strong. I have tired the vinegar in cup in the rooms that smell and replaced window unit filters. I have fans going and candles burning. I am using air freshener daily. The dog hates water and so bathing him would be a fight. By the way he's a really quick and big dog. I don't know what else to do.

Like to mention that this just happened to my dog in our newly fenced in yard. We had the fencing co. make the spokes in the fence very close together so nothing could get in, and our two little dogs get out. We let them out when we get up early in the morning, and two days ago one of them came in with the spray. So the fencing thing is good , but not fool proof when it comes to critters which can be on the other side of the fence spraying in at our dog. As a result, we have had a terrible time trying to remove the odor in our home and of course on the dog. She's been professionally groomed right afterwards, but the odor is coming back. I've spent a lot of money on different solutions from suggestions given to me, and nothing is working. Going to call the vet, and see if they have any better ideas. It's hard to live in the house without our eyes burning. This is just a nasty thing to eliminate! Now, in our fenced in yard, we have to leash our dogs to take them out if it's dark out.

And a responsible dog owner does not keep their pet outside 24/7 . That's cruel

April 1, 2016 Flag

I am looking for a solution for a lingering skunk smell on my German Shepherd dog. She has had 3 baths with the baking soda/peroxide/dish soap mixture that worked well. But she still stinks, especially after getting wet. I know it takes a long time to completely get rid of the smell. But I am wondering if someone knows of a deodorizer of some sort that I can perhaps spray on her or wipe her down with? Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 9, 2013 Flag

I want to make the home remedy of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and Dawn soap. It's 10pm and no stores are open. I am out of baking soda, can I just use peroxide and Dawn soap?

By Jacq

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It is a chemical reaction between the peroxide and baking soda that makes this remedy work. If you don't have any baking soda, you could try the old tomato juice bath if you have any of that on hand. Follow with a bath in soapy water.

August 2, 2011 Flag

What do I put in my dog's eyes after she got sprayed by a skunk?

By Monika L

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Call your vet!

I am not usually one that immediately says to call the vet first and foremost. And for the rest of her body there are home solutions to help get rid of the odor.

But with her eyes, she definitely needs to see the vet. Anything from home could possibly damage her eyes and therefore her eyesight.

So please take her to a vet immediately. If you can't afford it today, then call around. Most towns have at least one vet that has enough of a heart and cares more for the animals than his/her pocket, and will allow you to make payments.

July 9, 2011 Flag

My dog was just sprayed in the face by a skunk; what can I do?

By Jamie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Handful of bulk douche powder for each gallon of water. Pour and soak. I wouldn't put it in the dogs eyes.

March 3, 2011 Flag

How can I remove skunk smell from dogs?

By Tish from Qualala, CA

Answers:

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

Old fashioned tomato juice works really well, or you can buy "Skunk Off" at your local pet store. (08/04/2010)

By K9cats

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

There is a recipe and I am not sure of the amounts, but since you wash it off, it should not really matter. It is peroxide, baking soda, and lemon juice that does it. I had a friend who had a dog that was sprayed badly, and this helped. It is a mess, those little critters are so good at stinking our dogs up! Oh good I found the amounts of this recipe:

http://www.wikihow.com/Deskunk-Your-Dog
Blessings.

(08/04/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

Good luck! Our dog was sprayed about a month ago and we tried everything!. Tomato juice-forget it. We mixed up the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and detergent. That was no help. We bought all the skunk deodorizers at the hardware store, sprayed the carpet, sprayed the dog, and shampooed everything. Nothing works. Only time will take it away. (08/25/2010)

By Marfette

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 3, 2010 Flag

I would like advice for how to get skunk smell off a dog?

By Brett from Zimmerman, MN

Answers:

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

You mix a box (smaller size) of baking soda with most of a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, and add a couple of good squirts of Dawn dish soap liquid. Wet your dog and rub this mixture in all over. Allow it to remain on your dog at least five to ten minutes; then rinse thoroughly. It does a great job! You can't use it as thoroughly on the face, but do the best you can. (06/17/2010)

By Jilson

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

In my experience (twice) you can give a dog a bath in tomato juice and it does the trick. (06/17/2010)

By Suntydt

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

I'm trying to find my old answer posted here, last times my dogs got skunked. Don't waste your time with tomato juice, it only reduced the smell as long as it's on the dogs. It's a waste of perfectly good tomato juice. I used Nature's Miracle, but I also used the peroxide/baking soda/dish soap mix and was looking for my recipe. I wish I could search this site for answers I've posted! (07/24/2010)

By LilyBarthes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 17, 2010 Flag

My dog was sprayed by a skunk and we seem to have gotten the odor out of her fur with dog shampoo, but I can't get the terrible smell out of her mouth. What do I do?

By Bobbi from NC

Answers:

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

If the dog is manageable, I would mix baking soda and peroxide and brush its teeth. Baking soda and peroxide are the two main ingredients in the skunk shampoo that we have used successfully, so they might help. It is a mixture used for humans, so shouldn't hurt the dog. Try to avoid using an excess, so it won't swallow a lot and get an upset stomach. (02/21/2010)

By Jilson

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

Try peanut butter! (02/25/2010)

By tnoell

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

I heard you can bath in tomato juice to remove the smell of a skunk. Maybe give him some to drink, It may work on his mouth odour. (03/21/2010)

By Pennypacer

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

Our dog Simon got sprayed by a skunk and we used chemist Paul Krebaum's formula to get it out. It worked great. The formula is here along with some other ideas for "additional cleansing". Hope this helps!

hubpages.com (06/05/2010)

By Dorsi

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 21, 2010 Flag

How do I get the skunk smell off my dog?

By Cali5622 from Connelly Springs, NC

Answers:

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

Yes, tomato juice works - might take more than once. (04/19/2009)

By LadyDi1947

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

Keep some Massengil douche on hand. Just the original scent. My vet swears by this and also people I know that volunteer at animal shelters. (04/20/2009)

By runuts251

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

We tried tomato juice, and it didn't really work. Since skunk spray is an oily substance, we thought of dish soap. So we tried plain old lemon scented dish soap, full strength, added warm water and lathered our dog up and then rinsed her off with warm water. We repeated this once or twice and that worked pretty well.

We've also used a baby shampoo (that doesn't hurt their eyes) by their face. You can also get a dog shampoo that doesn't hurt their eyes for around their head, but the dish soap seems to work better at removing the smell, so we use it on the rest of their body. (04/20/2009)

By emmamamie

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

Personal Pet Products makes the best shampoo for removing skunk odor. It is called SOS (Skunk Odor Shampoo). I have used it on my dogs, cats and myself, after I shampooed a pet. It has a pleasant coconut oil aroma.

It worked, on me, so well, that I wasn't worried when I went to work that I smelled like a skunk. You might find it at your pet store, but will probably have to go online to order it. It isn't expensive, either. (04/20/2009)

By graymare47

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

The recipe by chemist Paul Krembaum works the best. I wrote about our Border Collie that got skunked and we used this formula and it worked great. The recipe is here:

hubpages.com

Good luck with the de-skunking. (05/22/2009)

By Dorsi

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

First time my dog got sprayed, I tried peroxide, tomato juice, and backing soda. Nothing. Then I tried Skunk Off shampoo. A small improvement. I had to take her to the vet anyway. Recently it happened again with my other dog. I used what I saw my vet use, DoggiCLEEN Skunk Spray. It did the trick fast and effectively for a tiny fraction of my first Veterinary bill.
(09/09/2009)

By Lucylove

Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

I've tried everything, but the H2O2 recipe. What I found that works amazingly well is tea tree oil shampoo. One shampoo neutralizes all scent, even close range blasts. Our Lab has gotten skunked twice in the past 2 months, and I'll never use another product. (11/01/2009)

By maryflanagan

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dog just got sprayed by a skunk. My house smells horrible. I see a post about cider vinegar. Is it a certain type like apple cider, etc.? Also how much?

What is the recipe for removing skunk odor from a dog?

My dog got away from me, we live out by open fields and a river, when he came back I opened the door before i realized and he got skunked.

My dog got sprayed by a skunk tonight. Luckily there's a 24 hour vet close by to me and I was able to get skunk shampoo.

Pets Dogs GroomingAugust 17, 2011
Products
Skunk-Off Pet Shampoo
A skunk getting ready to spray.
Removing Skunk Smell from a Car
Skunk in the Grass
Removing Skunk Smell from House
A plastic basket of laundry.
Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 5:55:40 PM on 10.0.2.52 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.