Add to Guide Ask Question Join

Removing Smoke Odor After a House Fire

Category Odors

Smoke damage can be very difficult to remove even from a small house or kitchen fire. This is a guide about removing smoke odors after a house fire.

A firefighter in the smoke from a house fire.

Launder items using hot water, regular amount of detergent, and 1 cup each of white vinegar and baking soda. Repeat if any smoke smell remains. DO NOT dry until smoke smell is gone. This worked beautifully on my daughter's garments after her apartment complex had a fire. Most loads had to be run twice.

Top Comment

Our home was set on fire by an arsonist about three weeks ago and we lost nearly everything. We decided to try to salvage clothing that was hanging in the closet, and while there was no fire damage to them, there is a heavy stench of smoke. What was recommended to us has worked very well. We were told to mix two cups of Scope mouthwash into each load by the Red Cross. I don't know why, I'm no scientist, and I'm sure each case is different, but the smoke smell is undetectable after one wash and dry cycle. We have been able to salvage the clothing at least. A moral victory for us knowing the arsonist didn't destroy everything we owned. It might work for anyone else on here with this type of question.

Have you tried charcoal to remove the smell from the house and clothing and books? Take the clothing and books and put in a large trash bag. Place the charcoal in there first and then tie the end of the bag shut. Leave for about a week then remove and check for smell.

For the house, place charcoal in tin pans and sit around all over the house for a week. It should remove the smell.

For the smoke stains in clothes, try washing them in Oxiclean. I have never tried this but it came to me. It is suppossed to remove even the toughest stains.

Note: Use charcoal that does not have the starter added, just plain charcoal.

By Cassie

Water and smoke damage can lessen the value of collectibles. This is a guide features advice about cleaning collectibles damaged in a house fire.

A house on fire.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

After a fire, ridding your home of the smoke odor can be a daunting task. Books can easily harbor the lingering smoke smell for a long time. This is a guide about cleaning smoke odor from house fire in books.

Several books on a table.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do I remove the smoke smell from a mattress and garments that were in a house fire?

By cstaack from Columbus, NE

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Answers

Best Answer

Two ways I know how to get rid of odors from fire.

1. Get a bowl of water and add white vinegar and let stay there without anyone in the room for a few hrs.

2. Put charcoal in the room in dishes, they use it here in Florida to get rid of musty odors.

Best Answer

I had a fire in my home this past year. I contacted a company on the internet BioWorld Products in Visalia, California. They have a odor eliminating product that removed all the smoke odor from my home. It worked absolutely great! I keep it on my shelf and use it for all kinds of odor when the need arises.

Best Answer

You will want to call a smoke and fire contractor. They rebuild after damage. You may not be able to get the smell out since it seeps into your wood, drywall and insulation. My friends just rebuilt after a small fire and they had to hire a professional smoke and fire contractor to remove all the smoke damaged parts of the house. Sorry.

Best Answer

Sometimes professional cleaning services have ozone machines that they use to get rid of smoke damage smells. You might contact your insurance company for a recommendation.

How can I get the smoke smell out of our clothes and the smoke stains off after a small house fire?

By Danielle R.

We had a mattress fire and some burn damage to the floor. There is no soot, but a smoke odor is there. The ceilings are textured white. What do I use to deodorize and get rid of the smoke odor permanently? I know I have to clean everything, but am not sure where to look for products or what to ask for. Thanks for any help. We have no insurance, so I am doing this myself! Thanks again.

By Sybil

Anonymous
Best Answer

Even though you don't have insurance you could still call around to your local insurance companies to see what companies they use for fire/smoke cleanup. Then give those companies a call and I am sure they would be happy to give you some suggestions of what is the best thing to do and safest products to use.

It has been over 4 months since our house fire. There was heavy smoke damage. How do I get the smoke stains/smell out of trophies, tiaras, sashes, etc.?

Soak clothes in peroxide and baking soda over night, then rinse, put outside to dry.

Load More