Removing Soap Scum From Bath Tub or Shower

To remove soap scum from the bathtub, I get a washcloth and rub it with a bar of soap and scrub the tub. I do this after someone has gotten a bath and it really seems to work for my family of six.

By Jill from Shavertown, PA

Answers:

I just tried Fantastic Total Bathroom Orange Action on my acrylic bathtub. I sprayed it on, waited a few moments and tried wiping. My heart sank; it didn't work at all. I sprayed again and then let it sit while I watched a tv program. I came back in the first commercial, wiped with a soft cloth, and the soap scum was gone. Clearly the key is giving the product time to work. (07/30/2006)

By Pam

Calgon does indeed take it away. I had been looking for a product that would remove the soap scum from my son's shower for years. I had tried various products with no success, even the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser which I happen to love. Then I read about using Calgon. The funny thing is that I use Calgon in my bath water all the time and my tub still looks like new. Yet it never dawned on me that it would work wonders on shower soap scum. Thanks Calgon and Kathy. (10/22/2006)

By Kawanna

A lot of advice about soap scum is about preventing it from forming in the first place. We moved into a house which was in immaculate, move-in condition except for the fiberglass shower stall. The build up of scum was impressive, giving meaning to "sticky shower scum." The previous owners were elderly and probably unable to clean it properly.

We tried all the tricks and products mentioned above with little success. Then I read about the fabric softner sheets and they work! I wrapped one around a sponge to make it easier to handle and scrubbed away.

The floor is another issue. There is a slip-resistant surface glued on it and the little grooves are full of soap scum. I saturated a towel in vinegar, spread it out and left it to soak. The jury is still out on this one. (10/30/2006)

By Elizabeth