Removing Spray Paint From Clothing

I had to put a car tire tread on a man's coat for a play. I had to use black car spray paint and would like to know if there is anything that will remove the mark please?

Christine

Answers:

Removing Spray Paint From Clothing

Enamel spray paint is practically impossible to remove from fabric. If the spray-paint was on a hard surface, you can sometimes remove it with Ketone or Fingernail Polish Remover (Acetone), but I wouldn't even try that on fabric because it could make the jacket flammable. One thing you could try would be "Awesome" cleaner.

They sell this cleaner at the Dollar Stores and I've heard from Dollar Store Employees that it even removes Tar from carpeting because contractors often buy whole cases of it. I would simply squirt the Awesome directly on the painted area then let sit overnight and launder as usual (that is, IF the coat can go through the washing machine!).

But my suggestion would be to forget removing the mark and instead come up with a wonderful large patch for the back of the coat like a H.O.G. patch (Harley Owners Group). Or for a woman, a BIG butterfly. They will embroider your own patch at the mall in those custom embroidery shops, or you could use a wonderful piece of fabric or several colors of ultra-suede in a patchwork formation.

This doesn't help you now, but next time use "Tempura" paints. They are washable watercolor paints. You can even buy powered tempura and when you add the water to make it into paint, add a squirt of dish-soap to the water and this will make the Tempura paint even easier to remove! I know about paints because I am an artist by trade.

* Personally, I think the Tire-Track is kinda cool! A great conversation starter! I'd just leave it as is! (04/15/2010)

By Cyinda

Removing Spray Paint From Clothing

I just did the same thing and used non-acetone nail polish remover and a washcloth and the paint stain came out! (05/13/2010)

By metroplex

Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Cans of spray paint in various colors.
Removing Spray Paint From Walls
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Spray bottle of perfume.
Repairing A Perfume Spray Nozzle
🎄
🍂