Removing Stains from a Satin Dress

Removing stains on satin dresses can be tricky. This is a guide about removing stains from a satin dress.

I have a shiny satin wedding dress and a shoe print stain from it being stepped on before our wedding day. How do I clean this footprint off of the back of my satin wedding gown?

Anonymous

This is one of those times when you need to rely on a professional dry cleaner!

I found this thread while googling how to clean satin. My darling youngest is into taking of his diaper every chance he gets. He decided to remove his soiled diaper in my closet and managed to smear some on my wedding dress.... My fault for not putting it back in its garment bag right away. I decided to try the hand washing method with a little dial anti bac hand soap (works like a dream on blood stains so why not? ) the stains came out with mild scrubbing no problem first shot. So I decided to tackle the 13 year old drag marks on the train that never got removed. Those are gone too now. I have tossed it in the washer on delicate to remove the potential for rings or water marks from just spot cleaning. We'll see how it looks after it hang dries, and I'll post my results for posterity.

Anonymous

The best thing ever!!!! Standard Rubbing Alcohol. Works wonders and won't harm the Satin....

I got a light grease mark my wedding dress and two small yellow spots. How do I remove them?

By Linda

On a wedding dress? You don't. There's too big of a risk of ruining it.

You go on facebook and ask who is the best dry cleaner in your area. Take it there, and when it is done, package it properly and put it straight into your closet or cedar chest.

Can you please tell me how to remove black grease off of a satin wedding dress which cannot be washed?

Lesley from Essex

For starters, place fabric over a towel on ironing board for some solid support. Use a piece of scotch tape, press down and lift. Repeat with new scotch tape each time so you aren't putting grease back down again. See if that helps. You can run your fingernail across top of tape firmly to get embedded grease. When you've got as much as you think you can, it may be gone. If not, use a clean white washcloth (so you can see stain clearly) or scrap from white tee shirt and dip in white vinegar so cloth is damp, not dripping. Then press down on fabric and lift...repeat if it seems to be helping. You can rub gently also.

I was amazed to see a saleswoman wet a cloth with simple green cleaner and gently rub a black spot off the shoulder of a white satin gown and it easily disappeared. It looked like grease from a car. No shadow stain remained. Water will leave that shadow mark. Good luck.

I don't have any suggestions about the grease but you CAN wash your wedding gown. My mother did mine 26 yrs. ago...and she and I have did my own two daughters wedding gowns as well. Its a myth that only a dry cleaner can do it at a very high price. Ours were all very fancy dresses with beadwork and trains...just use a gentle cycle and turn inside out. Line dry them on a windy day. Then put them into a box with blue tissue paper from the dollar store. Layer the blue tissue paper throughout the dress and around the dress. (must be blue for some reason)

Dear Lesley from Essex,

I had the same stain on my gown which my soon-to-be-(as in 1 hr.!) SIL removed with a clean wetted dish cloth & a bit of dishwashing soap (the name of the product was Dawn). The stain came off like magic & I was able to wear an unstained gown to the alter.

Cheryl

Well as some people suggested - dish washing liquid is good because it is mild and wont harm the fabric. My wedding dress is quite a thick satin so ''good old fashion scrubbing' like the olden days seem to get all the grease black marks off. Good workout for the arms.

This was SO helpful! Dish soap did take it out,

but yes, it takes a little scrubbing.

Thanks for the tips, I saved my new coat!

How do I remove red sharpie permanent marker from a pink satin formal dress? I made the dress my self and I need it in two weeks for a wedding. Can anyone help me? I do not want to wreck the dress. It already leaves spots when it gets wet.

Christina from Delano, MN

Don't mess with it -- take it to a professional cleaner!

(been there, done that)

Can you cover it with a bit of lace, some sequins, a silk flower, a rhinestone pin?

I would try hair spray. Saturate with the hair spray and then wash as normal. If you notice the stain getting lighter, then repeat until the stain is gone. This works great on ink, so worth a shot.

Try spraying the offending mark with hairspray, and blotting with paper towel. Make sure it gets quite wet with hairspray.When you are ready, wash in moderately warm water with strong soap. You may need to rub a little.

This has worked for me, so I hope it will help you.

PS: You may need to repeat the process.

I have a ranch dressing spot on a satin shirt. I need to know the best wat to clean it. Thank you.

By Judy

I just bought a brand new yellow satin grad dress, and somehow got black felt pen on it! any ideas on how to fix it? I'm scared to ruin it, or make it blotchy, but it looks horrible! Please help!

Lindsay from Canada

You can try hair spray I've never used it on satin but I know it works on cotton. I would test it on the inside seam of the dress.

I got dark brown hair color on a pair of light pink satin pajamas. I use Mean Green spray cleaner on everything, laundry stains included. I sprayed the pajamas with the cleaner then laundered them as usual. Not a trace of the hair color was left. You might want to try it on an inconspicous place first. I don't know about laundering the dress. You may want to try to spot clean it. Or send it to the cleaners. This would be you best bet.

How do you spot clean a satin wedding dress? The spots are light dirt. I didn't want to leave water spots or circles.

Carolb from Fairview, TN

I would definitely take it to a dry cleaner to be cleaned. Any type of "wet" will mark the satin.