KitchenCleaning

Removing Stains in a Kitchen Sink

What do you use to remove brown stains (could be coffee or dark soda) in a white kitchen sink?

Dry your sink first and then put baking soda on stain and put a few drops of Dawn and scrub using a soft bristle brush. This should remove your stains.

My sink gets a rust stain around the drain. I use a Brillo pad and baking soda. Use about 2-3 tablespoons dry and dampen the steel wool pad and scrub, let it set over night and try scrubbing the next morning and it should come right off. If it doesn't you may need a product with bleach. Like Soft Scrub. Pour a little soft scrub over the area you are cleaning, use the steel wool and scrub, let it sit until morning, it should definitely come clean. You can save money by buying store brand soft scrub, it is just the same...Good luck...

Anonymous

Fill the sink with water and add bleach. Leave until it has worked. Stay around to make sure no one puts their hands in it and wear rubber gloves to pull the plug

The Magic Eraser (or knockoff) makes easy work of this.

I like to combine the Mr. Clean Magic eraser (generic is fine) with Barkeeper's friend.

I would get a sponge saturated with 3% hydrogen peroxide and let it sit on the stain, at least a good half hour or more. Then I would use a magic eraser. If the sink is porcelain you could rub the stain with a pumice stone, a pumice stone sure cleans my toilet stains.

Cover the sink stain with bleach. Let set till gone. I have had the same problem and pure bleach was the only, and easiest, remedy.

I agree entirely with Anne, the previous poster. Chlorine bleach will do a good job and kill germs at the same time.

I don't like to use commercial cleaners. So I sprinkle salt and baking soda on the stains. Then, I cut a lemon in half and rub the cut side over the soda and salt mixture. It cleans it well. When done, run the lemon down the garbage disposal to clean it out and leave the kitchen smelling great.

I don't use chemical cleaners in our home, either. To clean our old porcelain sink I mist it with peroxide, sprinkle with baking soda. Drop a few drops of lemon essential oil then spray with vinegar & let it sit. Then come back and scrub with a nylon scrubbie. It looks great and the kitchen smells great from the essential oil.

First try wetting a dish cloth with bleach and applying to a small area. If it works, cover the rest of the sink and do the same. You don't need full strength bleach. You can mix it with water. Or you could fill the sink with bleach and water.

If it does not come off with the bleach it is probably a mineral stain like rust. In this case you need to use a product that has acid as its active ingredient. You could try testing a spot with a lemon wedge or vinegar. If it seems to be lessening the stain you know you need an acidic cleaner like Bar Keepers Friend which has oxalic acid, CLR or any product labelled to remove minerals. Do not use Ajax or Comet, even though they look like Bar Keepers Friend. They have different active ingredients. If you find that it is a mineral build up you can dry your sink after use so the water does not stay in contact with the sink, or you could spray the sink after use, with a vinegar and water solution which will dissolve any minerals in the water sticking to the sides and bottom of the sink.

Best of luck.