Removing Stains on Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring

Category Floors
Vinyl and linoleum are both types of resilient flooring. Because they are very different in their composition, you will want to determine your flooring type before attempting to remove stains. This is a guide about removing stains on vinyl or linoleum flooring.

PVC Pipes

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Depending on the type of flooring you have this stain can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing a PVC purple primer stain on a floor.

Throw rug on a kitchen floor.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Unfortunately the backing on bath mats and other throw rugs can have a chemical reaction with your flooring causing stains. This is a guide about removing throw rug stains on linoleum.

Hand wearing pink glove scrubbing white vinyl floor with blue sponge.  Black bucket with green cloth in the background

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning mold on vinyl flooring. Mold can grow on the underside of vinyl flooring or near the edges, often due to moisture.

Nail polish spilled on the floor.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning nail polish stains on linoleum. Removing stains from resilient flooring such as linoleum can usually be successful if the proper products and methods are used.

kitchen

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about dye from rugs stained my linoleum. If dye in a throw rug or carpet is not set, it could cause some staining.

Large pink stains have suddenly appeared on my mum's kitchen lino. I have checked underneath and all looks fine, no staining at all, and no damp. She says nothing has been spilt. We have tried cleaning with bleach with no luck. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Thanks

I live by myself. One morning I got up and noticed that there are black spots in different areas of my vinyl floor. I don't know how they got there. Nothing was dropped on it and it seems to be under the first layer of the vinyl floor. I don't understand. It is not cleanable.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Toilet bowl cleaner spilled on my linoleum, what can I do to remove it? Thanks

My son has thrush and low and behold I got the purple dye gentian violet on the darn kitchen floor. It is linoleum, very light in color, so of course it is completely noticeable. I live in an apartment and rent, so I would like to get this stain off asap! Especially before a landlord notices, or well, even my husband for that matter. Please help me, I have tried everything, dish soap, nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, weird stain cleaners under my sink that I figured would at least do something, soap and water, a mild green pad, etc., etc. Nothing worked. Please help me!

Answer Was this helpful? 1

How do you remove gentian violet stain on linoleum please

I rent an apartment, and I recently put an offer in on a house, but I'd like to clean my apartment very well to cut down on the costs of moving out. In my bathroom I have vinyl or linoleum flooring, in the kitchen also. In the bathroom next to the tub my flooring is kind of stained. Water must have gotten to it even though I tried hard not to let water out of the tub. Its like a yellowish stain.

Is there something that may get this out? Or are they gonna have to redo the floors? The trim near those areas is kind of worn too. I am not sure how to tell if it is mold or if it's cleanable. If it is mold, can it be cleaned? I know it says somewhere just to use water to clean the floors, but that's what I've done the whole time I've been there and it doesn't work. Any suggestions are great, or if you have any additional questions for me I'd be happy to answer them for you. Thanks.

If you have vinyl discoloration from water, you cannot clean it as it away as the water has changed the vinyl area itself, not stained it. Stains, like mildew, can be treated.

I have a dark stain on my kitchen floor that starts under my fridge and winds its way to the edge of my living room. We've checked under the fridge and found nothing. We've not spilled, dropped or splashed anything on the floor. It just appeared over night.

By Mary S

Answer Was this helpful? 1

It could be adhesive underneath has caused a chemical reaction and seeped upwards.. or it could be there is water leaking UNDER the floor.. best to get it checked out rather than wait and have more damage

How to remove printers ink from a vinyl floor, the ink is used in printing daily newspapers.

Has anyone had any luck with this?xx

I have a vinyl floor in my kitchen which I love. It is easy to clean and looks like tile. When the sun hits it yellow marks appear. At night when there is no sun, it is fine. Anyone ever hear of this?

The yellow looking stains stay on my 18 inch stick down tiles every where the sun hits it. Very frustrating. I hope there is a way to remove the stain because the tiles are great

I have some "rust" colored spots that are on my vinyl that I can't mop, scrub, or bleach out. They almost look like burn spots, but they are not. So my floor never looks clean. My husband says it may be something coming through from the subfloor. My vinyl is white with a light blue pattern. It's in great shape other than that. Any suggestions to get these spots out?

By Denise from GA

Thanks for the responses. Nothing metal has been sitting on the floor. I think I'll give the WD 40 a try, then may look for the Wink stuff. I have tried bleach and also steel wool soap pad. Have the same vinyl in bathroom, and don't have rusty looking spots in there.

How do you remove pen drawings off vinyl timber looking floors?

By Vicki from Parafield Gdns, Adelaide

Anonymous

Use toothpaste it's a abrasive put some in a dish use fingers if you want and just rub it will work on any surface even wall paper and just clean of .

I placed containers of laundry detergent - All, Oxiclean, Woolite, Clorox, and Shout on the floor in my laundry room. I now have some orange, almost rust colored, stains that I can't find a way to remove. I used ordinary soap and water, bleach, and Comet and nothing worked. Do you have any suggestions?

By Stanley

Need to know the type of floor to provide an answer.

Does anyone know what I can use to remove white spirit stains from vinyl flooring?

My vinyl flooring had paint on it so I used paint thinner to remove it. Now I have a light, misty, dried looking white stain on the tiles. Is there anything I can use to remove this?

We bought the trailer that we live in from a couple that we know and I did not notice this before we bought it. There is a yellowish stain around the vents on the linoleum floor (kitchen and bathrooms). I have tried everything that I know of to try and get this up. As far as I know there are no leaks or anything because my husband and my father-in-law made checked before we moved in. I am wondering what this is? Did it happen when we moved the trailer to another location? And PLEASE how do I get it up? I need some major help, I hate it on my floors. If you have any suggestions please post it or email it to me at eescott182002 (at) yahoo (dot) com . Thank you very much and I sure hope somebody has some ideas!

Erricka

It's non removable it is heat damage. Time to redo lino. Not very hard to do and cheap. Dont even glue down new just silicone around the edges. Hey good to to change the look.

I can't get a stain off linoleum floor from Heinz 57, it left a yellow stain. I tried cleaning with all purpose cleaner with bleach and it did not work.

Annettemace from Waxahachie, TX

I have wood laminate floors and have had similar stain dilemas. I found that Resolve Carpet cleaner will remove the stain even when other cleaners fail to do the job.

I had a new vinyl floor installed 18 months ago and a red stain started showing up about 6 months ago. How do I get rid of it?

I have a linoleum floor that has a pink stain on it. It looks like something drained out of the dishwasher onto the floor, Kool-Aid? Not sure. I think it's been there for a long time. I've tried Mr. Clean eraser, bleach, and ammonia, all separately, nothing works.

By Lynnvalverde from Surprise, AZ

My roommate had to replace some frozen, burst PVC pipes behind the tub enclosure this past winter. He used some dark purplish red stuff that had to be put onto the threads of the pipes to keep them from leaking when it dried. Well....you guessed it! He got it on the floor in several places and it stained badly. I couldn't get it up with anything I had on hand. So, I bought some acetone and put some on a paper towel and it came right up. The flooring is separate pieces of squares that adhere to the floor by pressing down on them. I don't know what the make up...(acrylic or linoleum) is considered. Anyway, the floor looks as good as new and it didn't hurt the finish either!

I have tried everything to get rid of this yellowing in certain parts of the floor, mainly around the edges. The strangest thing is when it's light out you see these stains. When it starts to get a little darker the stains disappear. I have tried Armstrong's stripper and a few other things. Anyone have any suggestions? It's driving me nuts. I would get another floor, but I'm afraid the same thing would happen.

I am desperately trying to remove a stain from my kitchen linoleum floor. I had a supermarket plastic bag containing nectarines (that were mouldy and waiting to be taken back) on the floor and when I picked it up a couple of days later, the words and colour from the carrier bag had imprinted onto the floor, I think as a result of the juice from the nectarines that had leaked into the bag. I've scrubbed, bleached, erased and used methylated spirit and nothing works! Please help!

Fiona from Bristol

It's just a funny, silly thought, but I wonder if magic eraser is a well defined product, I wonder if it works well on kids? LOL They come in messy/dirty and you wonder what they got into, right?

How do you clean old stains from the mat in the bathtub?

WOW How wierd that I was going to ask a question like this when I opened this email. I bought a cheap off white bath mat a couple of weeks ago and now have yellow stains resembling that darned mat that I just cannot get out. I have used bleach,comet.baking soda.tilex, Mr clean and whatever else I had around here.

Good luck if you find something and please please post if you do~

Load More