Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

Does anyone have a solution for removing tomato based stains (pasta sauce) on white clothing? I've tried removing as much of the stain by running cold water thru the stain and then soaking in bleach solution but it doesn't take all of the stain out.

Pat

Answers:

"OXY-CLEAN"

There is a great product out there called "OXY-CLEAN". Get water as hot as you can, add a a scoop of oxyclean and soak over night! It works. I got out formula stains from my mother's baby clothes that are 48 years old! (11/30/2000)

By Julie

Sunlight

Regarding the tomato-type stains in white clothing, try setting the item out in the sun for a few hours or a day. The sunlight seems to absorb the stain. I always do this and it works! It was great when my kids were little and were always spilling food on themselves. Also, I do this when I have tomato sauce stains in my Tupperware or other type container. It takes the stain right out. (11/30/2000)

By Theresa

Paste of Salt

I'm not sure this will work after the stain is set in, but I've had a lot of luck using a paste of salt and baking soda. Just rub it into the stain and wash as usual. (11/30/2000)

By Martha

Shout

I got tomato stains on a new shirt while putting up tomatoes this summer. (I know, I shouldn't have been wearing the new shirt!)

Anyway, it got washed and DRIED before I even noticed the stain, which was kind of at the waist level. The shirt was cotton, blue plaid, so I couldn't bleach it. I used shout pre-wash and the first washing after that was visibly better. I didn't dry it again, but squirted shout on again and rewashed it. It took about eight times but the stain is completely gone. (11/30/2000)

By Becky S. from Cincinnati

Awesome

I read this looking the same solution, and there is a bottle of stain remover called "Awesome" that I can only find at the dollar store and it works on ANYTHING!

I also used some liquid dishwasher detergent (Cascade) and rubbed it into the stain. You might need to scrub it with your fingernails or an old toothbrush, but it worked wonderfully!

DON'T PUT IT ON COLORS THOUGH!(08/18/2005)

By mom2181

Sunlight

I recently had a tomato sauce stain and came to this post to get some help. I usually use OxiClean stain remover which works great on everything, except tomato sauce. I can report that using Cascade or other DishWasher liquid (I used Sunlight) I was able to get the stain out. It worked on my white shirt!!! I recommend doing it on dry clothes as it come out much easier than on wet, but be sure to only use on Whites as the stain fighters in the liquid can bleach out colors. (06/01/2006)

By Andrew

Ice Cube

I didn't read very well and I took the ice cube trick to be a way to remove tomato stains from clothes but I'll be darned it the ice cube trick didn't actually work on my daughter's new t-shirt! And laundry stain remover products didn't. And it took no time at all. Thanks for the awesome trick. Now if someone could tell me how to salvage the other t-shirt that the laundry product lightly bleached, but that's another story. (07/02/2006)

By Wendy

Dish Detergent and an Ice Cube

I used granulated Automatic dish detergent and an ice cube. It took some elbow grease but the tomato stain came out. Thanks (08/07/2006)

By Kelly

Beware of Bleach

BEWARE! In my haste to clean my stained shirt, I used my dishwasher detergent which apparently had Bleach as an ingredient. I ruined my shirt! So be careful! (09/23/2006)

By Hohead

Help I stained my brand new shirt yesterday and I washed it 5 times. I was eating lunch and by hot pocket dripped out red sauce. I tried oxyclean but It would not work what should I do?

A messy baby getting tomato sauce stains on his clothing.
Removing Tomato Sauce Stains on Clothing
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Chopsticks Picking up Piece of Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipes
Homemade pizaa sauce.
Pizza Sauce Recipes
A pot of tomato sauce being cooked.
Tomato Sauce Recipes
🎉
🎄