Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

How do you get a tomato sauce stain out from a cotton dress? It is a week old. I have tried oxy clean, and other stain removers. It's very stubborn.

Mary

Answers:

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

If you can find it, buy Mr. Muscle oven cleaner - Not Easy Off, or any other brand, they just do not do the job. I am a chef and use this product religiously on every stain imaginable on my Chef coats to my everyday at home clothes. I have never had color fading or any problem at all when using it. I purchase it through my restaurant food supplier, but now you can get it through commercial ordering at Home Depot. Maybe you can buy it off the shelf there as well. Get some - you won't be disappointed. (09/01/2007)

By jodi

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

I used the liquid dish washer detergent without bleach and it actually worked to remove my tomato stain.
(10/18/2007)

By Kim

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

Tang, I didn't believe it either. I only tried it because I wanted to prove it didn't work. I put one scoop of tang in the Rubbermaid container and very hot tap water and let it sit. When I dumped it out the container was clear again. (11/19/2007)

By Dawn

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

I tried the dish washing liquid and ice and it actually worked. The sauce had only been on the shirt for 10 mins or so, but still, I'm very impressed. It's like magic! (11/24/2007)

By shell

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

Question for the Chef who suggested "Mr. Muscle Oven Cleaner". I have found a blue color and a neon yellow color can. Is there a difference? Which one do you use? Have you washed and then used this stuff? Thank you!
(01/13/2008)

By Michelle

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

Try using WD-40. It is a great laundry tool. It will take anything out, including wax. (07/30/2008)

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

My son had spaghetti sauce on a sweater that was washed and dried in the dryer. I got the stain wet, applied liquid dishwasher detergent, and rubbed with an ice cube. There was a small amount that did not come out and I used a paper towel with vinegar to bolt the remaining stain. It came out perfectly.

(11/01/2008)

By Deb

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

That WD-40 thing works! (11/11/2008)

By Rod

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

I just took the advice of someone to use dishwasher soap on my daughter's pink sweatshirt to remove a tomato-base stain. Bad idea! Now her new sweatshirt is completely ruined because the soap took the color out of it. (12/24/2008)

By nancy

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

Last night (1/27/09) my daughter got spaghetti sauce on her new sweatshirt from Disney (light blue). I have washed it 4x with Shout and 1x with Clorox2. I just tried the Vinegar -didn't work, tried the WD40 -didn't work and tried the Dawn original with ice -didn't work. Am I doing something wrong? The sweat shirt is wet and has not been dried. (01/28/2009)

By Holly

Removing Clothing Stains

For stains on white clothing I have had good luck treating the stains with hydrogen peroxide. Dab on stain, let sit for a few mins and pat with a dry paper towel. Repeat until stain is gone and wash normally. I have also had good luck removing many stains with Fells Naptha soap. It may take some elbow grease, but it is gentle, cheap, versatile and it's been around for 100 years.

For oily food stains like melted butter on cotton fabrics, I have used mineral spirits and been able to save black clothing I thought was ruined. Goo Gone and Murphy's Oil Soap liquid tend to leave a film that is hard to remove from some fabrics, so I don't use them. Dab mineral spirits directly on the stain, let it sit for 10 min and then hand wash and line dry. Repeat until stain is gone and no trace of mineral spirits smell remains.

Note: Be very careful when using mineral spirits. Do not wash treated items with the rest of your clothes and do not put them in the dryer.

For other types of crud and stains on everything on a variety of surfaces I use Krud Kutter. It is Made in the USA, available at Ace Hardware and works on just about everything. (03/01/2009)

By Margaret

Removing Tomato Sauce Stains

The best (and only) way of removing tomato stains from clothing is to hang the wet item of clothing outside in the bright sunlight. I tried every commercial product known to man without success, when I recalled something an older relative had told me years ago. It worked! (04/05/2009)

By Maypole