Removing Transferred Dye from Clothing

I accidentally ruined my daughter's favorite delicate light pink shirt. Somehow, I managed to get blue streaks of dye all over it. I tried stain remover, but the dye didn't budge. I did not dry it in the dryer, thank God! But it did sit in the laundry room for a couple of weeks thinking I would have to trash it. I decided I didn't have anything to lose so I researched and did a combination of different recommendations.

I applied rubbing alcohol, nothing happened. Directly over the alcohol, I applied white vinegar, still nothing. I filled the bathroom sink with hot water and dissolved 1/2 cup of Tide, 1/2 cup of Borax detergent booster, a big splash of rubbing alcohol, a big splash of white vinegar, and small splash of regular Clorox bleach. The blue dye instantly vanished!

Now, it is in the wash with cold water and Woolite. I am sure my daughter will be thrilled!

Editor's Note: Use caution when mixing household cleansers with other substances, especially bleach. Toxic gasses are easily created, which could cause injury. Read all labels first.

Top Comment

I just washed a pair of jeans that were running a little with medium blue sheets. The darker Blue from the jeans ran into one spot in the sheets. the fitted sheet it got caught up inside so there was a darker blue patch on top of the lighter blue sheets. I had tried to get an oil stain out of the jeans by using a splash of WD-40 and then scrubbing right away. That made the jeans run, so I thought let's see if the WD-40 get the dark dye out of the sheets. So I filled the sink with hot water and put some oxy clean in then I took the WD-40 and gave it a squirt into the water with the oxy clean. Used a long handled small brush and mixed well. then I took the sheets focusing on the spot of dark blue on and put that right into the water. Started scrubbing with the brush. it's very hot so you need a longer handle brush or rubber gloves. I scrubbed but not too hard. The dye came right out. The water got blue and then the rinse water got blue and then the next rinse water got blue. Now I'm rewashing the sheets by themselves. We'll see if it came all the way but I'm pretty sure it did. I did not leave it to soak. I suppose if it's a more difficult stain you could do that. Also initially I miss this stain and did put them in the dryer. Hope this helps

Soak overnight in Biz....always works! Safe for all colors....even brightens them

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. That worked for us too! (but we didn't add bleach). Saved us from a very tearful morning :)

Where would i get rubbing alcohol from

Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol is commonly available at any grocery or drug store. I would look in the medical supplies, near the hydrogen peroxide. It's very cheap and very effective for all sorts of cleaning projects.

Hmmm, It not work for me. :(

Anonymous

i accidentally ruined my arsenal t-shirt i washed it wth a red dress so d white part of my tshirt changed to red so plz help cz am scared of using bleach

This worked for me, thanks! Although I did not have Tide or Borax so i went with Arm & Hammer and Clorox booster/stain fighter. And I had no rubbing alcohol so in went some gin along with vinegar. Used gloves and held my breath- it worked! Thankful because apparently a new sweater had stained my new monogrammed white puffy vest my sister bought me for xmas. I was so upset.

Hello there!

I had a white t-shirt with a little blue dye transferred to it. I was so sorry because it was one of my favorites, you that one white simple t-shirt you can wear with a skirt or a good pair of trousers... I tried rubbing it with a lemon, then I sprinkled a little salt on top rubbed it with the lemon again and then handwashed it with a little SKIP active clean a little splash of bleach. It worked like a charm! No more stains!

Anonymous

Please do not mix bleach and vinegar, it is toxic.