Removing Tree Sap From a Car

What is the best way to remove tree sap from an automobile?

Mary from Washington, MO

Answers:

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

Try vegetable oil. I worked in a flower shop for a few years and at Christmas time we used it to get the sap off of our hands. (07/17/2007)

By lauri_cote

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

I have used Goo Gone and Goof Off (same sort of thing) on my cars before. I had some vinyl lettering that I removed and it left a sticky residue. I used the Goo Gone and it was gone. It didn't hurt the paint at all.

This is not a very "green" solution, because the stuff stinks. It smells very toxic. I used double rubber gloves and wished that I had a mask. Be sure to do this outside or in a well ventilated area.

Jess (07/19/2007)

By jess

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

After working in the auto industry for 20 years, I can tell you what should work. After washing the car (to remove any other dirt), try using Bug and Tar Remover. You can find it in the automotive section of any store (like Walmart or Pep Boys). Use it sparingly, because it will strip any wax you may have on the car, but it won't damage the finish.

It's a time consuming process, but I've had much success with this. After, wax the area. As I mentioned, the remover also strips off any wax. Also, a good coat of wax on the car will make it much easier to remove the sap should this ever happen again.

Good Luck.

Jenny (07/19/2007)

By youngster8

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

Use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, it works well for me, not much scrubbing. (08/09/2007)

By Megan

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

What didn't work:
I applied Varsol to dried sap on my car window, and it didn't work. (09/04/2007)

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

I work at a car wash. A clay bar is the best way. You can use that all over your car, that is better. You can buy a kit for about $20.00. You get the sprayer and the clay bar (like Playdoh), spray what is in the bottle and take the clay bar out of the package and use in small circles. Make sure that you keep the area wet at all times. Everyone should do this if your run your hands over your car and it fells rough. After you clay bar the whole car then wax. The wax will last three times longer. (12/25/2007)

By Lance

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

Use rubbing alcohol, it comes off pretty easy. After the sap is gone clean the area with Windex. It's that easy. (07/04/2008)

By Mike

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

I had sap on my car and used lemon extract. It worked great, I didn't have to scrub or anything. Paint still looks good. (07/06/2008)

By jared0949

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

I used the Magic eraser and it didn't work well, a little bit but not well.
(08/20/2008)

By Joy from Canada

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

Use a dampened fabric softener sheet, wring out water. You can use it to take off bugs and sap. A used fabric softener sheet will also work.

(09/02/2008)

By Cathy from MA

Christmas tree on top of an SUV.
Removing Tree Sap from a Car
Laminate Flooring
Cleaning Tree Sap From Laminate Flooring
A dog sitting near pine trees.
Removing Tree Sap from Your Pet's Fur
Beautiful Cedar Deck
Removing Sap from a Deck
Sap spot and cleaning supplies.
Removing Tree Sap on Microfiber
🎉
🎄