Browsing: Removing Tree Sap

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Tree Sap

Tree sap can get on anything from clothing to your car. This is a guide about removing tree sap.

Removing Tree Sap Stains
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 1, 2008 Flag

A pine cone dripping tree sap.Spring and late summer are the prime seasons for sticky, gooey, tree sap. The stuff seems to ooze onto everything with ease. Getting it off, however, can be a whole different matter. Here are some sure fire methods for removing tree sap from just about anything.

Let the Agent Do the Work

The most efficient and effective way to remove sap from any surface is to allow the removal agents to do the work. In the case of alcohols, that means letting them dissolve the sap, and in the case of oils, letting them soften the sap before rubbing the remainder of it off.

To avoid damaging the surface covered in sap, AWAYS test removal agents on an inconspicuous area first. Only when that area has been treated successfully should you proceed to a larger area. Always wear gloves and use precautions when using any type of chemical.

How To Remove Sap From Vehicles

Note: When removing sap from a vehicle, the goal is to use the least amount of pressure possible to reduce the risk of scratching the paint. After the sap is removed, treated areas should always be buffed with a high quality polish or re-waxed in order to clean up any marks created during removal. As always, test the method in an inconspicuous place before applying to a broader area.

How To Remove Sap From Wood (including decks and wooden patio furniture)

Try applying non-diluted Murphy's Oil Soap with a mop (large area) or pour directly onto the affected surface. Allow the soap to sit for 15 minutes before scrubbing it clean with a soft brush. Rinse and allow to dry. Supposedly, this method works best on sealed wood.

How To Remove Sap From Clothes (including fleece, polyester, and cotton)

Apply a liberal amount of hand sanitizer to the area, and gently work it into the fabric. For really stubborn spots, brush the area with a soft bristled toothbrush. Rinse and dry.

How To Remove Sap From Leather

Rub creamy peanut butter into the leather. The oil conditions the leather while softening the tree sap. Simply rinse with warm soapy water and allow to dry.

How To Remove Sap From Skin

Oil-based Agents: Alcohol Agents*: *Caution: these can cause skin irritations with some people

Apply to the skin with a soft damp cloth, then rinse with warm, soapy water.

How To Remove Sap From Hair (including pet hair and paws)

Hair is one of the hardest things to remove tree sap from, but the task can be made somewhat easier if the sap is still soft. Short of getting yourself a new haircut, try the following:

Creamy peanut better (the oilier the better). Apply it liberally to the hair and soften it using a hair dryer on the lowest setting (careful to avoid burning the skin). Let the softened peanut butter sit for a few minutes before combing it through the hair with a large-toothed comb. Shampoo and rinse with warm water. If you can't stand peanut butter, substitute mayonnaise.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 20, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing tree sap from a tombstone. Tree sap can often be fairly easily removed from many surfaces, using a variety of products that act as solvents.

Old cemetery with tombstones and trees

July 7, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning tree sap from hair. Sticky tree sap seems like it might be impossible to clean out of your hair. It is in fact easy if you use the right products.

Tree sap running down the bark of a tree

June 28, 2015 Flag

How do I remove pine tree sap on the overhead screens on my lanai? The pine tree always drips sap and I can't remove the pine tree.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, Em. Sap is insidious, isn't it. Google has some good answers and here's one that won't cost a lot: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn ... ees/tgen/how-to-remove-tree-sap.htm. Going forward, however, so that you don't have to worry about sap removal on a regular basis, could you protect your screens with cheap roll ends of wallpaper or something similar? Simply remove the paper or cheap fabric periodically then replace it without having to worry about cleaning / scouring?

Yes,yes,yes I am happy to say. Our deck chairs are metal frames with strong poly mesh seats and backs. I thought today I would attempt to find a solution to the pine gum from nearby hanging trees. First I tried rubbing alcohol ready to go to Goo Gone if necessary. Eureka...with alcohol, the gum just dissolved making it no more than just rubbing it off. Easy really. Hope this helps others.

April 26, 2014 Flag

Cast iron skillet.How it got there is another story, but my cast iron skillet is covered (the entire bottom and out one side) with pine sap. The weather is not yet warm enough outside for the sun to soften it. What would be the best way to tackle this situation? Any help is appreciated.

By BigDan

Spread and gently rub dry dirt over the sap. Be sure to cover all of the sap. Let set a few minutes. Shake excess dirt off and wash in soap (I use Dawn) and water. Dry thoroughly. This also works well for sap on skin, hair etc.

mayonnaise dissolve sap. Gets it off hands, should get it off cast iron.

Read More Answers...

July 8, 2013 Flag

Red spots on skin.At the end of April I went hiking and got what I thought were splinters from some trees that I had grabbed onto with my arm bent. So it's right in the crease of my arm, opposite my elbow. Now it's July and what I now realize is that it is tree sap not splinters oozing out slowly. It burns. What do I do? Is there a way to soak out the sap?

By Sarah W.

I think you should go to a doctor. Anything minor you got on your arm in April -- splinters or sap -- would be gone by now. This is nothing like I have ever heard of.

Your arm looks infected. It has been long enough that it could be a very serious infection. You need to see a doctor right away.

Read More Answers...

August 12, 2002 Flag

Does anyone know how to get pine tree sap off of outdoor furniture fabric?
    - Foula

How do you get sap out of treated wood that has been stained

How do you get pine sap or gum off of a hot tub cover without ruining it. Plus I'm pregnant and I can't have really harsh chemicals so maybe a natural way or not real smelly stuff.

Editor's Note: You could try baby oil.

Read More Answers...

May 13, 2013 Flag

I have multiple areas with sap on a few window screens, will nail polish remover work?

By Lady Lucy from NY

To remove sap with nail polish remover effectively you'd want to use a nail polish remover with acetone because the non-acetone won't even cut through price tag adhesive in my experience. You should test a very small area of the screen to see if the nail polish remover will remove the sap without melting the synthetic material the mesh is woven from-acetone can 'melt' plastics.

I think you'd have safer and better results using one of the automotive sap removing products. The car care products for removing sap from car finishes, windscreens, and headlamps (all car parts or finishes being made with synthetic polymers nowadays) will remove the sap easily without 'melting' your screen mesh.

I would use rubbing alcohol.

September 15, 2013 Flag

How do you remove pine tree sap from vinyl flooring?

By Brenda B.

Rubbing alcohol should do the trick. Just let it set on the sap for a few minutes and then try to scrub off. If it all doesn't come off try again. A plastic scraper or an old credit card may help as well.

June 19, 2013 Flag

I have tree sap (from the yellow sticky buds off trees) that fall onto my outdoor vinyl I have on my deck. I cannot remove the yellow stickiness. I tried Goof Off, but that also took the colour out of my vinyl too. Please if anyone has a solution I would very much appreciate your response.

By Brenda B.

Have you tried wd-40?

August 16, 2010 Flag

How do I remove tree sap from a nylon tent without damaging the fabric?

By Amanda from Livonia, NY

I used to park beneath pine trees that left my car covered in sap. The only thing I found to remove the sap was plain old rubbing alcohol on a rag. I would try it on your tent.

I know coke-a-cola will remove tree sap from cars. Maybe try it on a small area?

April 27, 2009 Flag

How can I remove tree sap on a vinyl awning? It is on a Travel Trailer. We were able to clean the top, but the under side is vinyl and we think it has tree sap on it where it is rolled up when not in use.

By Babychiane from Longs, SC

Have you tried using WD-40? It worked on tree sap on my windshield. Good luck!

Tree sap only dissolves in alcohol so try soaking the stain with vodka (I'm not sure whether rubbing alcohol would be too strong-but think of that if the vodka doesn't work). Luckily I saw a feature on the TV recently where tree sap was used in a homemade remedy for varicose veins! I hope it works.

Kind regards, Monique

July 20, 2008 Flag

My dog had stepped in a big pile of sap/pitch and it covered her whole left back foot. I read somewhere where butter would help. I tried a stick of butter and it was working but not as quickly as I would have like. I then tried olive oil and I rubbed it in her paw between the pads and it literally melted away. She had sticks and rocks embedded in between her pads. Poor girl.

Make sure when you do this, it is either in a bath tub or out side. Also another helpful hint would be to wash the area off with Dawn liquid dish soap. It will take away the oily greasy mess. :o) Hope this helps someone!

By Barbie from Wenatchee, WA

June 1, 2010 Flag

How do I get pine tar out of patio cushions?

By Judith from Milwaukee, WI

I read yesterday on this site to use olive oil, it doesn't take much just a small amount.

Load More
    Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJune 23, 2012
    A dog sitting near pine trees.
    Removing Tree Sap from Your Pet's Fur
    Beautiful Cedar Deck
    Removing Sap from a Deck
    Christmas tree on top of an SUV.
    Removing Tree Sap from a Car
    Sap spot and cleaning supplies.
    Removing Tree Sap on Microfiber
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 29, 2016 at 12:13:25 AM on 10.0.2.71 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.