Removing Tree Sap

Tree sap can get on anything from clothing to your car. This is a guide about removing tree sap.

December 1, 2008 Flag

Spring and late summer are the prime seasons for sticky, gooey, tree sap. The stuff seems to ooze onto everything with ease. Getting it off, however, can be a whole different matter. Here are some sure fire methods for removing tree sap from just about anything.

Let the Agent Do the Work

The most efficient and effective way to remove sap from any surface is to allow the removal agents to do the work. In the case of alcohols, that means letting them dissolve the sap, and in the case of oils, letting them soften the sap before rubbing the remainder of it off.

To avoid damaging the surface covered in sap, AWAYS test removal agents on an inconspicuous area first. Only when that area has been treated successfully should you proceed to a larger area. Always wear gloves and use precautions when using any type of chemical.

How To Remove Sap From Vehicles

Note: When removing sap from a vehicle, the goal is to use the least amount of pressure possible to reduce the risk of scratching the paint. After the sap is removed, treated areas should always be buffed with a high quality polish or re-waxed in order to clean up any marks created during removal. As always, test the method in an inconspicuous place before applying to a broader area.

How To Remove Sap From Wood (including decks and wooden patio furniture)

Try applying non-diluted Murphy's Oil Soap with a mop (large area) or pour directly onto the affected surface. Allow the soap to sit for 15 minutes before scrubbing it clean with a soft brush. Rinse and allow to dry. Supposedly, this method works best on sealed wood.

How To Remove Sap From Clothes (including fleece, polyester, and cotton)

Apply a liberal amount of hand sanitizer to the area, and gently work it into the fabric. For really stubborn spots, brush the area with a soft bristled toothbrush. Rinse and dry.

How To Remove Sap From Leather

Rub creamy peanut butter into the leather. The oil conditions the leather while softening the tree sap. Simply rinse with warm soapy water and allow to dry.

How To Remove Sap From Skin

Oil-based Agents: Alcohol Agents*: *Caution: these can cause skin irritations with some people

Apply to the skin with a soft damp cloth, then rinse with warm, soapy water.

How To Remove Sap From Hair (including pet hair and paws)

Hair is one of the hardest things to remove tree sap from, but the task can be made somewhat easier if the sap is still soft. Short of getting yourself a new haircut, try the following:

Creamy peanut better (the oilier the better). Apply it liberally to the hair and soften it using a hair dryer on the lowest setting (careful to avoid burning the skin). Let the softened peanut butter sit for a few minutes before combing it through the hair with a large-toothed comb. Shampoo and rinse with warm water. If you can't stand peanut butter, substitute mayonnaise.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Butter! Use butter.....works wonders!

September 21, 2016 Flag

Woman giving a white dog a bath

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning tree sap on a dog. When removing tree sap from your dog's fur you want to use products and methods that are safe for your pet.

August 26, 2016 Flag

Hand squeegying cleaner from a glass window by a tree

This is a guide about cleaning tree sap from glass. Removing tree sap from windows and car windshields can be a recurring job.

July 20, 2016 Flag

Old cemetery with tombstones and trees

This is a guide about removing tree sap from a tombstone. Tree sap can often be fairly easily removed from many surfaces, using a variety of products that act as solvents.

July 7, 2016 Flag

Tree sap running down the bark of a tree

This is a guide about cleaning tree sap from hair. Sticky tree sap seems like it might be impossible to clean out of your hair. It is in fact easy if you use the right products.

February 23, 2014 Flag

Tree Sap

This is a guide about cleaning tree sap from carpet. Sticky tree sap is easily tracked into the house and then left on your carpet.

September 21, 2009 Flag

I have used butter in the past, but decided to try spray cooking oil. It is less of a mess. Just spray on the paws and wipe off with a paper towel. Not only less mess but less licking :)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 26, 2005 Flag

How do you remove pine tree sap from glass?

Helen Tobey from Michigan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I tried all the suggestions for tree sap, WD40 to alcohol. Rubbing alcohol was decent, rest, not really. Then I tried well everything else under the sink. Here's 2 cleaners not mentioned that work really well. Fantastic dissolves it, only light rubbing required. Ammonia really dissolves it, keep it moist and rub lightly. A spray of Fantastic added some subs, keeping it from running off or drying too quick. 20 mins later, no trace of tree sap and no damage. :)

June 11, 2010 Flag

How do you remove evergreen tree sap stains from a granite grave stone? My parents' stone is under a pine tree, and the sap has turned part of the stone black.

By Charles from Greenville, SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Granite is a porous stone. I would contact a monument company and have them clean it and see if there's something they can seal it with.

April 26, 2014 Flag

How it got there is another story, but my cast iron skillet is covered (the entire bottom and out one side) with pine sap. The weather is not yet warm enough outside for the sun to soften it. What would be the best way to tackle this situation? Any help is appreciated.

By BigDan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Spread and gently rub dry dirt over the sap. Be sure to cover all of the sap. Let set a few minutes. Shake excess dirt off and wash in soap (I use Dawn) and water. Dry thoroughly. This also works well for sap on skin, hair etc.

June 28, 2015 Flag

How do I remove pine tree sap on the overhead screens on my lanai? The pine tree always drips sap and I can't remove the pine tree.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, Em. Sap is insidious, isn't it. Google has some good answers and here's one that won't cost a lot: http://www.gard  ve-tree-sap.htm. Going forward, however, so that you don't have to worry about sap removal on a regular basis, could you protect your screens with cheap roll ends of wallpaper or something similar? Simply remove the paper or cheap fabric periodically then replace it without having to worry about cleaning / scouring?

September 15, 2016 Flag

We have a lovely swing set in the backyard for our grandchildren. The swings and the chains that you hold to swing are covered with either tree sap or drippings from the trees above. It's black and sticky. How would you suggest we clean this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 8, 2013 Flag

At the end of April I went hiking and got what I thought were splinters from some trees that I had grabbed onto with my arm bent. So it's right in the crease of my arm, opposite my elbow. Now it's July and what I now realize is that it is tree sap not splinters oozing out slowly. It burns. What do I do? Is there a way to soak out the sap?

By Sarah W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think you should go to a doctor. Anything minor you got on your arm in April -- splinters or sap -- would be gone by now. This is nothing like I have ever heard of.

May 13, 2013 Flag

I have multiple areas with sap on a few window screens, will nail polish remover work?

By Lady Lucy from NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To remove sap with nail polish remover effectively you'd want to use a nail polish remover with acetone because the non-acetone won't even cut through price tag adhesive in my experience. You should test a very small area of the screen to see if the nail polish remover will remove the sap without melting the synthetic material the mesh is woven from-acetone can 'melt' plastics.

I think you'd have safer and better results using one of the automotive sap removing products. The car care products for removing sap from car finishes, windscreens, and headlamps (all car parts or finishes being made with synthetic polymers nowadays) will remove the sap easily without 'melting' your screen mesh.

September 15, 2013 Flag

How do you remove pine tree sap from vinyl flooring?

By Brenda B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Rubbing alcohol should do the trick. Just let it set on the sap for a few minutes and then try to scrub off. If it all doesn't come off try again. A plastic scraper or an old credit card may help as well.

December 28, 2015 Flag

How do you get tree sap out of the interior of your vehicle roof lining (ceiling) which is fabric?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 19, 2013 Flag

I have tree sap (from the yellow sticky buds off trees) that fall onto my outdoor vinyl I have on my deck. I cannot remove the yellow stickiness. I tried Goof Off, but that also took the colour out of my vinyl too. Please if anyone has a solution I would very much appreciate your response.

By Brenda B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you tried wd-40?

August 16, 2010 Flag

How do I remove tree sap from a nylon tent without damaging the fabric?

By Amanda from Livonia, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used to park beneath pine trees that left my car covered in sap. The only thing I found to remove the sap was plain old rubbing alcohol on a rag. I would try it on your tent.

May 3, 2015 Flag

I have a nasty tree that drops sap all the time. It gets on my cloth furniture, my glass table, and the tile on my patio. I don't know how to get it up. Some of it is dried, but ugly. Suggestions?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 21, 2015 Flag

A turkey feather fan was stored in a red cedar (Juniperus virgiana) feather box for several months. When it was taken out there was tree resin, sap, on the tips of the feathers. What is the best way to remove the resin?

By G. C. G. from Houston, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 9, 2015 Flag

How do I remove lime tree sap from a caravan Perspex skylight window?

By Mike R

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 16, 2015 Flag

I have a brand new silk bedspread and my dog jumped on it with pine pitch on his feet. How do I remove it without spoiling the fabric?

By Diane L from Ormond Beach, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 25, 2015 Flag

The sap from the little poplar buds has been tracked inside onto my bathroom floor. It is not sticky anymore and I have tried everything I can think of to remove the yellow stains; household cleaners, nail polish remover, methylated spirits, etc. but I fear they have permanently stained the light colored vinyl. It looks as though a dog has crapped all over the floor, and I haven't cleaned it. Has anyone got any ideas?

By Cathy O'C

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 22, 2014 Flag

How to get tree sap out of leather goods?

By Barbara

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 3, 2014 Flag

How can I remove a large amount of sap from my RV awning? It is approximately 8' X 8".

By Steve

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJune 23, 2012
Woman giving a white dog a bath
Cleaning Tree Sap on a Dog
Old cemetery with tombstones and trees
Removing Tree Sap from a Tombstone
Tree Sap
Cleaning Tree Sap from Carpet
Cleaning Tree Sap From Glass
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 1:32:24 AM on 10.0.2.237 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.