Removing Unerasable Markers from a Dry Erase Board

I accidentally used a marker on my dry erase board, and am not able to erase it with the dry erase spray. It is faded but still visible to the eye, and I would hate to have to throw the huge board away. Any ideas on how to get this off? It would be very appreciated.

Sherry from Staten Island, NY

Answers:

Removing Marker from White Board

My secret cleaner is naphtha, sold as lighter fluid. Extremely flammable of course. It's oily, use a gentle cleaner afterward. Did the trick for my white board. (10/18/2008)

By Jill in Maryland

I know I accidentally did the same thing at work, and all we had at the time was Windex and Goo Gone. Not sure which one I used or possibly even both. It took some scrubbing, but I got it off. (10/18/2008)

By kghsave

toothpaste

My high school teacher wrote with permanent ink by accident on the white board. We were in a visiting classroom. She took toothpaste and the grit in it scrubbed the letters off. (10/19/2008)

By Lori

I have used Goo Gone to successfully remove permanent marker. (10/20/2008)

By kladybug

For general care I use baby wipes or vinegar. When I have a harder problem I use vinegar and the magic eraser. Magic eraser if great stuff. I use it after I labeled my food container with permanent ink. (10/20/2008)

By SunshineRose

I have used WD40 to successfully remove permanent marker. (10/20/2008)

By BABBIE

At our school we had a special spray that was used to clean the board, and that took it off. I expect that this would be available at Staples or some place like that. I don't remember the name of the product. (10/20/2008)

By louel53

I have used waterless hand cleaner to easily and successfuly remove permanent marker from 2 different white boards. Toothpast and SOS may remove the marker, but they will certainly rough up the white board and make it harder to get clean in the future. (10/20/2008)

By teachpad

This is going to sound rather crazy but it works. A teacher at school had a student to write in permanent marker on his dry erase board. He simply picked up a DRY ERASE MARKER and wrote over line over line all that had been written on the board. That's dry erase over permanent. Then he erased it and ALL was gone. It takes off everything and you have a clean board. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. I just went and tried it on my board to make sure I was remembering correctly. It works! (10/21/2008)

By Connie H.

WD40 worked for me. Just spray the board then wipe with a clean, dry, soft cloth. (10/21/2008)

By granny94

I have tried a lot of things to completely clean my dry erase board, but the thing that works best for me is lacquer thinner. The product can be purchased at a paint or hardware store. Simply apply a small amount of the lacquer thinner to a soft cloth an wipe the board. Turn the cloth as it becomes dirty an apply additional lacquer thinner as needed. When the board is clean applying a coat of liquid car wax might help in maintaining your board. (10/31/2008)

By Bill at Batesville, AR

Try coloring over the unerasable marks with an erasable marker, an old one that barely writes will work. Color over all the marks, then erase. It has worked for me with sharpie marks. (11/01/2008)

By JoAnn

I couldn't believe how easy it was to get the marker off by simply going over it with the dry erase marker. Nice trick. Thanks for the info. (01/08/2009)

By NewNotes Recording

I have used De-Solve It to remove sharpie from whiteboards and plastic with great success. you need to let it work for a few minutes before wiping it off with a paper towel (I use windex to cut the oily remover), good results! (04/12/2010)

By mmhanson

I took it off with baking soda and water mixture. (05/08/2010)

By Goldie2

A whiteboard with scribbles all over it.
Cleaning Permanent Marker Off a Dry Erase Board
Dry Erase Markers
Removing Dry Erase Marker from a Couch
Dry Erase Markers
Reviving Dry Erase Markers
Dry Erase Board
Reconditioning a Dry Erase Board
A dry erase board and markers.
Cleaning a Dry Erase Board
🎉
🎄