Removing Urine Odor from a Bathroom

Urine odor can become very pervasive in a bathroom. This is a guide about removing urine odor from a bathroom.

September 3, 2007 Flag

What removes urine odor from an elementary school bathroom? I am a custodian, and little boys seem to "miss" quite often. The products provided by the school aren't working very well. There always seems to be an underlying urine odor. I haven't been at this job very long, so any help would really be appreciated!

Barb from Kellogg, IA

Maybe something like this can be done to improve their aim:

ODOR BAN comes in a gallon jug and can be diluted to use in a spray bottle, or in a mop bucket. This is what is used in nursing homes to keep the odor to a minimum. You can purchase this at Walmart.

I read this post looking for advice because I'm having this problem with my "boys" (hubby & teenage son), as well as any visiting friends of my son. I can't wait to try the vinegar immediately (it's cheap & have this on hand).

P.S. Maryeileen: I was curious enough to click on the link & sure enjoyed a good laugh! Great idea! (Reminds me of putting a Cheerio in the commode water for aiming when potty training that now 13 year old son - maybe I need to do that again!) Leah

I too work as a custodian for the school district, what I have used is pure lemon juice....poured it around the base of the toilet and surrounding walls, let it set for 30 minutes then clean bathroom as usual...also put the juice in a spray bottle, used it around and in the urinals as well.

September 30, 2012 Flag

My father has prostate cancer so I have temporarily moved in with him. I found severe amounts of urine all over his bathroom, including the toilet, floor, walls, and cabinets under the sink. Unfortunately, it's been there for a while so cleaning it will take a lot of effort and some seriously strong cleaning products! I have no clue what to get, or even where to start so any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

By Tiffany

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I suggest purchasing a hand held steam cleaner. The minimim watts should not be less than 1,000. I have a Scunci brand but there are many on the market. The pressurized steam will clean everything, no other cleaning agent is needed. I bet you could rent one, you will be so happy with the results, they are fast & esay to use you will wonder how you managed to live with out one. BTW, I have no vested intereset in promoting diffrent brands.

You didn't say whether he has wood floors or not but I remove it with vinigar (white) with baking soda. I scatter the baking soda on floor and pour the vinigar mixture onto it, swish it around with mop and clean up with dish soap & hot water. You can use bleach but it leave a sickning smell to me and the vinigar takes care of that. This also works for dogs peeing on floor.

December 9, 2010 Flag

I deep clean my bathroom every other day, and it still smells like urine. I am the lone female in a home of boys. They are not messy if you catch my drift, but the smell is always there. What can I do?

By frusturated

Oh my! I have the same problem with 4 males. It is so gross.

I use Lysol concentrate. It sounds too strong but its safe for pets and kids. I use it in the cat box, a diluted solution to wipe down keyboards, phones light switches toilets door knobs etc. Any where the germs and bacteria can be spread. You can get it Walmart, Walgreens and Amazon.

I clean homes for a living and worked in nursing home as housekeeping!

Its a staple in my house!

I have inserted excerpt from the web site; ... isinfectant-cleaner-concentrate.html

(Cut and paste into browser.)

What it kills:

Salmonella, Staphylococcus Chlamydia, Ecoli mono, Streptococcus, some fungi

Human Coronavirus, HIV-1 (AIDS Virus), Herpes Simplex Type 1, Herpes Simplex Type 2, Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV), Rubella (German Measles), Adenovirus Type 4, Vaccinia, Influenza A/Hong Kong, Hepatitis B Virus (HBV), Hepatitis C Virus (HCV)

Animal viruses:

Canine Distemper, Feline Leukemia, Pseudorabies (PRV), Avian polyomavirus, Feline Picornavirus, Rabies

It also takes care of the smell. Make up a solution, soak a rag or rags and put it around the base of the toilet, on the floor with out wringing it out too much let it set over night. It will work! As for the area under the tank between the tank and bowl where the seat connects use the rag method too.

As stated on one of the archived posts, I have found that by removing the toilet seat and cleaning underneath and around the screws, odors have been eliminated.

Perhaps the boys are not being messy on the toilet seat or floors but are spraying in the area ecm1357 mentions? In that case she is completely correct about cleaning around those areas but also teach them to spray strictly in the water because, after all, the spray can be directed. ;-)

My other thought is 'are they flushing after each and every poddy session' because if they aren't you could just be smelling the residue from the water in the toilet bowl? I hate wasting water flushing every single tinkle but if the urine smell is bad then that is what has to be done.

I implore you to not use any manufactured chemicals for cleaning! Not even for a toilet! Simple vinegar will sanitize and clean and take the odor away and your lungs and other internal body organs will thank you! I wish I had not grown up with and continued to use nasty cleaning chemicals because of serious permanent health issues caused by them.

Maybe keep a spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar and water solution handy in the bathroom for in between actual cleanings?

June 15, 2013 Flag

I have 4 cats owned for around 10 yrs. Last week I started smelling urine in my bathroom. I thought it was on the shower curtain, so I put up a new one. Then I washed every bit of tile and floor. When I woke up and went to the washroom I can still smell pee. Can you help! Thank You

By Stella

Hate to say this, but over 20 years ago, we bought a home that housed 4 large cats. I tried everything, had to take up carpet and pad and mop daily with strong pine cleaners and wait four more months and then put down crystalized moth balls under the pad with new carpet. I could still smell the urine for about 3 more years faintly. Bad part was being pregnant part of this time. Now I know why cats are kin to pole cats.

December 9, 2010 Flag

How to remove urine smell from my bathroom?

By Elonda from Barberton, OH

Getting Rid of Urine Odor in Bathroom

Read the Archives at the bottom. (07/25/2010)

July 25, 2010 Flag

Any suggestions on eliminating the urine smell in my 1/2 bath? I think my boys have "missed" a few times. The floor is wood, I've washed it with vinegar/water, Spic n Span, plain water, etc. and nothing works.

The smell goes away for a couple of hours and then comes back. Outside of replacing the floor, any ideas? I'm getting desperate since fall is now here and we'll be closing all the windows soon. Thanks.

Chris from Toledo, OH

Getting Rid Of Urine Odor In Bathroom

Have you tried some bleach and water to get rid of the odor? (09/23/2008)

Getting Rid Of Urine Odor In Bathroom

You could try Urine Gone or a similar enzyme type product made for pet urine stains and odors. Cat urine smells worse than human, and this stuff works on cat urine. After you get the smell out, you might want to consider getting a couple of those rugs which fit around the base of the toilet. If someone misses, they hit the rug, not the floor. You can wash the rug easily. I suggest 2 because you can have 1 on the floor while the other is in the wash. (09/23/2008)

By Jean

Getting Rid Of Urine Odor In Bathroom

I wouldn't recommend bleaching a wood floor. Try covering the area with baking soda and leave it for at least 24 hours then vacuum. You might have to do it more than once. Good luck! (09/23/2008)

By lah34a

Getting Rid Of Urine Odor In Bathroom

I purchase a product from Sam's Club called Odo Ban. It is great and concentrated so you can mix according to need. (09/23/2008)

By ragenia2959

Getting Rid Of Urine Odor In Bathroom

Yuck. After my nephew's visit my bathrooms smelled horrible. I have tile floors and I think that the grout held a lot of smell. I used a product called Simple Solution, which I got at a pet store, and sprayed down the entire area, including the walls! This worked really well. Also it is very helpful to take the toilet seat off and wash it thoroughly ( in a tub ). I thought the smell would never come out of the grout, but it did. You may be surprised to see how much grime is on the seat and in the screws which secure it to the bowl. By the way, if you put bleach on urine you end up with an ammonia smell, not good. (09/24/2008)

By plynn

Getting Rid of Urine Odor in Bathroom

I have a potty-training aged little boy and he "misses" quite often. I clean the floor as usual and then sprinkle baking soda around the base of the toilet and brush it as close around the base as possible and let it sit over night. In the morning when I get up, I clean it up with a wet cloth and the smell is gone. (09/24/2008)

By sicarqualls

Getting Rid of Urine Odor in Bathroom

I read on here several months ago to use peroxide. I have done that and the dog seems to stay away for awhile. I have also steamed the floor with a steam machine. (09/26/2008)

By sandy63

Getting Rid of Urine Odor in Bathroom

I discovered an awesome product. It is called sol-u-mel. It is a product from a company named Melalueca. I have gotten fingernail polish off of a winter coat with this product. I also put it in my carpet shampoo-er to kill my pet odors, blessed pooches. (09/26/2008)

By especielle

Getting Rid of Urine Odor in Bathroom

I use the recipe I got from It works so well for cat pee, I'm sure it'd work just as well for little boys' pee, as well.

My son seems to have trouble hitting the target. I put a ping-pong ball in the loo and they aim for the ball and try to sink it. Of course it doesn't sink so it's brilliant. No more misses (make sure it doesn't have a hole tho).

By Sarah

Getting Rid of Urine Odor in Bathroom

I'm not so sure bleach will work. I have poured bleach around the toilet, let it set, then do a thorough cleaning and the next day or so the smell is back. (11/04/2008)

Getting Rid of Urine Odor in Bathroom

I use bleach and water. Clorox Clean Up works well. It may take a few dousings to totally eliminate the smell. It also gets pet odors out of rugs, but you need to thoroughly wash out your steam cleaner afterwards. I used a half a cup of bleach to my steam cleaner along with the carpet cleaner and water. (01/14/2009)

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomJanuary 7, 2013
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
A cat sitting on a couch.
Removing Cat Urine Odor from a Couch