Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Urine Odor from a Bathroom

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Cleaning Toilet

Urine odor can become very pervasive in a bathroom. This is a guide about removing urine odor from a bathroom.

Here are questions related to Removing Urine Odor from a Bathroom.

Question: Odor from Cat Pee or Marking in My Bathroom

I have 4 cats owned for around 10 yrs. Last week I started smelling urine in my bathroom. I thought it was on the shower curtain, so I put up a new one. Then I washed every bit of tile and floor. When I woke up and went to the washroom I can still smell pee. Can you help! Thank You

By Stella

Most Recent Answer

By Carol [4]06/16/2013

Hate to say this, but over 20 years ago, we bought a home that housed 4 large cats. I tried everything, had to take up carpet and pad and mop daily with strong pine cleaners and wait four more months and then put down crystalized moth balls under the pad with new carpet. I could still smell the urine for about 3 more years faintly. Bad part was being pregnant part of this time. Now I know why cats are kin to pole cats.

Question: Cleaning Urine Stains and Odor in Bathroom

My father has prostate cancer so I have temporarily moved in with him. I found severe amounts of urine all over his bathroom, including the toilet, floor, walls, and cabinets under the sink. Unfortunately, it's been there for a while so cleaning it will take a lot of effort and some seriously strong cleaning products! I have no clue what to get, or even where to start so any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

By Tiffany

Most Recent Answer

By gbk [45]10/10/2012

You didn't say whether he has wood floors or not but I remove it with vinigar (white) with baking soda. I scatter the baking soda on floor and pour the vinigar mixture onto it, swish it around with mop and clean up with dish soap & hot water. You can use bleach but it leave a sickning smell to me and the vinigar takes care of that. This also works for dogs peeing on floor.

Question: Getting Rid of Urine Odor in Bathroom

I deep clean my bathroom every other day, and it still smells like urine. I am the lone female in a home of boys. They are not messy if you catch my drift, but the smell is always there. What can I do?

By frusturated

Most Recent Answer

12/14/2010

Perhaps the boys are not being messy on the toilet seat or floors but are spraying in the area ecm1357 mentions? In that case she is completely correct about cleaning around those areas but also teach them to spray strictly in the water because, after all, the spray can be directed. ;-)

My other thought is 'are they flushing after each and every poddy session' because if they aren't you could just be smelling the residue from the water in the toilet bowl? I hate wasting water flushing every single tinkle but if the urine smell is bad then that is what has to be done.

I implore you to not use any manufactured chemicals for cleaning! Not even for a toilet! Simple vinegar will sanitize and clean and take the odor away and your lungs and other internal body organs will thank you! I wish I had not grown up with and continued to use nasty cleaning chemicals because of serious permanent health issues caused by them.

Maybe keep a spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar and water solution handy in the bathroom for in between actual cleanings?

Question: Urine Odor in Elementary School Bathroom

What removes urine odor from an elementary school bathroom? I am a custodian, and little boys seem to "miss" quite often. The products provided by the school aren't working very well. There always seems to be an underlying urine odor. I haven't been at this job very long, so any help would really be appreciated!

Barb from Kellogg, IA

Most Recent Answer

By mrslonebass05/26/2013

I too work as a custodian for the school district, what I have used is pure lemon juice....poured it around the base of the toilet and surrounding walls, let it set for 30 minutes then clean bathroom as usual...also put the juice in a spray bottle, used it around and in the urinals as well.

Solutions: Removing Urine Odor from a Bathroom

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Getting Rid of Urine Odor in Bathroom

Any suggestions on eliminating the urine smell in my 1/2 bath? I think my boys have "missed" a few times. The floor is wood, I've washed it with vinegar/water, Spic n Span, plain water, etc. and nothing works.

The smell goes away for a couple of hours and then comes back. Outside of replacing the floor, any ideas? I'm getting desperate since fall is now here and we'll be closing all the windows soon. Thanks.

Chris from Toledo, OH

RE: Getting Rid Of Urine Odor In Bathroom

Have you tried some bleach and water to get rid of the odor? (09/23/2008)

By MCW

You could try Urine Gone or a similar enzyme type product made for pet urine stains and odors. Cat urine smells worse than human, and this stuff works on cat urine. After you get the smell out, you might want to consider getting a couple of those rugs which fit around the base of the toilet. If someone misses, they hit the rug, not the floor. You can wash the rug easily. I suggest 2 because you can have 1 on the floor while the other is in the wash. (09/23/2008)

By Jean

I wouldn't recommend bleaching a wood floor. Try covering the area with baking soda and leave it for at least 24 hours then vacuum. You might have to do it more than once. Good luck! (09/23/2008)

By lah34a

I purchase a product from Sam's Club called Odo Ban. It is great and concentrated so you can mix according to need. (09/23/2008)

By ragenia2959

Yuck. After my nephew's visit my bathrooms smelled horrible. I have tile floors and I think that the grout held a lot of smell. I used a product called Simple Solution, which I got at a pet store, and sprayed down the entire area, including the walls! This worked really well. Also it is very helpful to take the toilet seat off and wash it thoroughly ( in a tub ). I thought the smell would never come out of the grout, but it did. You may be surprised to see how much grime is on the seat and in the screws which secure it to the bowl. By the way, if you put bleach on urine you end up with an ammonia smell, not good. (09/24/2008)

By plynn

RE: Getting Rid of Urine Odor in Bathroom

I have a potty-training aged little boy and he "misses" quite often. I clean the floor as usual and then sprinkle baking soda around the base of the toilet and brush it as close around the base as possible and let it sit over night. In the morning when I get up, I clean it up with a wet cloth and the smell is gone. (09/24/2008)

By sicarqualls

I read on here several months ago to use peroxide. I have done that and the dog seems to stay away for awhile. I have also steamed the floor with a steam machine. (09/26/2008)

By sandy63

I discovered an awesome product. It is called sol-u-mel. It is a product from a company named Melalueca. I have gotten fingernail polish off of a winter coat with this product. I also put it in my carpet shampoo-er to kill my pet odors, blessed pooches. (09/26/2008)

By especielle

I use the recipe I got from caturineoff.com. It works so well for cat pee, I'm sure it'd work just as well for little boys' pee, as well.

My son seems to have trouble hitting the target. I put a ping-pong ball in the loo and they aim for the ball and try to sink it. Of course it doesn't sink so it's brilliant. No more misses (make sure it doesn't have a hole tho). (09/28/2008)

By Sarah

I'm not so sure bleach will work. I have poured bleach around the toilet, let it set, then do a thorough cleaning and the next day or so the smell is back. (11/04/2008)

By

I use bleach and water. Clorox Clean Up works well. It may take a few dousings to totally eliminate the smell. It also gets pet odors out of rugs, but you need to thoroughly wash out your steam cleaner afterwards. I used a half a cup of bleach to my steam cleaner along with the carpet cleaner and water. (01/14/2009)

How to remove urine smell from my bathroom?

By Elonda from Barberton, OH

Read the Archives at the bottom. (07/25/2010)

By MCW