Removing Vaseline Stains

Vaseline is a petroleum based ointment, consequently, you need to treat it as an oil based stain when trying to remove it from fabrics, carpet, furniture, or other items. This is a guide about removing Vaseline stains.

August 3, 2007 Flag

How do I get Vaseline stains out of fabric furniture? The stains are about a week old and I've tried dish soap, rubbing alcohol, steam cleaning and Shout. Nothing works. Any ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try buying some deep clarifying shampoo from a salon. It is made to remove residues from products used in hair but it got vaseline out of my daughters shirt. Vaseline is a patroleum product and grease actually gets out grease. You could spray WD40 on the stains to get them wet and loosen it up and then wash with a strong grease cutting dish detergent. Hope it works out for you.

The previous person is correct. Vaseline is a petroleum based product, and so is not "greasy" such as a cooking oil stain. I wonder if hand cleaner such as mechanics use to clean off car grease would work? I have never had to remove Vaseline from cloth or furniture, but I know it does not dissolve in water or with soap or with detergent, so most products won't touch it. It does dissolve somewhat in oil, but that is no help in this situation really. WD40 is also worth a try. Good Luck.

Try rubbing in baby powder or talcum powder. Brush out and repeat until gone. I once got tar out of brand new carpet doing this.

You might want to use a brown paper bag and an iron. Put the paper bag over the stain and iron over the stain. The paper should soak the vaseline out. Just be careful not to put hot iron on the fabric without the paper. It could burn a hole in your fabric.

We used this on our church altar where candle wax had dripped all over the carpet. It worked!!

After reading these replies, I was wondering if you had tried SPOT SHOT CARPET STAIN REMOVER? I use it on nearly every stain I find and have found that it works wonderfully. Directions are included on the spray bottle. Please note that I haven't found any discoloration yet in my usage of it....but, do test any given area just to be sure. I think you will be happy with this product.

Rub toothpaste on it.

October 8, 2008 Flag

How do you get a Vaseline (regular) stain out of clothing? I would like to know what pre-treatment is necessary before washing.

Wendy from Georgia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Dawn dishwashing liquid works well. I've also had good luck with Shout removing most grease type stains. If it doesn't come out the first time, just repeat as above.

I have a gray hoddie that got a vaseline stain at school. I was sitting and I felt something in the desk it was vaseline. So I bought some dawn and it worked.

I have never actually tried this for Vaseline, but I have gotten many very stubborn stains, including lipstick, grass stains, and black grease from a car by wetting the stain with cold water and rubbing it down really good with a bar of Ivory soap....let it sit for a long while before washing as usual. If it is a really bad stain, it might take more than one treatment. I like this much better than spray and wash. Works great on baby formula stains too.

August 31, 2011 Flag

How do I get Vaseline off a satin pillow?

By Ed

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Rub dish soap into the stain, then wash it in the washing machine on the gentle/delicate cycle.

Use Dawn, Lestoil or some other grease cutter.

May 30, 2011 Flag

How can I get a streak of Vaseline off of a velour type of fabric?

By Mary from MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try a degreaser. I know that Dollar General makes a wonderful Degreaser called "Mean Green" it is safe on clothing and upholstery and even will remove tobacco from walls. :-)

August 13, 2010 Flag

A friend of mine wanted to know if anyone knows how to get Vaseline out of carpet. She had put some on her heels and forgot and walked across the carpet. Thanks!

By Pam T from Storm Lake, IA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I can't say for sure, but I have two suggestions:

1. Try Dawn liquid dish washing soap. it cuts through grease.

2. Lestoil, a great grease cutting detergent.

Good luck!

April 12, 2014 Flag

I tried to remove a Vaseline stain by washing with Woolite, but stain still there. What do I do now? Vinegar?

By lmb

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsAugust 25, 2013
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 2:07:58 AM on 10.0.0.163 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.