Removing Wallpaper

I am decorating my bathroom and would like to know if wallpaper border is hard to remove? I live in a rental house and I guess I will have to remove it eventually. I have never put up wallpaper before. Any advice will help.

Onesummer

Answers:

Removing Wallpaper

Here's something I've done when living in rentals. Put the border up by stapling it into the wall with a regular paper stapler. When it's time to move, the holes in the wall from the removed paper are barely visible and can be easily touched up with a little spackle or paint. If the border is to be used high up on the wall -- even better! Plus you can save the border for your own home. (06/26/2007)

By Ginger

Removing Wallpaper

I saw on Trading Spaces someone used a bottle of water with Dawn dishsoap in it. I don't know the measurements, but it came off quickly and easily! (06/27/2007)

By jillian357

Removing Wallpaper

I used Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleansers and it worked great, tried the generic/store brand, did not do as well. Mona from Alabama (06/28/2007)

By monalisa

Removing Wallpaper

I have read a number of helpful hints books and newsletters on this topic and all of them recommend using half water, half vinegar. You can put some on a sponge, hold it on the wallpaper spot or you can put cloths down on the floor and spray the wall (in larger areas) with that mixture. Let it sit for a few minutes and then start peeling the wallpaper off. When we did it in our home years ago, we rented a steamer to get it off, but I've heard that this works just as well. (06/28/2007)

By Julia in Richmond VA

Removing Wallpaper

I used a spray bottle of water. I'd pull until I hit a sticky spot, saturated it with water, and waited a few minutes (5-10). I'd then come back and it peeled off without a hitch! (06/29/2007)

By Kelly

Removing Wallpaper

Buy DIF at any local store and score the area to be removed. Then spray on the DIF and wait 15-20 minutes. Then you just scrape the paper off. (10/30/2007)

By Bobbi

Removing Wallpaper

I peeled the top layer of the wallpaper off first and then soaked the underlayer of the wallpaper with water, wiping it on with a washcloth, and it worked great. The underlayer will peel off or can be easily scraped off with a putty knife. (10/04/2008)

By Kelly

Removing Wallpaper

I discovered that an easy way to remove the vinyl wallpaper on a painted wall is to peel off what you can and then spray the paper that's left stuck to the wall with soapy water in a spray bottle. Let it sit for a minute and it peels right off. (10/24/2008)

By Holly