Removing Wallpaper

I am decorating my bathroom and would like to know if wallpaper border is hard to remove? I live in a rental house and I guess I will have to remove it eventually. I have never put up wallpaper before. Any advice will help.

Onesummer

Answers:

Removing Wallpaper

Here's something I've done when living in rentals. Put the border up by stapling it into the wall with a regular paper stapler. When it's time to move, the holes in the wall from the removed paper are barely visible and can be easily touched up with a little spackle or paint. If the border is to be used high up on the wall -- even better! Plus you can save the border for your own home. (06/26/2007)

By Ginger

Removing Wallpaper

I saw on Trading Spaces someone used a bottle of water with Dawn dishsoap in it. I don't know the measurements, but it came off quickly and easily! (06/27/2007)

By jillian357

Removing Wallpaper

I used Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleansers and it worked great, tried the generic/store brand, did not do as well. Mona from Alabama (06/28/2007)

By monalisa

Removing Wallpaper

I have read a number of helpful hints books and newsletters on this topic and all of them recommend using half water, half vinegar. You can put some on a sponge, hold it on the wallpaper spot or you can put cloths down on the floor and spray the wall (in larger areas) with that mixture. Let it sit for a few minutes and then start peeling the wallpaper off. When we did it in our home years ago, we rented a steamer to get it off, but I've heard that this works just as well. (06/28/2007)

By Julia in Richmond VA

Removing Wallpaper

I used a spray bottle of water. I'd pull until I hit a sticky spot, saturated it with water, and waited a few minutes (5-10). I'd then come back and it peeled off without a hitch! (06/29/2007)

By Kelly

Removing Wallpaper

Buy DIF at any local store and score the area to be removed. Then spray on the DIF and wait 15-20 minutes. Then you just scrape the paper off. (10/30/2007)

By Bobbi

Removing Wallpaper

I peeled the top layer of the wallpaper off first and then soaked the underlayer of the wallpaper with water, wiping it on with a washcloth, and it worked great. The underlayer will peel off or can be easily scraped off with a putty knife. (10/04/2008)

By Kelly

Removing Wallpaper

I discovered that an easy way to remove the vinyl wallpaper on a painted wall is to peel off what you can and then spray the paper that's left stuck to the wall with soapy water in a spray bottle. Let it sit for a minute and it peels right off. (10/24/2008)

By Holly

Man Removing Wallpaper
Removing Wallpaper
Removing wallpaper with a scraper.
Repairing Drywall After Wallpaper Removal
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
🎉
🎄