Removing Wallpaper Glue

There's a solution that I've seen sprayed on the glue after the wallpaper has been ripped off, but I can't remember what it was. It was not something bought, but simple liquids found in most homes.

By Retta from Miami, FL

Answers:

Removing Wallpaper Glue

I have the same project partially done in a room with plaster walls. The paper is off completely, but I need to clean the walls before I prime and paint again. After reading all the posts below, it seems to me that the objective should be to rehydrate the remaining glue, whether the paper is on the wall still or not. Dawn is notorious for cutting through things that contain oils or greases (which adhesives tend to). Vinegar is a good second option, may also try just a touch of ammonia in water as a test.

Am also wondering if maybe making a thin paste of whatever takes the glue off so that it doesn't run down the wall and stays where you put it. I have a ceiling border to deal with in another room; cornstarch, maybe? I am hesitant to try the fabric softener, as it tends to coat fabrics, so why wouldn't it coat the wall, which in turn might interfere with getting paint to adhere later? I don't know, just thinking out loud. (09/03/2010)

By ladybanksia99

Removing Wallpaper Glue
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
Wallpaper Glue
Removing Painted Wallpaper Glue
🎉
🎄