Removing Water Marks from Wood Furniture

Category Furniture
Water Mark on Wood
Whether someone forgot to use a coaster or a plant got over watered, water marks on wood furniture can happen very easily. Cleaning them off is a chore, but it can be done. This is a guide about removing water marks from wood furniture.

I just removed some water marks from my sister-in-law's table using Mr. Clean Erasers. I was doubtful but tried it and presto, it worked! We need to polish it yet, but it looks great.

I am surprised to say that the Mr. Clean Magic eraser worked. My kitchen table has had significant water marks and I have tried everything. Was ready to sand, but this seems to be doing the trick. I have to go over it at least one more time, but it is very promising. Thanks

I have a Cherrywood finish table and have tried numerous tips ( olive oil & vinegar, mayonnaise, salt & olive oil) nothing worked on my water stained, heat stains, and marks from my very used table. I saw this tip and said I'll give it a try. I am amazed! My table looks brand new thanks to this tip and Magig eraser! Thank you!

Anonymous

I have a Cherrywood finish table and have tried numerous tips (olive oil & vinegar, mayonnaise, salt & olive oil) nothing worked on my water stained, heat stains, and marks from my very used table. I saw this tip and said I'll give it a try. I am amazed! My table looks brand new thanks to this tip and Magic Eraser! Thank you!

Did you wet the eraser, because I tried wet and dry and I can't get the dark water mark out of my light oaK table!

This is a guide about removing drink rings from wood furniture. When cups are set on wood furniture without a coaster and a ring can be left behind creating an unsightly blemish on the surface of the wood.

White rings left by drinks on a wood table.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Spills or overflowing potted plants can result in water marks on your furniture. This is a guide about removing a water stain on an oak table.

Oak Table

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do I remove a dark water stain on dark wood? Toothpaste took off the finish surrounding spot. I am trying to do this quickly and quietly as I'm staying with friends. This is her table I have damaged. Help!

From Reader's Digest: To remove white rings left by wet glasses on wood furniture, mix equal parts vinegar and olive oil and apply it with a soft cloth while moving with the wood grain. Use another clean, soft cloth to shine it up. To get white water rings off leather furniture, dab them with a sponge soaked in full-strength white vinegar.

You can also try mayonnaise.

Thanks but this is a dark spot on dark wood.

Try putting a paper towel over it and iron over all on a low heat. This will remove the moisture and the stain can be rubbed with a walnut.

I believe the nut method might work here, too. Here is a tip I posted. It worked on my wood flooring:

http://www.thri  r-Scratches.html

Thank you. I'm buying walnuts today. I've made the area around it worse worse by using toothpaste. Hopefully, all shall be well this week! My thanks to everyone for your comments.

How do I get rid of a white water mark on furniture?

By soochatty from Middletown, DE

If I'm not mistaken you can crack a walnut and rub it on the spot. The oil in the nut helps to remove the mark!

Formby's product line of furniture refinishing products sells a product called,"White Ring Remover". That is sold in any paint department that carries the Formby's product line.

You can also use some Vaseline Petroleum Jelly and ashes from a cigarette or wood ashes from a fireplace. The ashes are a very,very fine abraisive and the petroleum is a wood conditioner. Put some over the ring, using your finger rub well into the ring. Let set about fifteen mins. then wipe off.

Either one will take the ring out .

Depends on what the fabric type is on your furniture.

Try a dab of Mayo, rub in with a soft cloth and buff with a dry cloth. It did a great job on my old sewing machine. GG Vi

Anonymous

This is what I just did...

Clean dry polishing cloth folded once laid over water mark, steam iron on full heat laid onto polishing cloth allowing steam to penetrate only for a couple of seconds at a time, after only a few passes the heat and steam make the water mark disappear completely, I was amazed at how effective it was I even took before and after pictures to show other people!

Anonymous

How do i remove water marks from on my high gloss table

How do I remove white water marks from cherry furniture?

By Beverly from NY

Answer Was this helpful? 5

The Magic Eraser Worked! I sprayed Pledge on my 150 year old cherished handed-down oak secretary and walked away :( Huge horrific water marks occurred, went on this website went through recommendations, decided to try Magic Eraser hesitantly, since it says on label not recommended for wood, and it worked completely! What a lifesaver. Highly recommended!

I tried the mayo, and it lightened up the water marks, but they were still there. Then tried toothpaste and that helped too. I was very nervous to try the steam iron, I reluctantly tried and the marks were gone in seconds! A miracle. I'm sooo happy.

A bit of damp laundry overnight left a horrid white mark on our gorgeous timber table, followed by a thorough blaming and sulking by dear husband. An iron over a towel fixed it in a minute. Great website, thanks!

I, too, have a cherry table that turned white as a result of a damp felt undercover that was placed on the table during a party. The great news is that with a steam iron and a white towel the moisture markings were gone!

I was very afraid to try the iron and cloth method on my dining room table but after trying everything else I decided to try it. After 5 minutes of moving the iron around the water mark was gone. Hope everyone else has the same luck as me.

How do I get an old water spot off a solid oak kitchen table (light wood)?

By Onesummer

You might want to view 'Restor-a-finish.... should be at Home Depot..

http://www.mink  monstration.html

I just had the same problem on my teak dining table. I put olive oil on a paper towel and rubbed it in then left the towel on the spot for quite a while. It disappeared!

RE: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

I have found the best way to get rid of the white rings from heat or moisture on furniture, I have tried with no luck using Mayonnaise, cigarette ashes, toothpaste, hot iron and towels and what I have found that works is the Mr. Clean Magic eraser dampen the eraser rub gently with the grain of the wood and then polishing as usual, I happen to like Armor All as a furniture polish, if it's not a bad white mark the magic eraser will removed it completely, if it solid white you may have to do it several times It may leave a bit of a ghost but that's still better than having a big white mark.

This was not a bad 1, you can see on the right it's gone. Now that I know how to fix them nobody's making them.

I had a water mark on my dining table. I thought it would be no big deal to sand the whole finish off and stain and presto it would be beautiful, but oh was I wrong. I sanded and stained the spot and it turned much darker than the rest of the table. Then I sanded and stained again, still not fixing the problem. Then I tried bleach and sanding which then made the spot really light. I tried to make the spot bigger in hopes to blend it better and then stained again. And it is still turned much darker than the rest of the table. What is the best way to repair my table?

By Emily T

You certainly get an A for effort. If the table is worth it, find someone experienced in wood refinishing and have the whole top redone. Or you could redo the entire top yourself. Patching a finish on wood is difficult to impossible. If the table is a veneer, be careful not to sand so much you break thru the veneer. Good luck!

How can I remove watermarks from the polished surface of a table?

By Penny W

This sounds ridiculous but try mayo. Just rub mayo on the mark and then rub in till it's all gone. It worked for me on my cedar chest.

I have a light oak table with black water marks after a flower arrangement was placed on the table which sat there for a couple of weeks last June 2012. Also someone spilled wine or port on my table. Please help.

By Lorraine

I wish I had an answer, but I too, need help with this kind of damage.

How do I remove water stains from light colored wood?

By D from Home

I have never tried this myself but I am passing along a hint I saw from the Farmer's Almanac newsletter. It says to use mayonnaise to remove water stains from wood. Perhaps you could try a small area where it doesnt show so much?

How do I remove a water stain from my wooden dining room table?

By Linda D.

Try rubbing it with the cut edge of a walnut.

How do you remove water spots on a wood table?

By Sonny H. from Galveston, TX

Heat a dry iron, place 2 layers of a white t-shirt on top of the stain, press a few seconds, then peek under the t-shirt. Keep doing that until the stain is gone.

My grandson was wet sanding his motercycle in the garage. I had a TV cabinet stored there and he splashed sanding water on it and left white marks. How do I get them off?

By Deanna S.

I split a glass of water on a pine dresser and would like some advice as to how to remove it.

By Eileen

I have an small antique table that my mother, for years, used to keep her prized African violets on. A lot of times she would over water and the excess would lay underneath the dish that they sat on. This destroyed the finish and penetrated the wood. I had no choice, but to strip the old finish off, but now there is a large darker ring that I'm afraid I can't get rid of. Any suggestions?

By Jack

What is the iron cloth method to remove white water stains from a mahogany coffee table?

By Tricia H

I stripped the varnish and stain from the wood and I am left with a large (12 inch) water ring. How can I get the whole top to mimic the stain?

By KRC from Sheboygan, WI

How do you remove water spots from a cherry wood dining room table?

By Linda from North Providence, RI

Answers:

I refinished my grandmother's cherry wood sewing machine cabinet and someone placed a cup of liquid on the top months later. I had cherry wood stain on hand and touched it up dipping a paper towel and rubbing over the whole area; no more mark and it blended well. (10/24/2010)

By Lorelei

Just put Vaseline on the spot and let it sit. (10/30/2010)

By Mimi007

Remove white water rings from wood with a solution of white distilled vinegar and vegetable oil. Rub with the grain.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Use mayonnaise to remove water marks on wood from glasses. This works like a miracle. Cover water mark with mayonnaise and leave on for a couple hours. No more water mark.

Source: my mother-in-law

By dlginlove from Saint Peters, MO

How do I remove a recent water stain from my antique oak counter?

By Sherry from Gower, MO

Answers:

Use a combination of commercial furniture polish and olive oil. Cover the water mark with olive oil and then spray the furniture polish on this. Take a soft cloth and rub in a circular motion, adding more furniture polish as it absorbs into the wood and your polishing cloth.

If the water stain has been there a while, use a little non-gel toothpaste. Rub it in in a similar manner as above. (04/27/2010)

By randyw36

An old trick my sister used to do: a bit of ashes from a cigarette ash tray and, get this, a bit of spit.

She swore by it. She'd rub the two together with an old rag into the spot and the white spot would disappear.

(05/02/2010)

By cecilialovesbutterflys

I just tried this myself on a 3 day-old water mark and it worked. Put some toothpaste (not the gel type) on a wet hand towel and rub the stain in a circular motion, then wipe out the dry section of the towel and you're done! (05/04/2010)

By airam10

How do I remove circular water marks from a pine dresser unit? They were made by cups, glasses, etc.

By Dave from Birmingham, England

Answers:

Put a heavy coat of mayonnaise on the entire water mark. Let it sit overnight. If this doesn't work, try finding lemon oil cream furniture polish. Follow the same procedure with this as the mayo. Good luck. (02/11/2010)

By beckhark

Hi. I have read that tobacco ash rubbed into the mark works really well. Good luck. (02/12/2010)

By irisheyes

I know how to prevent them. Put the fear of God in anyone in your household who puts dishes on wood. I laid down the law from the time my kids were small then had to contend with their friends and my visitors. My grandfather made my furniture from Tennessee cherry and I refuse to let someone who was raised with formica topped tables ruin it. My family jokes about the sacredness of the "Jackson Press" but they know how to treat good wood. I am saving these tips though in case some unsuspecting visitor violates my rules. (02/13/2010)

By Ann Parker

I used mayonnaise on an old water mark. Waste of time and good mayonnaise! The best thing without a doubt is "magic eraser." Buy a bunch! They work on anything! My table looks 10 times better than before! Use it on everything, will work miracles on anything. I am not a shill for advertising company. I used it on rust marks on bath tub - gone! Used it on ink marks on walls - gone! Trust me, it is a modern miracle! (03/25/2010)

By jaybar

How do you use the wax paper, cotton cloth, and iron to remove water marks from wood?

How do I remove water marks from wood?

I have water marks on wood furniture and wonder how best to remove them? Thanks.

We have two 'white' spots on our wooden kitchen table that I can't seem to get out. I have tried mayo and Old English.

How do you remove a watermark on a wooden dining room table?

Load More