Removing Water Marks from Wood Furniture

Category Furniture
Whether someone forgot to use a coaster or a plant got over watered, water marks on wood furniture can happen very easily. Cleaning them off is a chore, but it can be done. This is a guide about removing water marks from wood furniture.

I just removed some water marks from my sister-in-law's table using Mr. Clean Erasers. I was doubtful but tried it and presto, it worked! We need to polish it yet, but it looks great.

Anonymous

I have a Cherrywood finish table and have tried numerous tips (olive oil & vinegar, mayonnaise, salt & olive oil) nothing worked on my water stained, heat stains, and marks from my very used table. I saw this tip and said I'll give it a try. I am amazed! My table looks brand new thanks to this tip and Magic Eraser! Thank you!

Oak Table

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Spills or overflowing potted plants can result in water marks on your furniture. This is a guide about removing a water stain on an oak table.

White rings left by drinks on a wood table.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing drink rings from wood furniture. When cups are set on wood furniture without a coaster and a ring can be left behind creating an unsightly blemish on the surface of the wood.

How do I remove a dark water stain on dark wood? Toothpaste took off the finish surrounding spot. I am trying to do this quickly and quietly as I'm staying with friends. This is her table I have damaged. Help!

Thank you. I'm buying walnuts today. I've made the area around it worse worse by using toothpaste. Hopefully, all shall be well this week! My thanks to everyone for your comments.

How do I get rid of a white water mark on furniture?

By soochatty from Middletown, DE

Anonymous

This is what I just did...

Clean dry polishing cloth folded once laid over water mark, steam iron on full heat laid onto polishing cloth allowing steam to penetrate only for a couple of seconds at a time, after only a few passes the heat and steam make the water mark disappear completely, I was amazed at how effective it was I even took before and after pictures to show other people!

How do I remove white water marks from cherry furniture?

By Beverly from NY

Answer Was this helpful? 5

I, too, have a cherry table that turned white as a result of a damp felt undercover that was placed on the table during a party. The great news is that with a steam iron and a white towel the moisture markings were gone!

I had a water mark on my dining table. I thought it would be no big deal to sand the whole finish off and stain and presto it would be beautiful, but oh was I wrong. I sanded and stained the spot and it turned much darker than the rest of the table. Then I sanded and stained again, still not fixing the problem. Then I tried bleach and sanding which then made the spot really light. I tried to make the spot bigger in hopes to blend it better and then stained again. And it is still turned much darker than the rest of the table. What is the best way to repair my table?

By Emily T

You certainly get an A for effort. If the table is worth it, find someone experienced in wood refinishing and have the whole top redone. Or you could redo the entire top yourself. Patching a finish on wood is difficult to impossible. If the table is a veneer, be careful not to sand so much you break thru the veneer. Good luck!

How do I get an old water spot off a solid oak kitchen table (light wood)?

By Onesummer

I just had the same problem on my teak dining table. I put olive oil on a paper towel and rubbed it in then left the towel on the spot for quite a while. It disappeared!

How can I remove watermarks from the polished surface of a table?

By Penny W

This sounds ridiculous but try mayo. Just rub mayo on the mark and then rub in till it's all gone. It worked for me on my cedar chest.

I have a light oak table with black water marks after a flower arrangement was placed on the table which sat there for a couple of weeks last June 2012. Also someone spilled wine or port on my table. Please help.

By Lorraine

I wish I had an answer, but I too, need help with this kind of damage.

How do I remove water stains from light colored wood?

By D from Home

I have never tried this myself but I am passing along a hint I saw from the Farmer's Almanac newsletter. It says to use mayonnaise to remove water stains from wood. Perhaps you could try a small area where it doesnt show so much?

How do I remove a water stain from my wooden dining room table?

By Linda D.

Try rubbing it with the cut edge of a walnut.

My grandson was wet sanding his motercycle in the garage. I had a TV cabinet stored there and he splashed sanding water on it and left white marks. How do I get them off?

By Deanna S.

How do you remove water spots on a wood table?

By Sonny H. from Galveston, TX

Heat a dry iron, place 2 layers of a white t-shirt on top of the stain, press a few seconds, then peek under the t-shirt. Keep doing that until the stain is gone.

I split a glass of water on a pine dresser and would like some advice as to how to remove it.

By Eileen

I have an small antique table that my mother, for years, used to keep her prized African violets on. A lot of times she would over water and the excess would lay underneath the dish that they sat on. This destroyed the finish and penetrated the wood. I had no choice, but to strip the old finish off, but now there is a large darker ring that I'm afraid I can't get rid of. Any suggestions?

By Jack

What is the iron cloth method to remove white water stains from a mahogany coffee table?

By Tricia H

I stripped the varnish and stain from the wood and I am left with a large (12 inch) water ring. How can I get the whole top to mimic the stain?

By KRC from Sheboygan, WI

How do you remove water spots from a cherry wood dining room table?

By Linda from North Providence, RI

Answers:

I refinished my grandmother's cherry wood sewing machine cabinet and someone placed a cup of liquid on the top months later. I had cherry wood stain on hand and touched it up dipping a paper towel and rubbing over the whole area; no more mark and it blended well. (10/24/2010)

By Lorelei

Just put Vaseline on the spot and let it sit. (10/30/2010)

By Mimi007

Remove white water rings from wood with a solution of white distilled vinegar and vegetable oil. Rub with the grain.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Use mayonnaise to remove water marks on wood from glasses. This works like a miracle. Cover water mark with mayonnaise and leave on for a couple hours. No more water mark.

Source: my mother-in-law

By dlginlove from Saint Peters, MO

How do I remove a recent water stain from my antique oak counter?

By Sherry from Gower, MO

Answers:

Use a combination of commercial furniture polish and olive oil. Cover the water mark with olive oil and then spray the furniture polish on this. Take a soft cloth and rub in a circular motion, adding more furniture polish as it absorbs into the wood and your polishing cloth.

If the water stain has been there a while, use a little non-gel toothpaste. Rub it in in a similar manner as above. (04/27/2010)

By randyw36

An old trick my sister used to do: a bit of ashes from a cigarette ash tray and, get this, a bit of spit.

She swore by it. She'd rub the two together with an old rag into the spot and the white spot would disappear.

(05/02/2010)

By cecilialovesbutterflys

I just tried this myself on a 3 day-old water mark and it worked. Put some toothpaste (not the gel type) on a wet hand towel and rub the stain in a circular motion, then wipe out the dry section of the towel and you're done! (05/04/2010)

By airam10

How do I remove circular water marks from a pine dresser unit? They were made by cups, glasses, etc.

By Dave from Birmingham, England

Answers:

Put a heavy coat of mayonnaise on the entire water mark. Let it sit overnight. If this doesn't work, try finding lemon oil cream furniture polish. Follow the same procedure with this as the mayo. Good luck. (02/11/2010)

By beckhark

Hi. I have read that tobacco ash rubbed into the mark works really well. Good luck. (02/12/2010)

By irisheyes

I know how to prevent them. Put the fear of God in anyone in your household who puts dishes on wood. I laid down the law from the time my kids were small then had to contend with their friends and my visitors. My grandfather made my furniture from Tennessee cherry and I refuse to let someone who was raised with formica topped tables ruin it. My family jokes about the sacredness of the "Jackson Press" but they know how to treat good wood. I am saving these tips though in case some unsuspecting visitor violates my rules. (02/13/2010)

By Ann Parker

I used mayonnaise on an old water mark. Waste of time and good mayonnaise! The best thing without a doubt is "magic eraser." Buy a bunch! They work on anything! My table looks 10 times better than before! Use it on everything, will work miracles on anything. I am not a shill for advertising company. I used it on rust marks on bath tub - gone! Used it on ink marks on walls - gone! Trust me, it is a modern miracle! (03/25/2010)

By jaybar

How do you use the wax paper, cotton cloth, and iron to remove water marks from wood?

How do I remove water marks from wood?

I have water marks on wood furniture and wonder how best to remove them? Thanks.

We have two 'white' spots on our wooden kitchen table that I can't seem to get out. I have tried mayo and Old English.

How do you remove a watermark on a wooden dining room table?

How do I remove water marks from wooden furniture?

How do I remove water marks from wood furniture?

How do I get rid of a bad water mark on my pine table?

I have old dark water marks on a light wood table top. How do I remove them?

Load More