Browsing: Removing White Heat Stains from a Wood Table

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing White Heat Stains from a Wood Table

Whether it's from a pizza box, a coffee cup or some other hot item, heat stains on a wood table can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing heat stains from a wood table.

White Heat Stain on Wood Table
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 29, 2016 Flag

Someone left a burning candle on my veneer dining room table which left a bubble and a big white spot on it. I tried almost everything including mayo, olive oil, Liquid Gold, and vinegar, nothing has removed it. I put a tablecloth over it which is a pain have to take it off/on when it is in use, because it is cloth. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your expert opinion on this subject. You seem to know exactly what you are talking about. I will be trying this right away! It sounds fool-proof!

Thanks for sharing your expertise! :)

White Mark on Brown table from heat plate

October 3, 2013 Flag

Using an iron with old shirt idea worked 100% for a bad one that I had. Thanks for the tip. The key is not to use too much heat as I tried that once before and made the problem worse. Be patient and then use olive oil after to condition the wood.

Great trick. I've done the mayo and ashes thing. Not even close to same results

Worked great on a hot liquid stain. 3-5 seconds using a white pillow case and wiped immediately. Repeat if needed. Then light vegetable or furniture oil. We didn't have olive or furniture oil handy, so sprayed it lightly with Pam for temporary protection...

June 18, 2016 Flag

A friend of mine set a hot pan on her dining room table and it made a horrible dark brown burn circle in the table. Is there any way we can work on making it look nice w/o refinishing the table?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Short answer? No. Long answer? Use a tablecloth.

November 10, 2014 Flag

iron marks on tableI doubled a blanket on my dining table, and was ironing a large table cloth on it. Now I have several iron marks all over my table. I don't think the iron will work, since this is how I put them on there. Any other suggestions?

By Cindy R. from Hattiesburg, MS

I used coconut oil and baking soda mix on a heat stain from a white paper plate and it worked really good.

October 28, 2013 Flag

I've been using an iron to remove them like some people are suggesting. I was wowed by this solution. This solution works temporarily. The white stains keep coming back! I've used plastic plates and cups. All my plates are white, I was wondering if this is reason why?

By wahwong62

I had huge places on my dining room table from my daughter ironing on the table with just a towel. MAGIC ERASER was the answer. I tried the hair dryer and the iron trick with a thicker towel....then got out the Magic Eraser and used that. Yet to add the lemon oil, but white area (and it was 2 large areas) are gone.

Thank you for the magic eraser tip. You saved the look of the table.

November 9, 2011 Flag

How do I remove white marks from dark wood tables?

By Mr. M. Carr

I would like to offer a correction to the answers here. The root cause of the "cloudy" white stain on wood tables caused by hot plates is the moisture that is trapped within the varnish on the table.

This is specially for really hard old reclaimed wood tables (teak, casuani, etc). These tables are typically finished with "oil" varnish or polish and not water. Now I tried everything from hot iron to baking soda and everything else in between. The one thing that made is worse was using a steam iron. That's because with steam it caused the oil polish on the table trap more moisture and it made it worse (like others have also seen if you google). The trick is to get the moisture out. So with a water based finish using a simple iron on low heat works great. However after 4 hours I realized that for oil based polish you need a very hot iron and a kitchen towel. This is very important because unlike water polish with oil polish I realized I need to get the table extremely hot and then it "pushes" the water out of the table (yes you can see beads of it) and the towel should soak it up right away otherwise it goes back.

So to summarize for oil based finishes you need a dry iron at max temp out on a kitchen towel on the table and left there for about 20-30 seconds on each spot and then wipe off the water beads right away. Repeat until no more water comes out. This is different from water based finish. Do NOT use a steam iron on a oil based finish. Hope this helps. Thanks.

This is specially for really hard old reclaimed...

June 19, 2014 Flag

I have just used a Magic Cloth to remove heat stains and it worked a treat. They are available at Lakeland in the UK and well worth the price.

March 2, 2010 Flag

My husband and I just got this table and I was serving dinner and put a hot serving bowl on it, and now there is a white ring on it. I do now know what kind of wood it is, but it has a cherry finish, I think. Please help me find a solution to get the ring out, please.

By Jen from Schroeder, MN

Use a hair drier. Keep it moving and in a minute or 2, presto!

Just did this dryer tip on my new stain from a cake pan on a shallow rack and it worked . Thanks ever so much for the tip!

March 28, 2008 Flag

How do I remove heat rings from a wooden dining room table? Judy from Austin, Texas

March 31, 2011 Flag

How do I get white rings marks, caused by heat, from my dining table?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureOctober 25, 2011
Cup Stain on Wood
Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Can of paint with a spill on white table.
Removing Paint Stains from Wood Furniture
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 28, 2016 at 12:40:34 PM on 10.0.0.142 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.