Browsing: Removing White Heat Stains from a Wood Table

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing White Heat Stains from a Wood Table

Whether it's from a pizza box, a coffee cup or some other hot item, heat stains on a wood table can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing heat stains from a wood table.

White Heat Stain on Wood Table
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 18, 2016 Flag

A friend of mine set a hot pan on her dining room table and it made a horrible dark brown burn circle in the table. Is there any way we can work on making it look nice w/o refinishing the table?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Short answer? No. Long answer? Use a tablecloth.

April 29, 2016 Flag

Someone left a burning candle on my veneer dining room table which left a bubble and a big white spot on it. I tried almost everything including mayo, olive oil, Liquid Gold, and vinegar, nothing has removed it. I put a tablecloth over it which is a pain have to take it off/on when it is in use, because it is cloth. Any suggestions?

I would like to offer a correction to the answers here. The root cause of the "cloudy" white stain on wood tables caused by hot plates is the moisture that is trapped within the varnish on the table.

This is specially for really hard old reclaimed wood tables (teak, casuani, etc). These tables are typically finished with "oil" varnish or polish and not water. Now I tried everything from hot iron to baking soda and everything else in between. The one thing that made is worse was using a steam iron. That's because with steam it caused the oil polish on the table trap more moisture and it made it worse (like others have also seen if you google). The trick is to get the moisture out. So with a water based finish using a simple iron on low heat works great. However after 4 hours I realized that for oil based polish you need a very hot iron and a kitchen towel. This is very important because unlike water polish with oil polish I realized I need to get the table extremely hot and then it "pushes" the water out of the table (yes you can see beads of it) and the towel should soak it up right away otherwise it goes back.

So to summarize for oil based finishes you need a dry iron at max temp out on a kitchen towel on the table and left there for about 20-30 seconds on each spot and then wipe off the water beads right away. Repeat until no more water comes out. This is different from water based finish. Do NOT use a steam iron on a oil based finish. Hope this helps. Thanks.

October 28, 2013 Flag

I've been using an iron to remove them like some people are suggesting. I was wowed by this solution. This solution works temporarily. The white stains keep coming back! I've used plastic plates and cups. All my plates are white, I was wondering if this is reason why?

By wahwong62

Thanks for the tip! I thought I ruined a sofa table after I used it to iron. Even tho I had thick towels, it got multiple white burn marks from the iron. I used a magic eraser in the direction of the grain, then rubbed a generous coat of lemon oil furniture polish. It looks like new! 

Read More Answers...

October 3, 2013 Flag

Using an iron with old shirt idea worked 100% for a bad one that I had. Thanks for the tip. The key is not to use too much heat as I tried that once before and made the problem worse. Be patient and then use olive oil after to condition the wood.

Great trick. I've done the mayo and ashes thing. Not even close to same results

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 10, 2014 Flag

iron marks on tableI doubled a blanket on my dining table, and was ironing a large table cloth on it. Now I have several iron marks all over my table. I don't think the iron will work, since this is how I put them on there. Any other suggestions?

By Cindy R. from Hattiesburg, MS

November 9, 2011 Flag

How do I remove white marks from dark wood tables?

By Mr. M. Carr

Read More Answers...

March 2, 2010 Flag

My husband and I just got this table and I was serving dinner and put a hot serving bowl on it, and now there is a white ring on it. I do now know what kind of wood it is, but it has a cherry finish, I think. Please help me find a solution to get the ring out, please.

By Jen from Schroeder, MN

Just did this dryer tip on my new stain from a cake pan on a shallow rack and it worked . Thanks ever so much for the tip!

Read More Answers...

March 28, 2008 Flag

How do I remove heat rings from a wooden dining room table?

Judy from Austin, Texas

(Submitted via email)

Try using milsek furniture polish. It removed my heat ring completely and left my table looking new. chrisgooner

Read More Answers...

March 31, 2011 Flag

How do I get white rings marks, caused by heat, from my dining table?

By Lorraine from Edmonds, WA

A product I was recommended called Liberon worked wonders for me. Failed with the iron, just got another mark!

Read More Answers...

September 20, 2006 Flag

Can I remove white marks from waffle type plastic table cover that got imbedded in my dark pine table?

Joan from Rutherford, NJ

If you can put the table out in the sun, try rubbing it with a suitably colored furniture polish then setting it out in the sun for a while. I've gotten water marks out of maple chairs that way.

Read More Answers...

June 19, 2014 Flag

I have just used a Magic Cloth to remove heat stains and it worked a treat. They are available at Lakeland in the UK and well worth the price.

November 26, 2012 Flag

I have a white stain on my dresser. How do I get it out?

By Diana

It would be useful to know what the stain is. Many white stains are caused by water or heat. These can be fixed, although I have not done so. Try googling removing water stains from cherry wood, and see if you get info. If the stain is something else (paint, for example), the method of removal will be different

March 28, 2008 Flag

How do I remove heat stains from wooden table?

Micnhelle from Dallas, Texas

Answers:

Heat Stain on Dining Room Table

Use an iron and a piece of cloth. Set the iron to high heat with the steam on. It's important your iron have a steam setting. Run the iron over the spot with a towel or dish cloth between the table and the iron while on steam setting. The stain should disappear within a minute or 2 max. Wipe the excess water off and just repeat till it complete disappears.
          (01/18/2008)

By Derrick Payne

March 31, 2011 Flag

I have white round marks on a coffee table. Any ideas how to remove them? Also does anyone have a homemade furniture polish recipe or any other tips to make the wood gleam and shine? Thank you.

By Teresa from Hampshire, UK

Answers:

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Try rubbing the the cut edge of a Brazil nut on the stain, it works well. (01/14/2011)

By mrs christmas

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Just used the mayonnaise/baking soda/toothpaste technique followed by the medium heat iron and white t-shirt! Both techniques used together created perfection, no sign of the white mark! (01/29/2011)

By MR&MRSDIY

January 13, 2011 Flag

My sister-in-law put a hot baked potato on a white napkin on our wood table and there was a white ring left behind. We freaked out, and she cried. Fortunately, we used a combination of baking soda, mayonnaise, and then toothpaste (with baking soda), and it worked. We think it was the toothpaste with baking soda that worked best. Awesome. Thank you!

By joey b from NY

Answers:

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

I tried using a white towel and an iron. While the stain got lighter it didn't go away. So I tried a brown paper bag and an iron and 2 swipes later they were gone completely! Amazed! (01/09/2011)

By residential cleaner

August 26, 2010 Flag

Iron marks on my dining table made white heat patches on the varnish. Any ideas?

By Bronee from Melbourne Australia

Answers:

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

OMG! We have had this old (over 100 years old) mahogany table forever. It has always had an ugly white mark on it from someone setting something hot on it so I always have a table cloth on it. Well, my husband and I tried the hot iron trick with the old t-shirt over the white spot and it took about 4 or 5 swipes with the iron and the white spot disappeared. Thank you so much for the tip it works great! (11/18/2009)

By Leslie6527

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Just wanted to add our voices to the chorus of praises for the iron and white t-shirt technique. Worked like magic. Just do what Dad and Brian did in their video. Yay! (01/28/2010)

By fredshan

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

I used the magic remover sponge and it worked great! Thanks to all for this idea. (02/04/2010)

By Minnow

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Bronee, Were you able to fix the iron mark? Please let me know. I have a table that needs similar fix.
          Thanks, HK (02/20/2010)

By hemaram

White Heat Marks on a Oak Wood Table

Okay, I tried the Liquid Gold. Didn't work for me. I then tried Dry iron and white t-shirt. Didn't work for me. I have also tried Mayo, ash, toothpaste. Did not work for me.

I tried (although skeptical) the white t-shirt and steam iron and found you must wipe hard in direction of wood grain as soon as you move the shirt off the marks, as you are moving wax buildup that you can actually feel. It did work for me! Future Hint: Do not use paper plates on wood table ever! (02/20/2010)

By Katiekatie1954

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

I am a cynic by nature, but my French polished table was in such a dire state that there was nothing to lose. I am astonished! The tee shirt and steam iron method (low steam and moderate heat. Keep it moving) worked more quickly than expected and achieved absolute perfection. It looks as though it has been re-polished. Thank you so much. I'd never have believed that such a simple trick would give a result like this. (03/08/2010)

By brownams

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Wow I can't believe how good this idea worked. Amazing. Thank you so much. (04/11/2010)

By mwwallace

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

I read so many tips, but it really stuck out to me when people were stating the hair drier wasn't hot enough. I just used a heat gun for embossing and crafting, and it was amazing! The marks vanished right before my eyes. (06/18/2010)

By cinderella12977

November 9, 2009 Flag

I need help removing ironing marks from a wood table top. They look similar to water marked furniture. Any ideas?

September 17, 2009 Flag

How do I remove white heat marks off a black ash dining table?

May 12, 2009 Flag

I have heat marks on my table. Does the remedy using baking soda and mayo scrub off the varnish since the baking soda is rough? I don't know what kind of varnish was used on this table.

April 9, 2009 Flag

What is the best way to remove white rings/marks from finished wood surfaces (other than ironing)? Thanks.

April 5, 2009 Flag

I tried to remove water marks from a wood table and ended up with the white impression of the iron. What do you suggest?

Load More
          Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureOctober 25, 2011
          Cup Stain on Wood
          Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
          Hot coffee mug on wood table.
          Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
          Can of paint with a spill on white table.
          Removing Paint Stains from Wood Furniture
          Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
          Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
          © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 27, 2016 at 9:04:28 PM on 10.0.0.5 in 945 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.