Removing White Heat Stains from a Wood Table

Whether it's from a pizza box, a coffee cup or some other hot item, heat stains on a wood table can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing heat stains from a wood table.

October 3, 2013 Flag

Using an iron with old shirt idea worked 100% for a bad one that I had. Thanks for the tip. The key is not to use too much heat as I tried that once before and made the problem worse. Be patient and then use olive oil after to condition the wood.

Great trick. I've done the mayo and ashes thing. Not even close to same results

I had a small white circle from a glass - tried the iron but made the problem worse because I hit the steam button and then I had an entire white iron stain, LOL - luckily, tho I worked on it for an entire hour working on small patches and now I am about to put olive oil on it to preserve it. I was very surprised that it worked! Thank Goodness!

November 10, 2014 Flag

I doubled a blanket on my dining table, and was ironing a large table cloth on it. Now I have several iron marks all over my table. I don't think the iron will work, since this is how I put them on there. Any other suggestions?

By Cindy R. from Hattiesburg, MS

This is not a tip it is a question and to answer your question yes this trick will work you just need to use the steam button not auto steam on your iron and do it fast and take your time it will work though just make sure the iron is only on there for a second or two at most and make sure the steam is already coming out of it

October 28, 2013 Flag

I've been using an iron to remove them like some people are suggesting. I was wowed by this solution. This solution works temporarily. The white stains keep coming back! I've used plastic plates and cups. All my plates are white, I was wondering if this is reason why?

By wahwong62

I had huge places on my dining room table from my daughter ironing on the table with just a towel. MAGIC ERASER was the answer. I tried the hair dryer and the iron trick with a thicker towel....then got out the Magic Eraser and used that. Yet to add the lemon oil, but white area (and it was 2 large areas) are gone.

June 18, 2016 Flag

A friend of mine set a hot pan on her dining room table and it made a horrible dark brown burn circle in the table. Is there any way we can work on making it look nice w/o refinishing the table?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Short answer? No. Long answer? Use a tablecloth.

November 9, 2011 Flag

How do I remove white marks from dark wood tables?

By Mr. M. Carr

I would like to offer a correction to the answers here. The root cause of the "cloudy" white stain on wood tables caused by hot plates is the moisture that is trapped within the varnish on the table.

This is specially for really hard old reclaimed wood tables (teak, casuani, etc). These tables are typically finished with "oil" varnish or polish and not water. Now I tried everything from hot iron to baking soda and everything else in between. The one thing that made is worse was using a steam iron. That's because with steam it caused the oil polish on the table trap more moisture and it made it worse (like others have also seen if you google). The trick is to get the moisture out. So with a water based finish using a simple iron on low heat works great. However after 4 hours I realized that for oil based polish you need a very hot iron and a kitchen towel. This is very important because unlike water polish with oil polish I realized I need to get the table extremely hot and then it "pushes" the water out of the table (yes you can see beads of it) and the towel should soak it up right away otherwise it goes back.

So to summarize for oil based finishes you need a dry iron at max temp out on a kitchen towel on the table and left there for about 20-30 seconds on each spot and then wipe off the water beads right away. Repeat until no more water comes out. This is different from water based finish. Do NOT use a steam iron on a oil based finish. Hope this helps. Thanks.

March 2, 2010 Flag

My husband and I just got this table and I was serving dinner and put a hot serving bowl on it, and now there is a white ring on it. I do now know what kind of wood it is, but it has a cherry finish, I think. Please help me find a solution to get the ring out, please.

By Jen from Schroeder, MN

Use a hair drier. Keep it moving and in a minute or 2, presto!

June 19, 2014 Flag

I have just used a Magic Cloth to remove heat stains and it worked a treat. They are available at Lakeland in the UK and well worth the price.

March 31, 2011 Flag

How do I get white rings marks, caused by heat, from my dining table?

By Lorraine from Edmonds, WA

I have used a hair dryer....I "dry" the stain for about 30 seconds using hot heat, then buff it with a soft cloth....may need some patience but it works every time!

November 26, 2012 Flag

I have a white stain on my dresser. How do I get it out?

By Diana

It would be useful to know what the stain is. Many white stains are caused by water or heat. These can be fixed, although I have not done so. Try googling removing water stains from cherry wood, and see if you get info. If the stain is something else (paint, for example), the method of removal will be different

September 20, 2006 Flag

Can I remove white marks from waffle type plastic table cover that got imbedded in my dark pine table?

Joan from Rutherford, NJ

Try mayonnaise. Seriously - it takes water rings off very expensive furniture. It can't possibly hurt it.

June 13, 2007 Flag

How can you get white heat marks off a cherry wood table?

Dawn from Truro, Nova Scotia

Answers:

White Heat Marks on Wood Table

Our brand new satin finish walnut table has had a large white ring from a hot pot for months now while we tried every product imaginable. I was just about to go ahead with a $300 refinishing job when I came across this iron trick (see further down this page) and figuring that I couldn't make it much worse gave it a try. In less than a minute I've removed the mark and my table looks brand new (03/26/2007)

By Sea

White Heat Marks on Wood Table

The steam iron and white towel worked a treat! It was brilliant. Dear Husband put a hot pizza box on a fabulous table, and I was sure it was ruined. I tried everything, but what worked was the steam iron and white towel. Thank you so much! (03/30/2007)

By Winifred

White Heat Marks on Wood Table

Just tried the steam iron trick using a white T-shirt, and it worked perfectly! I can't believe how easy this was. I have been living with that white mark for all of this time and it took 2 minutes to get rid of it! (04/07/2007)

By Dee

White Heat Marks on Wood Table

I never thought this would work, and thought I would try it out to prove you wrong but in fact it did work and so perfectly! Now my Landlord won't be charging me for a new table! Basically as it says all you do is heat up a normal steam iron to medium heat, get a white table cloth, pillow case, etc. and put over the white mark, then for a few seconds, just as if you were ironing the cloth, press the steam button and work over the stain. You will be amazed like I am. I'm still trying to work out how THIS ACTUALLY WORKS! (04/11/2007)

By Adrianna

White Heat Marks on Wood Table

When I saw that you could use a steam iron and a white cloth I was skeptical. But I got my iron and a white t-shirt out but was left with a big white iron mark. Then I thought I would try it again...

HERE IS THE TRICK...

Double the t-shirt or use a thicker cloth, then the second you place the iron on the shirt press the steam button and remove. I DO MEAN ONE SECOND! Then with the damp side of the shirt rub the stain. Keep doing this till the stain comes out. Once it the stain was out I then rubbed in some olive oil and now my table looks as good as new! (04/18/2007)

By Tahnee

White Heat Marks on Wood Table

Mayo and some wood ashes rubbed with an old sock. It works just perfect! (04/26/2007)

By Chuck

Use a dish towel and your steam iron. I ironed for 3 seconds while giving it three shots of steam and then rubbed like heck. I think the people who are saying "the iron didn't work," didn't rub like heck immediately. It worked for me. :)

March 31, 2011 Flag

I have white round marks on a coffee table. Any ideas how to remove them? Also does anyone have a homemade furniture polish recipe or any other tips to make the wood gleam and shine? Thank you.

By Teresa from Hampshire, UK

Answers:

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Try rubbing the the cut edge of a Brazil nut on the stain, it works well. (01/14/2011)

By mrs christmas

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Just used the mayonnaise/baking soda/toothpaste technique followed by the medium heat iron and white t-shirt! Both techniques used together created perfection, no sign of the white mark! (01/29/2011)

By MR&MRSDIY

January 13, 2011 Flag

My sister-in-law put a hot baked potato on a white napkin on our wood table and there was a white ring left behind. We freaked out, and she cried.

August 26, 2010 Flag

Iron marks on my dining table made white heat patches on the varnish. Any ideas?

November 9, 2009 Flag

I need help removing ironing marks from a wood table top. They look similar to water marked furniture. Any ideas?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureOctober 25, 2011
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Can of paint with a spill on white table.
Removing Paint Stains from Wood Furniture
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄