Removing White Heat Stains from a Wood Table

Whether it's from a pizza box, a coffee cup or some other hot item, heat stains on a wood table can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing heat stains from a wood table.

White Heat Stain on Wood Table
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Someone left a burning candle on my veneer dining room table which left a bubble and a big white spot on it. I tried almost everything including mayo, olive oil, Liquid Gold, and vinegar, nothing has removed it. I put a tablecloth over it which is a pain have to take it off/on when it is in use, because it is cloth. Any suggestions?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A very easy online search for "how to repair burn mark on dining table" produced many replies. You can try a search yourself and this very helpful site:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/fix-heat-burns-dining-room-table-57293.html

Using an iron with old shirt idea worked 100% for a bad one that I had. Thanks for the tip. The key is not to use too much heat as I tried that once before and made the problem worse. Be patient and then use olive oil after to condition the wood.

Great trick. I've done the mayo and ashes thing. Not even close to same results

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

iron marks on tableI doubled a blanket on my dining table, and was ironing a large table cloth on it. Now I have several iron marks all over my table. I don't think the iron will work, since this is how I put them on there. Any other suggestions?

By Cindy R. from Hattiesburg, MS

I've been using an iron to remove them like some people are suggesting. I was wowed by this solution. This solution works temporarily. The white stains keep coming back! I've used plastic plates and cups. All my plates are white, I was wondering if this is reason why?

By wahwong62

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and I can't believe it really worked! The white stain is gone.

Read More Answers...

How do I remove white marks from dark wood tables?

By Mr. M. Carr

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had/have this problem on light-colored wood. Some guests left their "sweating" drink glasses on the end table and terrible marks were left. I've tried every hint offered on ThriftyFun, but nothing has worked so far. I may just have to remove the finish from the entire table, sand it all, and then apply a new coat of stain. I was hoping to avoid this painstaking chore!

Read More Answers...

My husband and I just got this table and I was serving dinner and put a hot serving bowl on it, and now there is a white ring on it. I do now know what kind of wood it is, but it has a cherry finish, I think. Please help me find a solution to get the ring out, please.

By Jen from Schroeder, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use a hair drier. Keep it moving and in a minute or 2, presto!

Read More Answers...

How do I get white rings marks, caused by heat, from my dining table?

By Lorraine from Edmonds, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A product I was recommended called Liberon worked wonders for me. Failed with the iron, just got another mark!

Read More Answers...

I have just used a Magic Cloth to remove heat stains and it worked a treat. They are available at Lakeland in the UK and well worth the price.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can I remove white marks from waffle type plastic table cover that got imbedded in my dark pine table?

Joan from Rutherford, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you can put the table out in the sun, try rubbing it with a suitably colored furniture polish then setting it out in the sun for a while. I've gotten water marks out of maple chairs that way.

Read More Answers...

I have a white stain on my dresser. How do I get it out?

By Diana

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It would be useful to know what the stain is. Many white stains are caused by water or heat. These can be fixed, although I have not done so. Try googling removing water stains from cherry wood, and see if you get info. If the stain is something else (paint, for example), the method of removal will be different

I have white round marks on a coffee table. Any ideas how to remove them? Also does anyone have a homemade furniture polish recipe or any other tips to make the wood gleam and shine? Thank you.

By Teresa from Hampshire, UK

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Try rubbing the the cut edge of a Brazil nut on the stain, it works well. (01/14/2011)

By mrs christmas

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Just used the mayonnaise/baking soda/toothpaste technique followed by the medium heat iron and white t-shirt! Both techniques used together created perfection, no sign of the white mark! (01/29/2011)

By MR&MRSDIY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My sister-in-law put a hot baked potato on a white napkin on our wood table and there was a white ring left behind. We freaked out, and she cried. Fortunately, we used a combination of baking soda, mayonnaise, and then toothpaste (with baking soda), and it worked. We think it was the toothpaste with baking soda that worked best. Awesome. Thank you!

By joey b from NY

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

I tried using a white towel and an iron. While the stain got lighter it didn't go away. So I tried a brown paper bag and an iron and 2 swipes later they were gone completely! Amazed! (01/09/2011)

By residential cleaner

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Iron marks on my dining table made white heat patches on the varnish. Any ideas?

By Bronee from Melbourne Australia

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

OMG! We have had this old (over 100 years old) mahogany table forever. It has always had an ugly white mark on it from someone setting something hot on it so I always have a table cloth on it. Well, my husband and I tried the hot iron trick with the old t-shirt over the white spot and it took about 4 or 5 swipes with the iron and the white spot disappeared. Thank you so much for the tip it works great! (11/18/2009)

By Leslie6527

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Just wanted to add our voices to the chorus of praises for the iron and white t-shirt technique. Worked like magic. Just do what Dad and Brian did in their video. Yay! (01/28/2010)

By fredshan

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

I used the magic remover sponge and it worked great! Thanks to all for this idea. (02/04/2010)

By Minnow

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Bronee, Were you able to fix the iron mark? Please let me know. I have a table that needs similar fix.
        Thanks, HK (02/20/2010)

By hemaram

White Heat Marks on a Oak Wood Table

Okay, I tried the Liquid Gold. Didn't work for me. I then tried Dry iron and white t-shirt. Didn't work for me. I have also tried Mayo, ash, toothpaste. Did not work for me.

I tried (although skeptical) the white t-shirt and steam iron and found you must wipe hard in direction of wood grain as soon as you move the shirt off the marks, as you are moving wax buildup that you can actually feel. It did work for me! Future Hint: Do not use paper plates on wood table ever! (02/20/2010)

By Katiekatie1954

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

I am a cynic by nature, but my French polished table was in such a dire state that there was nothing to lose. I am astonished! The tee shirt and steam iron method (low steam and moderate heat. Keep it moving) worked more quickly than expected and achieved absolute perfection. It looks as though it has been re-polished. Thank you so much. I'd never have believed that such a simple trick would give a result like this. (03/08/2010)

By brownams

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

Wow I can't believe how good this idea worked. Amazing. Thank you so much. (04/11/2010)

By mwwallace

White Heat Marks on a Wood Table

I read so many tips, but it really stuck out to me when people were stating the hair drier wasn't hot enough. I just used a heat gun for embossing and crafting, and it was amazing! The marks vanished right before my eyes. (06/18/2010)

By cinderella12977

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need help removing ironing marks from a wood table top. They look similar to water marked furniture. Any ideas?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove white heat marks off a black ash dining table?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have heat marks on my table. Does the remedy using baking soda and mayo scrub off the varnish since the baking soda is rough? I don't know what kind of varnish was used on this table.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What is the best way to remove white rings/marks from finished wood surfaces (other than ironing)? Thanks.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I tried to remove water marks from a wood table and ended up with the white impression of the iron. What do you suggest?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is there anyway to remove this white ring from my coffee table? I am pretty sure it was caused by my son setting something hot on it, like a bowl of soup.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a light colored wooden Ash dining table with white spots. I tried Mayo, cigarette ash, and a steam iron but nothing works.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you remove white heat marks from a mahogany table?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
        CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here's a video about removing heat marks.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can you get white heat marks off a cherry wood table?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A hot dish was placed on wood table and left a white mark. I need to remove the mark without damaging finish, if possible.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone know how to get white heat marks off a wood table? I've tried mayonnaise- let it sit and rubbed it in a bit. My Grandmother told me to try a product called liquid gold, but I can 't find it anywhere.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
        Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureOctober 25, 2011
        Cup Stain on Wood
        Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
        Hot coffee mug on wood table.
        Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
        Can of paint with a spill on white table.
        Removing Paint Stains from Wood Furniture
        Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
        Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 4, 2016 at 10:05:19 PM on 10.0.0.52 in 286 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.