Removing Wood Stain from Clothing

I need to find a way if possible to remove brown wood stain from my son's brand new high school hoodie.

Sue in ME

Answers:

Removing Wood Stain from Clothing

You didn't say if it was oil-based or water based stain. That makes a difference. Do you know?

If it's water based, try regular (not for false nails) but regular old-fashioned fingernail polish remover. But before you try it, do it in a place you can't see, like the inside on the hem first and never use fingernail polish remover on acetate fabric or it will melt it.

If it's oil-based, try mineral spirits (just like above). Make sure you apply it, wait several minutes, then blot with a clean washcloth. If it looks like it's working, then repeat it several times until clean. Whatever you do, do "not" put it in the dryer or iron until you totally remove the stain or the heat will set it for good.

If you try one of the above, be sure to wash the garment really, really well otherwise it will be flammable if someone drops a match on it, etc. (12/30/2008)

By Cyinda

Removing Wood Stain from Clothing

Mommy was a hero! The mineral spirits worked wonderfully to remove oil-based wood stain from a 100% polyester futbol jersey (Barcelona). It also had water-based paint on it. I chose to use the mineral spirits first to treat the wood stain by simply pouring a little on each spot and let it sit or apply more until it faded. I then washed in cold with regular laundry detergent.

After that, I went to work on the paint by scrubbing with an abrasive soap bar I have (called Hog Wash) that is for scrubbing clothes. Using that and warm-hot water, the paint came out too. One more wash as normal and you can't tell it was ever stained. Thanks a ton. (07/05/2009)

By mshumaker

Removing Wood Stain from Clothing

The posts above were amazing.

Mineral Spirits (aka paint thinner) worked like a charm. After a little bit of scrubbing and a wash in the delicate cycle on cold, the wood stain completely disappeared from my woven cotton dress. I did, however, repeat the process of applying the mineral spirits for several minutes, rubbing the stain with a clean wet wash cloth, and then rinsing off the mineral spirits.

I also found that the brush on the top of the Shout (stain remover) container worked really well to work out the stain. Any brush, though, will suffice.

This was a fabulous tip, but you must be careful, as mineral spirits is highly flammable. (08/27/2009)

By Nomester

Removing Wood Stain from Clothing
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
Applying Wood Stain
Removing Wood Stain from Clothing
🎄