Removing Yellow Stains From Inside Microwave

I am writing to thank the person who said acetone free nail polish remover would remove the yellow stain in my microwave oven left after seriously burning a bag of microwave popcorn. She was absolutely right on.

At first, I tried 10 oz. water and three teabags boiled and letting it steam the inside of the microwave, but this did not get rid of the smell nor the yellow stain. I also tried Soft Scrub, 409 Glass and Surface cleaner, and vinegar water. Each of those cleaned the microwave of the first layer of carbon from the burned popcorn, but did not take care of the smell nor the yellow stain. Yellow stain was removed "only" by the acetone free nail polish remover, which I tried in a small spot first because I thought for sure the paint enamel would peel right off. I don't believe everything I read. I cleaned the yellow stain off with acetone free nail polish using lots of cotton balls.

So go at the problem like this:

1. Clean first with any cleaner you like to get the first layer off down to the yellow stain, this means the door, window, top, bottom, sides and outside vent across the top of the microwave.
  2. Use the acetone free nail polish on cotton balls and go over everything: ie, inside window and inside door, top, bottom, sides.
  3. Wash microwave with soapy water.
  4. Rinse with vinegar water. Once the yellow stain is removed you have removed the main source of the smell. Until the yellow is gone, you will have the smell. Don't use your microwave until you have completed this whole process.
  5. Final step to take is to peel two oranges, put them in a microwaveable dish with water enough to barely cover them and boil for 4 minutes. I stood and watched them boil, because I didn't want a boil over or burned orange peels. Enjoy the oranges while you watch. "Do not open the door." Leave the door closed for 12 hours.

Our popcorn disaster would not have gotten this bad if our smoke alarm, which goes off over a crumb in the toaster, had gone off. We had failed to test and replace the battery. Don't let it happen to you. And, don't walk into another room while microwaving popcorn, stand guard while doing popcorn.

By Sunshine from Columbus, ND

RE: Removing Yellow Stains From Inside Microwave

Also, try the Mr. Clean magic erase "sponges". I have found they work on everything, and although I haven't tried it yet on the microwave interior, it might just work on those yellowed walls. (03/19/2007)

By Mary

Being completely out of both oranges and nail polish remover, I tried scrubbing the microwave with "Gumption", it seemed to work fairly well, removed about 90% of the stain. I now currently have a bowl of vanilla essence sitting in there. Am hoping it will help get rid of the smell. Will keep you posted.

To further complicate it, I keep the microwave in the pantry. Now the whole pantry stinks. And I suspect we will be eating burnt popcorn flavoured food for a while. (12/04/2007)

By Helen

I had a pretty nasty yellow streak at the back and side of my almost new microwave after burning a bag of popcorn. I tried everything I could think of and then I found this site. I have to admit I was terrified of using nail polish remover. I tried the acetone free one first and it didn't remove it all. I then tried Sally Hansen Maximum Strength on a small area and voila all the stains are gone. What did we do before we had the internet. Thanks so much for a wonderful piece of advice. (06/27/2008)

By Laurette

Hand cleaning inside of a microwave oven with a rag
Removing Yellow Stains from Inside a Microwave
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Cleaning Old Dresses
Removing Yellow Creases from Stored Dresses
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes