Removing Stains from Old Linoleum Floors

Category Floors
Old Linoleum Floors
Cleaning stains on your flooring may require specific cleaners depending on the stain and the flooring type. Make sure that your floor is in fact linoleum rather than sheet vinyl before proceeding. This is a guide about removing stains from old linoleum floors.

I am trying to remove these dark ink stains around my toilet from wet jeans that were drying on the shower bar. Even though I cleaned up the blue water right away it still stained the floor. I tried bleach, baking soda, liquid Ajax cleanser, laundry detergent, and now ammonia which is very strong, but it is removing some of it. I also have yellow stains from Mr. Clean on the lino as well. I read here that acetone might work so I'm gonna try nail polish remover next.

Does anyone have any ideas of what will work to remove these stains permanently? I rent and I am now moving and prefer not be charged for these stains. Thanks!

I hope you have found a solution but just in case you are still needing help...

Linoleum and vinyl flooring are different and require different solutions. I believe most floor coverings today are vinyl.

I am 82 years old so I have seen many stains of this nature.

Here are some solutions I keep in "stain removal" guide. I hope one of them will help but it is true that many stains are in the floor covering and cannot be removed.

1. Saturate any stains on the linoleum with full-strength white vinegar or a mixture of baking soda and lemon juice/or vinegar (made into a paste). Allow it to sit for 15 minutes.

2.Wipe the vinegar with a cloth. If the stains are still noticeable, apply more solution and sprinkle a layer of baking soda on top of it. Allow it to sit for five minutes.

3.Scrub the stains with a damp sponge or scrub brush or a non-abrasive scrubbie. Wipe the floor with a damp cloth or towel to remove any baking soda residue and dry it with a towel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have heard of mineral spirits and acetone (nail polish remover) being used but I am not familiar with these solutions.

I have also read/hear that ammonia and Mr. Clean would eventually turn the surface yellow.

I have used Soft Scrub (the kind with Bleach) and also Oxyclean powder (made into a paste) on many surfaces and it did a good job. If trying this, let it sit for about 5 minutes, and then scrub it with a non-abrasive scrubbie.

Be sure to rinse with warm water and dry with soft rags.

I have an old linoleum floor in the bathroom with grayish stains in most walked on areas. I clean the floor with white vinegar/water solution which does not get the stain out. What can I use to get this stain out? It is about a 30 yr old floor.

I sprayed Dow Scrubbing Bubbles on it, and that got up quite a bit of the stain. My next thing was going to be chlorine (White wall tire cleaner; which btw, works great on white athletic shoes). Also, someone said a product called Rejuvenate would be good choice; found at Home Depot or Amazon. So, I'm good to go for a bit! Thanks to all!

I have print and dye stains on the kitchen lino floor from wet carrier bags and newspapers when the floor got damp. How can I remove them?

By Musabi