Browsing: Removing a Stuck Light Bulb

Removing a Stuck Recessed Light Bulb

I have a recessed spotlight in my kitchen ceiling that seems to be corroded because I can't twist it out. I have no way of doing the tape wrap trick either as it is too recessed to work around. Any suggestions as how to remove without shattering the light bulb?

By JL

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Break out the light bulb glass cut a potato in half and push it firmly onto the light bulb and it should come out with no bother

1. Make sure the switch is OFF

2. Try squirting WD40 or some other lubricant around the

base of the bulb and wait a few minutes...no luck?

3. Be very careful. Use eye protectors. Wear gloves.

Hold bulb and gently tap with a hard object to break it.

Once broken clear glass so metal base rim is exposed.

Using needle nose pliers grip the rim and gently wiggle

while using a rotating motion in the direction you

would use to unscrew the bulb naturally. The rim may

start to bend...I've had them a bent mess but no

matter. Presevere until it is removed. Another

squirt of WD40 may help this process.

4. When replacing the bulb smear the base of the new

bulb with vasolene so this won't happen again...

Carol

My ceiling light in the kitchen also was stuck when it burnt out. No way to get my fingers around the bulb because the bulb was so far recessed. I put a piece of clear packing tape (duct tape would have worked too but I was too lazy to go to the garage and packing tape was in my desk) on it with pieces hanging down on both sides, grabbed the two pieces and pulled in opposite directions. The bulb turned as if it had been greased and came right out.

I had the same problem, get the tape up the sides using a butter knife, etc. The tape is the only thing that works. I was able to grip the vise grip pliers on the bulb once I had the edges taped.

I broke the bulb out of the base and removed the base with needle nose pliers. ( with the power off of course ). Then lubricate jemust the threads in the new bulb so it won't be a problem next time. PS Potatoes are goid to eat later to relieve the stress. Not to remove a "stuck" bulb.

Ihad the same problem with a bulb ina recessed light fixture. We have to use a ladder to reach this fixture - the bulbs do not get changed very often. Hence we were going to change all 3 bulbs. Two wouldn't come out. We read the idea of a suction cup to give turning power. A suction cup was found ( it was on the end of a hook that I put on my oven door to hold a towel ) IT WORKED PERFECTLY.

Stuck Light Bulb
Removing a Stuck Light Bulb
Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalJuly 3, 2013
Light Bulb Vase
Making a Light Bulb Vase
Light Switch
Repairing a Light Switch
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 5:31:56 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.