Removing a Stuck Recessed Light Bulb

I have a recessed spotlight in my kitchen ceiling that seems to be corroded because I can't twist it out. I have no way of doing the tape wrap trick either as it is too recessed to work around. Any suggestions as how to remove without shattering the light bulb?

By JL

Showing: Answers Sort

By Kaye 2 Flag

Break out the light bulb glass cut a potato in half and push it firmly onto the light bulb and it should come out with no bother

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Carol 1 Flag

1. Make sure the switch is OFF

2. Try squirting WD40 or some other lubricant around the

base of the bulb and wait a few minutes...no luck?

3. Be very careful. Use eye protectors. Wear gloves.

Hold bulb and gently tap with a hard object to break it.

Once broken clear glass so metal base rim is exposed.

Using needle nose pliers grip the rim and gently wiggle

while using a rotating motion in the direction you

would use to unscrew the bulb naturally. The rim may

start to bend...I've had them a bent mess but no

matter. Presevere until it is removed. Another

squirt of WD40 may help this process.

4. When replacing the bulb smear the base of the new

bulb with vasolene so this won't happen again...

Carol

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Irena W. 1 Flag

My ceiling light in the kitchen also was stuck when it burnt out. No way to get my fingers around the bulb because the bulb was so far recessed. I put a piece of clear packing tape (duct tape would have worked too but I was too lazy to go to the garage and packing tape was in my desk) on it with pieces hanging down on both sides, grabbed the two pieces and pulled in opposite directions. The bulb turned as if it had been greased and came right out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Stuck Light Bulb
Removing a Stuck Light Bulb
Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalJuly 3, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Stuck Light Bulb
Removing a Stuck Light Bulb
Light Bulb Vase
Making a Light Bulb Vase
Leather Topped Desk
Removing Paper Stuck to a Leather Topped Desk
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:25:32 AM on 10.0.1.182 in 896 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings