Removing an Iron-On Transfer from a T-shirt

How do I remove a Iron On Transfer from a T-Shirt?

Thank you,

Lori from Roaring River, NC

Answers:

Unfortunately, from the two sources I've found so far, it appears that iron-on transfers are not able to be removed. :(

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=221283

http://www.itsmineusa.com/clothing-name-labels.htm#6 (03/28/2006)

By germanbini

Well I found away to remove the iron on transfers who said you couldn't, I found where there's a will there's a way and yes I found it. It came about after looking on the net for a solution and not finding one, I thought to my self there has to be a way and then I thought well if you accidentally iron over the transfer without the protective sheet you wreck the transfer so I thought that maybe you could remove it by ironing directly on the transfer and it would melt the glue and it would rub off and I found it does. Here's how I did it first I wet the area and subsequent area around the transfer on the material in my case a t-shirt and then ironed directly onto the transfer with a hot iron/cotton setting (no protective sheet) and made circular motions over the transfer until it melted and began melting together into little balls. From there I picked off the balls and used a lint brush the ones you can get that are made with sandpaper or the metal comb looking ones to scrape off the stubborn bits like taking off lint from your clothes. I repeated this action until the transfer was off. The only down side is that you may not get it all off in some cases but hay it's worth a try considering they say you can't get it off any other way. Oh and one other down side your iron might get a bit sticky and the transfer will stick to the surface and need to be cleaned but hay the transfer will be off. There is a way to get around it sticking too much to the iron by buying one that is Teflon coated, which is what I have at the moment. Good Luck it's not a 100% solution there is the slight possiblilty that you can ruin your material or it doesn't come off to good.

Hope this helps and works for you, it did for me.

Abby (12/28/2006)

By Abby

Its only stuck on with a glue type substance at the end of the day, surely?

Theres got to be a chemical solution to do it. Got to be.

Myself, I am lumbered with 20 Real Madrid shirts, with..Beckham, on the back. Silly really, as everyone knows whom I am anyway.
best of luck.

David.

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) Wow, Becks, I didn't know you frequented ThriftyFun! (02/13/2007)

By DB

I tried what Abby previous posted and it works!

By Kim

You should use parchment paper (You can find it at any grocery store) and iron that over the transfer for about 30 seconds. The transfer should come off. (05/15/2007)

By Anthony

Just tried the parchment paper. It took a little more than 30 seconds, but It worked excellent!!
Thanks! (07/17/2007)

By Jodi

WOW. i never knew transfers could be removed thanks for letting me know this (07/18/2007)

By imaqt1962

This really works. My girlfriend was finishing up a section of a quilt for the family reunion raffle when the last iron on transfer moved on her ruining the piece of fabric she'd been working on for two weeks.. I knew I had to try something so I grabbed a can of brake parts cleaner out of the shed. I ironed on a transfer to a sample peace of fabric and then tried the brake parts cleaner which removed it COMPLETELY!! This is available at auto zone, the brand is called value-craft brake parts cleaner, and is two bucks a can. This really does work and hopefully you'll see this post!! (08/05/2007)

By Jeremy

I was looking for a way to remove an Iron-On T-shirt Transfer for inkjet printers (the Print'N'Press type), and I found I could remove it by soaking the fabric in Goo Gone, and then gently brushing it off with a toothbrush. I did it under running water -- the hottest I could handle -- and slowly, but surely, it came off.

Dude. Goo Gone is awesome.

Hope this helps someone out there.

(09/18/2007)

By Carey D.

I'm sorry. But none of the suggestions on this page worked. The GooGone didn't work at all, the re-ironing of the transfer just made burn marks on the area around the transfer (from too much heat I suppose) and the hot running water worked slightly but after much scrubbing with a hard bristle brush I hadn't gotten any more then a sliver of the transfer off. And actually, by trying all of these methods the material actually started disintegrating before my eyes. Maybe it depends on the material but nothing has worked for me thus far! :( (10/26/2007)

By Jenni

I tried Abby's suggestion and it took some time but eventually it did work. I did notice that you really needed to continue to re-wet. Thank you so much for your advice. (10/28/2007)

By Andrea

I have the thing that works. I found it on the web somewhere. Take a plain piece of paper, lay the article on the paper with the transfer face down on the paper and then take a hot iron and just work at it. The transfer will stay on the paper. I thought I had ruined 2 shirts but I tried this and it took less than a hour to do both t-shirts. Try it this works. (10/29/2007)

By scarlet8172

T-shirt with a bright orange and red floral design.  Design isolated next to shirt
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
sequin iron-on transfers
Using an Iron-on Transfer
Family Taking Digital Photos
Transferring Digital Photos to Your Computer
Man Washing Clothes
Preventing Dye Transfer When Washing Clothes
🎄