Removing an Unknown Stain from Cotton Clothing

I need help with a stain on a cotton top. I have tried using everything to get out the stain. The thing is I don't know what the stain is or how it got there. I have washed the garment about 20 times and have tried Vanish powder so far. If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated. Thanks, as this is my favorite top.

By Joanne1012 from United Kingdom

Answers:

Removing an Unknown from Cotton Clothing

I was amazed at how well an Oxi-clean-like product from the Dollar Store worked!

When I opened the box of saved baby clothes to give to our daughter for their new baby, I was dismayed to see a dark brown stain on the pink hand-knit sweater her Grandmother made for her over 30 years ago. I tried many things but nothing worked until I tried a tip I'd seen on ThriftyFun!

I sprinkled a couple teaspoons of the dry "Oxi-clean" on the spot, sprayed it with water and rubbed it in a bit, then let it sit overnight. I figured the sweater was ruined anyway so if this did more damage, so be it.
When I rinsed it the next day, the spot was totally gone and there was no deterioration of the pink color or the fabric! I was truly amazed! You might give that a try; it worked for me. (07/01/2010)

By Granny Lynne

Paint it! If the stain is in a place appropriate for a design (even on the back!), paint something. A few flower petals, a flower center, and some leaves. If it's down the front somewhere, put some flowers around the neck on a vine and cascade it down to where the spot is. Flowers come in every color and grow in so many ways, it's hard to go wrong! (Just use fabric paint and follow instructions.) If I can do this, anybody can! Good luck. (07/01/2010)

By sarsi

Oxy powder works wonders! I use it for all stains, even used clothing with stains that I have no idea what it was. It works great on stained baby clothes. Just wet the spot with warm water, put some oxy on it, and soak in hot water overnight. Wash the next day in your regular cycle (helps your other clothes while washing) and it should come out. Good Luck! (07/01/2010)

By morbetomommy

I agree 100% with the answers above. I don't know what makes Oxy Clean work but it sure does! You might also try washing the top in Tide with Dove Stain Remover after the Oxy treatment. I've tried this with really good results as well. (07/02/2010)

By ptaggart

rusty tools
Removing Rust Stains from Fabric and Clothing
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Removing Permanent Marker from Hair
Flair Pen on Cotton Clothing
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄