Removing the Coffee Smell from Plastic Canisters

How do I get the coffee smell out of the Folders coffee canisters? I have tried baking soda and putting it in the sun for a few days, but the coffee smell always comes back. I want to use these for Christmas treats and I don't want them to smell like coffee. Please help. Thank you.

By Lana W.

I get odors out of anything by using a combination of vinegar and baking soda. The only trick is to leave it soaking overnight. It doesn't have to be straight vinegar and baking soda, of course you can dilute it with water. The stronger the smell the more vinegar and baking soda in the water. Hope this helps.

p.s. It works on clothes also.

R.G.

Another idea is to package the treats in their own zipper bags. You can also shredded newspaper for packaging and that will absorb a lot, too. Good luck.

I have about 4 Folger's coffee canisters stored in my bedroom closet, and couldn't get rid of the coffee odor. I have a great aunt 97 years old and she lives in Tucson, AZ. She loves sweets so every Christmas I make her some homemade fudge, brownies or cookies.

This Christmas 2011 I made her some vanilla and chocolate bark candy instead. I was going to use a Folger's coffee canister and go to their website to print off the labels. It really wouldn't matter if the coffee canister still had the coffee odor. In fact it probably would have enhanced the flavor of the chocolate.

The problem that I found is that the coffee canister would not fit in the priority flat rate shipping carton no matter if I stood it straight in the box or laid it side ways. The canister was too high to get the box closed. So I used a holiday cookie tin instead. It would have cost $14.00+ if shipped using a regular priority box compared to priority flat rate shipping. A Folgers coffee canister would be nice to use if it didn't have to be mailed out of state.

I sold Tupperware back in the 70s and one of the tips we shared at parties was to soak newspaper in vinegar then place it in whatever container had a lingering order, seal the container and leave it at least overnight. Repeat as needed, it works a treat for any sealable container-plastic, wood, metal, you name it. I've used the tip on old suitcase and steamer trunks, too.

You can try putting in some unused coffee filters. They may absorb the odor.

Put baking soda in it for a few days :)

Put peanut butter in them and cover it.

put in 1 cup vinegar put on lid set in sun for a couple of days and the smell is gone . I have done this with many it always works for me

Coffee can composting
Reusing Plastic Coffee Cans
Better Living Green Living ReusingDecember 16, 2011
Film Canister
Uses for Film Canisters
A plastic red container of ground coffee.
Finding Plastic Folger's Coffee Cans
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Declutter with Coffee Cans
Organizing With Plastic Coffee Containers
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 7:32:25 PM on 10.0.1.166 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.