Removing the Tint from Prescription Sunglasses

Category Eye Glasses
Sometimes the tint color of your glasses is not the way you want it. This guide is about removing the tint from prescription sunglasses.

How do I untint a pair of eyeglasses? I broke my regular glasses and need to untint my prescription sunglasses.

By Steve from Newburgh, IN

Best Answer

I worked for an optometrist and we dyed some of our own lenses. Please beware that some tint will probably remain. I agree with OliveOyl, contact whoever made your glasses. Or SOME optical shop. I suspect you'll have better luck with a local-type shop, rather than a national chain.

Best Answer

My lenses are polycarbonite. The opticians put a tint on that was too dark. I soaked my glasses (lenses down) in a shallow container containing a 50/50 ratio of household bleach and hot water. I continued to check them approximately every 15 - 20 minutes. The diluted bleach solution removed all of the tint from my lenses with absolutely no apparent harm to the glasses or lenses at all. To completely remove the tint took approximately 1 hour.

Don't know if this is possible, but ask where your purchased your glasses.

Tint is applied to plastic spectacle lenses through a dyeing process, similar to coloring Easter eggs. The color is designed to be permanent and remains constant, whether it is made to be just slightly tinted for cosmetic purposes or to cut down glare, or made dark for sunglasses. Removing the tint is possible, in most cases, if the lenses are made from plastic.

Difficulty: Moderately Challenging

Instructions:

Things You'll Need:

Lens-dyeing unit

Lens bleach or neutralizer

Step 1: Turn on the dye unit and allow the unit to heat up. Depending on the machine, this can take 15 minutes to half an hour.

Step 2: Remove the lenses from your frame. Plastic lenses pop out when the frame is gently warmed, metal frames have screws in the eyewire that are loosened to remove the lenses.

Step 3: Wash and dry the lenses thoroughly. Make sure the lenses are completely dry.

Step 4: Place the lenses in the lens holder that is used to immerse lenses in the dye tank. Place one lens on each side, and slide the top of the holder down, so the lenses are held snugly in place.

Step 5: Lower the lenses into the bleach (also called neutralizer) tank of the unit. Allow the lenses to sit in the bleaching solution for at least 10 minutes. Lighter lenses will begin to lighten and can clear in 10 minutes. Darker lenses can take much longer, up to an hour or more.

Step 6: Remove the lenses and check after 10 minutes to see if they have lightened to the desired amount. If the tint is not light enough, soak them again. Repeat the process until you have achieved the lightness you desire.

good luck.

Sure you can. Optical labs do it all the time when a job comes out too dark. A mixture of hot water and bleach (about 4 parts water to 1 part bleach) is about right, use a glass casserole dish to hold the liquid and just plonk the glasses down into the juice, there is no need to remove the lenses, bleach is not harmful to any normal kind of frame material (none that I have ever seen, at least). Check them every 10 minutes or so and when they look the way you want rinse them thoroughly and dry with a soft cotton cloth before wearing.

Anonymous

Why is it not working for my glasses? I have tried that several times and it does not work. What am I doing wrong?

Anonymous

Thank you

I used a ratio of 75% bleach to 25% hot water in a corning ware dish to lighten the medium brown tint on my plastic lenses. It took about 24 hrs & left a very pale tint, which was what I requested when I purchased the eyeglasses. DIY at home saved a trip back to the eyeglass shop!

My glasses are tinted just a little too dark. Does anyone have any ideas to lighten them a little?

By Melissa from Cullman, AL

If you just had them tinted and aren't satisfied, try taking them back.

Did you get them from an optometrist, opthalmologist, or optical shop (were they made-to-order), or did you buy over-the-counter sunglasses? If they were tinted for you, you can take them back and have them remove some of the color. If they are Transitions lenses, they cannot be lightened (although I don't think Transitions get very dark). I used to work for optometrists who had opticals, and it wasn't a big deal to remove a little color from the lenses that we had tinted.

Is there a home remedy to remove eyeglass tint?

By black from MD

Anonymous

If these are prescription glasses I certainly wouldn't mess with them by using homemade recipes we might suggest to you here but you could ask the professional place where you had the prescription filled if there is any safe way to do it.

I had my glasses for 2 years already it has a very light tint which its coming off already & I can't see try to scratch it of bt nt working plz any home remedies plz help...

I have eyeglasses that I had tinted about 1 year ago. The tint has started disappearing. Does anyone know what I can do to remove this tint and take them back to regular sunglasses? They have glass lenses.

By Barbara from Troy, MO

Answers:

How Do I Remove the Tint from Eyeglasses?

In my experience, the tint does fade over time. You can have them dyed darker to serve as sunglasses, but that will fade, too, over several years. Ask about doing this at any eyeglass store. (06/26/2010)

By OliveOyl