Renting a Car Without a Credit Card

A couple renting a car.
In the past you would have been unable to rent a car without a credit card. Things have changed, although you may face additional requirements to rent without the card, it is often possible. This is a guide about renting a car without a credit card.

I am planning a vacation to Minneapolis, MN and I need to rent a car. Can I rent a car without a credit card?

By Rachelle from Denver, CO

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Car rental agencies might accept a large cash deposit in lieu of a credit card. However, if you have a debit card, that can often double as a credit card. Check to see whether your debit card contains a Visa, Master Card, or other credit card logo. Just be sure there's cash enough in the account!

How to Rent a Car Without Credit

http://www.ehow … -car-credit.html

So glad for this website. Thank you for your help.

Anonymous

I am not sure if car rental companies still do this or not but I remember a couple of times long ago where they accepted a large cash deposit. When I returned the car the cash was used towards the rental and if money was due back to me it was paid back on the spot. Enjoy your vacation! :-)

Oh, and be sure to have your proof of insurance card with you and double check if your policy will cover possible damage to a rental car because if it does cover then you won't 'have' to pay the extra per day insurance charge.

I don't think so anymore - maybe the cash deposit thing, but there are legal and business reasons the Rental Car companies require a credit card. The only other option you have is if your Bank provided "Debit/ATM" Card has a VISA or Mastercard Logo on it. You can use the Bank Card as a Credit Card with the logo. Works fine. The payment will be charged directly to your Checking Account. Just make sure you have the balance to cover the transaction of course. This is accepted for Car Rentals, Airfare and any other vendor that accepts credit cards.

I didn't read all of the suggestions, but at one time I could rent "a clunker" from a used-rental place, and the cars weren't that bad, usually affordable, and they weren't too picky about local driving. Watch the personals in local newspapers for folks wanting to get their vehicles to the place you are going, and may be willing, with references, a deposit, and/or proper insurance, to let you drive it there for them. "Vehicle transport", might yield

something for your area online. Good luck and God bless you. :)