Renting a Car Without a Credit Card

In the past you would have been unable to rent a car without a credit card. Things have changed, although you may face additional requirements to rent without the card, it is often possible. This is a guide about renting a car without a credit card.

April 15, 2010 Flag

I am planning a vacation to Minneapolis, MN and I need to rent a car. Can I rent a car without a credit card?

By Rachelle from Denver, CO

Best Answer

Car rental agencies might accept a large cash deposit in lieu of a credit card. However, if you have a debit card, that can often double as a credit card. Check to see whether your debit card contains a Visa, Master Card, or other credit card logo. Just be sure there's cash enough in the account!

So glad for this website. Thank you for your help.

I am not sure if car rental companies still do this or not but I remember a couple of times long ago where they accepted a large cash deposit. When I returned the car the cash was used towards the rental and if money was due back to me it was paid back on the spot. Enjoy your vacation! :-)

Oh, and be sure to have your proof of insurance card with you and double check if your policy will cover possible damage to a rental car because if it does cover then you won't 'have' to pay the extra per day insurance charge.

I don't think so anymore - maybe the cash deposit thing, but there are legal and business reasons the Rental Car companies require a credit card. The only other option you have is if your Bank provided "Debit/ATM" Card has a VISA or Mastercard Logo on it. You can use the Bank Card as a Credit Card with the logo. Works fine. The payment will be charged directly to your Checking Account. Just make sure you have the balance to cover the transaction of course. This is accepted for Car Rentals, Airfare and any other vendor that accepts credit cards.

Consumer Advice General AdviceMay 2, 2013
Shopping Online Without a Credit Card
Shopping Online Without a Credit Card
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment
Credit Report on Table
Raising Your Credit Score
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 17, 2016 at 7:25:10 PM on 10.0.2.205 in 792 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.