Repairing Cigarette Burns on Carpet

Category Floors
Hot cigarettes or ash can burn and melt carpet fibers leaving an ugly, noticeable mark. This is a guide about repairing cigarette burns on carpet.

To repair cigarette burns or sparks from fireplace on carpet, first take small scissors and delicately cut away any seared, hard fibers that may be sticking up above the level of the carpet. Buy 3 shades of the cheapest acrylic paint (49 cents ea) close to the carpet color or colors. Use a q-tip to dab on tiny amounts of paint, allowing 15 minutes drying time between applications, until spot is camouflaged. No one will notice the burn!

Source: I don't know if it is out there or not. I have used this trick for years.

By Jeanne C. from Elysian Fields, TX

How do you remove cigarette burn marks in carpet? It is only 2 years old, there are probably 20 of them. I would like to save the carpet. Also, any suggestions for the best way to get smoke smell out of an apartment rental? I have shampooed the carpet, sprayed it with commercial product, but it still smells.

By llovato from CA

Anonymous

There are a lot of ideas regarding the carpet burns in the ThriftyFun Archives below. Scroll down towards the bottom of this page.

As for the smoke smell: Are you sure it's the carpet that still smells? Cigarette smoke and nicotine stains permeate all surfaces, including walls, windows and cabinets and will need to be cleaned with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution. If the walls are not gloss or semi-gloss paint be sure to use soft rags and a gentle touch so as not to rub the paint off.

Use a fresh razor blade and slowly, gently cut out the burned fibers. Then go to an area of your carpet that is hidden behind furniture, etc and again, slowly, gently cut out a few unburnt fibers. Take a good fabric or fiber glue and only use a small amount on the hole that remained after you cut out the burned fibers. Place the carpet fibers in the hole and press firmly and hold. let it dry completely. After the fibers have dried, go behind and gently "slide" the sharp edge of the razor across the glued fibers, shaving them off a bit to blend them in. As far as clearing up the smoke smell, I swear by Melaleuca Brand Sol U Mel for removing odors! if you google on Sol U Mel you'll see what I mean. Also, has the walls been repainted? if not, remember nicotine clings to flat paint. a good repaint would help tremendously. There is also a primer you can use specifically to cover nicotine. I got mine at Menard's Hardware.

How does one remove a cigarette burn from a carpet?

By Debora from PA

Answers:

Cigarette Burn on Carpet

Use an exacto knife and gently cut out the burnt carpet threads. Then find a corner or inconspicuous area and cut some of the fibers and glue them into the burnt spot. (02/17/2010)

By RealtorRose

I have cigarette burns in the carpet of my car. Can someone please tell me how I can get rid of them and/or disguise them? The burns are in conspicuous places and it looks awful. Thanks very much.

By metroplex from Houston, TX

Answers:

Cigarette Burn on Carpet

Cut a few fibers from the good carpet and fill in with glue. The carpet will look like new again. (04/18/2009)

By hercybaby

How to remove multiple cigarette burn marks from carpet?

Kendra from Revere, MA

Answers:

Cigarette Burn on Carpet

Cut or sand away the burned ends of the carpet fibers. Cut fibers will simply blend in if they're only slightly shorter than the surrounding carpet. Cut some carpet fibers from an inconspicuous portion of carpet elsewhere in the room, or from a matching carpet remnant and attach them to the cut fibers using household glue, if the remaining fibers are noticeably shorter than the surrounding carpet.

Good luck! (10/03/2005)

By Gail M

Cigarette Burn on Carpet

I had the same problem, so I took the scissors and cut the burned place down to the carpet backing, being very careful to not cut away any good carpet. Go to a corner and cut a strand or two from one place and go to another place and do the same. That way it won't be noticeable, do this until you have enough to fill up the hole. Use fabric glue and let it dry for awhile before vacuuming. It works perfectly. Mine has been in place for about 5 years and even stayed after 2 shampooings. (10/04/2005)

By Louise

Cigarette Carpet Burns

I just cut 'em out with scissors. Then rough 'em up with an old hair brush or something. Works for me. (04/18/2008)

By Lily 59

Cigarette Carpet Burns

Take a panty hose and put it over the wand and sweep the carpet. With the leftover fuzz you can take it from the stocking and then put glue in the hole and then add the fuzz. Hope this helps, it takes a good day of drying.
(04/18/2008)

By Sally M

Cigarette Burn on Carpet

I was freaking out because I just moved into a new place. It's a rental and found a cigarette burn in the carpet. I just took a regular nail file (emery board) and 'filed' it out. No one could ever tell now. It works like a charm and it didn't pull the carpet out. (02/05/2009)

By Jacqueline

Does anyone know how my mother can repair her carpet from a cigarette burn? She rents so she is very concerned. I'd like to help her.
- Michelle

Answers:

Carpet burns

I have heard that shaving it, with a razor, works well since you can remove very small amounts of burn at a time. But I would imagine that would depend on how bad the burn was. (09/07/2002)

By callielawrence

Carpet burns

I am assuming this is a small burn no more than 1/2" diameter. Using small scissors, carefully cut out just the burned threads. Then, from a hidden area of carpet, such as a room corner or inside a closet, clip some good "fuzz" off the top of the carpet, not going very deep. Put a little white school glue onto the former burned area, and glue these clippings into it. With a little strategic placement and fluffing, you can hide almost all the problem area. I successfully did this when my pet bunny decided that carpet threads were delicious (also in an apartment!) (09/11/2002)

By kathmiller

Cigarette Carpet burns

I have never used this tip myself but I have heard of it and told a friend one day who commented on a burn mark in her carpet. Try rubbing the area with fine emery paper/sand paper. She did this and only a very pale shade remained, but perhaps it could have been further treated.
(02/13/2005)

By dogxtc

Cigarette Carpet burns

Using an Exacto knife slowly remove burned carpet fibers from burned area. Be careful not to scrape the carpet bare - you want to only remove the burned top layer. Then using sewing glue, preferably transparent, slowly fluff and stick non-burned carpet fibers from hidden parts of the cars carpet (e.g. under car seats, trunk) in the newly cleaned area. This process can be very time consuming because the goal is to make the carpet look like nothing was ever done to it - so take your time (07/27/2005)

By From Canada

Cigarette Carpet burns

Squeeze glue into the hole and fill the hole w/ carpet trimmings. (02/19/2007)

By Nicole