Repairing Glass Ornaments

A treasured glass ornament is not easily replaceable. This is a guide about repairing glass ornaments.

Filter Sort

Question: Repairing a Broken Christmas Ornament

By p 1 1

Does anyone know how to repair an old glass ball ornament? It has sentimental value to me.

By p from RI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Isisnin 1 Flag

November 30, 2009Best Answer

Glass ornaments are so delicate, expandable foam could break it more. I'd leave it alone and hang it with the hole facing the tree so it can't be seen. Or, put some clear tape on it and color the tape. Or, find an ornament with similar color, break it and use a piece to cover the hole and glue on.

Also, fyi, craft stores sell clear, plastic round ornaments that open so you can put something in them and then close it up and hang it. I've done that with sentimental ornament just to protect them. Good Luck

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cornelia 45 72 Flag

December 1, 2009Best Answer

First glue the crack if it is still extant and in contact with it's mirror edge, that will help to strengthen it. Fill the ornament carefully with light cotton (pull cotton ball apart to loosen and lighten it). Put enough in the ornament to support the piece which is broken off, no more, do not stuff the ornament tightly. Use instant glue or costume jeweler's fast setting glue, place a very thin bead of glue on the edge of the broken piece.

Place it carefully in line with the broken edge of the ornament. Gently hold it in place until it sets. Leave the cotton in the ornament. Stronger ornaments you can take the cotton out, but you risk breaking the ornament if it is very thin. If it is strong enough and the paint is on the inside, you can take a sharp single edged razor blade and slice off any residual glue. If you even think it might be fragile, though, do not do this. Just dab any residual glue quickly with a clean Kleenex or Q-tip.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

December 1, 2009Best Answer

Perhaps Krazy glue a bit of decorative ribbon over the crack/hole ?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing Antique Glass Ornaments

By Molly C-N 2

I have a large quantity of antique glass ornaments that are in great need of repair. Is there anybody out there that knows what kind of "see-through" or glass paint, etc. that can be used to repair all the chipped paint? I'm getting a bad feeling that the original paint had mercury in it. For some reason, that's stuck in my memory. I sure hope I'm wrong! Thank you for taking the time to read all this and hopefully give me some suggestions.

By Molly C-N

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Glass Christmas ornaments.
Holidays and Parties Christmas Decorations OrnamentsJuly 21, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
Pink Purse on White Background
Repairing Purses
Fabric Can Lid Ornaments Finished
Tin Can Christmas Ornaments
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 1:54:46 AM on 10.0.2.177 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings